Anyway to fix a wet ipod touch gen 2?

My ipod touch gen 2 was dropped in the snow and I finally found it after about a month. Any idea if it can be fixed? It wont turn on now. Just wondering if the battery is dead.

You could try baking it out. Let it roast at what ever the highest SAFE temperature is for a day or two.
Ideally, before you try charging it and powering up the electronics.

I recommend letting it sit in a bag of rice for several days and after that try giving it a charge and see what happens.

I would not try powering it up until you’ve let it sit.

It does not sound promising, but good luck!

Wet for a couple seconds (like falling in a sink and immediately being yanked out) is one thing, but sitting outside for a month in the slop I really doubt anything is going to fix it.

Put it in a bowl of rice and toss the whole thing in your fridge overnight. Next day take it out and let it come up to room temperature and see what happens when you try to charge it. My guess, nothing, with a slight chance of smelling burnt electronics.

You’re always so good at saying what I never had the time or energy to convey, JayS.

OP, let us know if it worked. It’d be a Steve Jobs miiiiracleeeeee.

Im gonna do the rice thing and try that out.

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

Ill let you know what happens tomorrow. If it doesnt work you think I could take it somewhere to get fixed?

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

ipod is in a container of rice. Should I leave the lid off?

Good suggestions. In for results out of curiosity. If it wasn’t on while soaking there’s hope. If it was on and got real wet it probably shorted out. Drying it out before applying power is the only hope. if it isn’t already fubar.

Look inside the headphone jack,has the Liquid Submersion Indicator been activated? Half will be pink,half will be white it its been activated and if thats the case…its fucked.DO NOT bake it in or attempt to heat it because the battery will probably explode.

People do buy broken ipods on craigslist/ebay and you could probably get $40-$50 for it or more depending on size.Taking it somewhere would be uneconomical,it would need a new logic board and it would cost probably $100+.

Once liquid comes in contact with these things,they’re never the same depending on what part of the board it flows to you will end up with either no power,no touch,white screen,no wifi.

Yea baking it is a terrible idea

I guess I glossed over that…LOL.
I wouldn’t BAKE electronics. I mainly read the rice bowl idea to absorb moisture. Whooops.

Rice probably isnt going to do jack if the things been outside for that long.

Id put it on a vent or someplace warm for a day, plug it in and see what it does. Id imagine it looks like hell inside.

Hows the warranty status on it? You can check it on Apple’s site. If its in warranty, or barely out, Apple will probably cover it if you’re nice to them.

You can soak the thing under water if you want if it is all taken off before it is started up. One would thing it won’t turn on from the battery being dead?

Let it dry A VERY LONG TIME. Find some desiccants, or use rice if you don’t have it. You want to drive the remaining moisture out before you bring the juice back. Then see what happens. Someone that works for me dropped her Iphone 4 in her soup at lunch and it still works. Turned it off right away, let it sit in a box of desiccant for a week.

The pink strip is half pink. Its sitting in a rice bowl right now. If its toast ill try and sell it I guess.

Alright. No luck. I took it out and plugged it in for about 15 mins and nothing. No weird smells but I think its totally fried. Now what? lol

He did say to leave it in the bowl of rice for a week…maybe you should try more than just 1 day?

lol

:picard:

Do you guys read every post? I tried this one so relax.

:fail: right back at ya buddy

Even if it would power on, it probably would have odd issues, or fail quickly.

The bag of rice thing might work if it takes a tumble into water, or if it sits in it powered off for a little while… A month outside in a snow bank? Its probably fucked.