Apple vs. PC

This thread is awesome.

If every person here who has not spent significant time working on an intel based apple had their posts removed… how many negative comments would there really be in this thread?

Every single “PC Guy” I know who has taken the leap and purchased an Apple, spent enough time with it to get over the learning curve ended up loving it. The biggest issue with the “expert pc users” is that being an expert user on one platform, it is extremely easy to become frustrated when being forced to be in the beginner category again.

The biggest different between Apple and PC’s on the surface is obviously design and OS, but it is the subtleties that make an Apple, an Apple. Things that have already been mentioned like gorgeous industrial design, huge improvements in hardware items like magnetic power cords, accelerometers that sense your laptop dropping and will shut down your harddisk in a fraction of a second, ambient light sensors that automatically adjust monitor settings based on your environment, not to mention the countless other possibilities with these items. Brilliant integration of cameras, microphones and IR sensors. Outstanding monitors!

It is the incredible integration of all of the items, along with countless other things that contribute to one thing. Great User Experience. It’s the whole package…

Dan, you of all people should appreciate Apple products… the innovation and engineering that goes into these products is substantially more impressive than what I’ve seen from a PC manufacturer in a long time.

I think one reason so many people like to rip on Apple and Apple products is because they get a thrill out of the diy/engineering aspect of buying components and building systems, and Apple takes that away from them. I don’t really know what to say about that other than plugging PCI cards into slots isn’t really that cool, or fun in my opinion.

Beyond User Experience, there isn’t a PC out there that even compares to my imac in a technical manner. And by Technical, I don’t mean speed, I mean the combination of speed, form, size, quality, etc. I have one necessary wire connected to my imac… a power cable. The imac runs almost completely silent, and sleeps instantly with the push of a button. Also wakes instantly with the push of a button. It has never crashed. I have had ripped software crash, but never the system. It has a tiny footprint, and no need for me to buy an external monitor, although I could add a second, if I wished.

I just don’t understand what is not to like about a brilliant product like this… The price argument is invalid - most of the cars people lust after on here are simply sexier versions of the same car they could get for half the price used. I mean why buy a Z06 when you could buy a Camaro with some bolt-ons? Why buy an STi when you can swap an STi drivetrain into a 99RS?