Anyone rocking a stock exhuast without resonator?

Umm okay well I have just discovered that my resonator in my stock exhaust is gone and thus is causing my car to be slow as shit.

The mechanic said I could either go with another resonator or just put a straight pipe in.

The resonator is probalby expensive, but I don’t want my car to be too loud…as some of you may remember I had a 3 inch Bee*R exhaust that I hated which is why I have the stock one on now. However, I wouldn’t mind if my car was a LITTLE louder than stock…

Anyone have any ideas/experiences as to how loud a stock exhaust with no resonator be ?

Thanks.

Also anyone know how much a resonator would be? The piping for a straight pipe is like 30-40…

Unless the guts of your resonator somehow got jammed in the piping and is hindering the flow, your mechanic fed you a line of bullshit.

O rly

ya rly

tru say

a buddy has an s2000 with stock exhaust w/out resonator and in place a straight pipe (aka resonatorectomy) i believe it cost around 50-60$ for the whole process to be done. make sure it’s welded on perfectly or else your car will sound like shit. overall his car sounds a bit deeper, not not that noticeable

i really don’t think much performance is hindered though due to a faulty resonator, especially if ur car is na. resonators is mainly to reduce sound vibrations right?!

i am with axlerod on this one…

there are certain times where a resonator will restrict flow, the very act of resonating is caused by the turbulence it creates, there can be a moment of high restriction at a certain rpm at a given load… but it’s not constant

ie if you feel a flat spot around 3k rpm going up a mild hill at half throttle, it will go away at 3/4 throttle or once you’ve crested the hill

and yes this affects na cars

tru say

a buddy has an s2000 with stock exhaust w/out resonator and in place a straight pipe (aka resonatorectomy) i believe it cost around 50-60$ for the whole process to be done. make sure it’s welded on perfectly or else your car will sound like shit. overall his car sounds a bit deeper, not not that noticeable[/quote]

holy crap 50-60 bucks for a straight pipe to put in? That is just nuts, you could cut it off and put a pip on urself with exhaust clamps for way cheaper…oh and the fact that it cost my $80 dollars cash to get my entire catback bent and put on(excluding price of muffler it was but elsewhere)

that was expensive, a shop shouldnt charge you anymore than 40 cash

no wai!! :lol:

put a straight piece instead of it if u want, dont see how any of this makes any difference in power what so ever

Its hardly a diffrence without one…Just get a new strait pipe or throw a cherry bomb strait threw muffler in there.

yeah there’s absolutely no difference between stock w/ and w/o resonator.

cut mine out cause it was rattling. sounded the same, but no rattle. :slight_smile:

LOL cherry bomb XD is it that shit CT sells lol

haha yea thats the stuff…Its stupid to use just that as a muffler…it’ll work perfectly as a resonator. Its high flow apparently gives you that deep tonne…w/e id still just weld in a strait pipe…I got a 2.5 inlet and outlet cherrybomb muffler for 5 bucks off a CRX guy at school who used it as a muffler. Idiot but its on my car as a resonator because something was rattling in my stock one…I get lots of great compliments with my stock crush bent catback which has been repaired god knows how many times with the Cherrybomb as my resonator and finaly my XL series magnaflow muffler. Not too loud not too raspy. Eventually id like to get a proper bent catback. I ran 3" catback before…sounded good wayy to loud…with this setup im happy and so is my gfs parents.

baller

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a120/SILMASTERFLEX/1145389618132.png