OMG New Apple MacBook Air

Wow… Can’t believe there were no post by the Mac lovers yet.

new MacBook Air - 3lbs
http://images.apple.com/macbookair/images/buynowstrip_air20080115.png
Umm, check out the price of the solid state drive model. :roll2:

Apple time Capsule - Wireless AccessPoint & Storage
iPod Touch major update

www.apple.com

I’m most excited about the apple TV 2.0 for $229 with HD movie rentals etc.

but the air would be what I would get if I was buying my macbook all over again today.

solid state hard drive is the shit, forget the price, it’s amazing they are even offering it. so much faster, more durable, and better on the battery life.

This laptop is meh specs suck.

Yeah but hard drives are, I’ll say, not the main reason why laptop batteries go to shit. That title will go to people leaving the battery in whilst plugged into an outlet. Overcharging a battery ftw.

Nice that Apple is finally copying Sony from 7 years ago.
Sony offered a complete line of slim compact models that you would have to hook up external peripherals. So Apple isn’t ahead of the curve or breakthrough.
Woohoo, technology!

I’m predicting within a year Apple makes a Tablet Notebook. This would make complete sense since a lot of the end users are in graphics design. But it will probably cost high $2500 range.

actually… I read on TUAW that a tablet was in the works already

as for the macbook air… ehhh, nothing special imo. overpriced

Who would have guessed that you could build an empire based solely on better packaging and marketing?

:word:

I would say their success is a result of a pleasant user experience and marketing to the high end consumer.

yeah, i loved smacking my 60G ipod vid against shit to try to get it to unfuck til i gave it to Full Circling

I disagree (at least with the high end consumer comment)… their “high end” isn’t even close to the realm of PC’s with the exception of maybe publishing and film (I’m just talking industrial/Corp. software)

However, I believe their market share doubled from 4% to 8% when they released the x86 processors over the g3/g4’s and along with that, a whole new marketing campaign.

Honestly, I don’t think apple would be where it is currently without the ipod

edit: however, you may be right with the user experience although I know a bunch of people who swear by Apple, yet haven’t used one since the Apple II

Apple is making HUGE strides in the Enterprise environment also MANY government agencies are rolling out Macs.

yeah, read about that (they wanted to use/integrate as many systems as they could?)

actually, wasn’t that posted here?

did you really just say that their high end consumer marketing fails in the business arena?

i want to build a server cluster of x-serv’s ;(

In the academic market, it went from more of 33% to about 30% of computer sales. I think it is hovering around 35% of retail counter sales at UB. As for departmental sales, Windows still dominates. However there has been a surge in sales for use in departments, still not enough to make them a true force in education. I think price, unfamiliarity with the Apple platform, and limitation of configuration are the big reasons for this.

And correct. If it wasn’t for the success of the iPod, it is doubtful that they would be as huge as they are. iPod put them on the map, and now they basically get a ton of free promotion and marketing every time they release a product due to the hype that it generates. Sadly, they are not the originators of half of the products that they release. Archos and Creative release MP3 players with features built in before Apple does. Sony released a thin platform notebook YEARS ago.

But the saddest part of it all is when students come in to buy a computer and they buy an Apple with NO previous experience with one. They think they are pretty. Happens on a daily basis.

I have the 12.4" model, it sucks (I didn’t think it was 7 years, more like 5)

my overall thought it that apple wins because they have the best package.

Their hardware, software, support, applications, interfaces all work together like no other company can provide.

Now that’s a nice place to be as a consumer.

this is the only thing I disagree about.

no, thats not what I meant.

I more so meant that a lot of developers of high end industrial/corporate software don’t seem to be interested in making products that support Apple OS, with the exception of film and illustration (and music).

In a corporate environment, a PC is not only cheaper, but it’s almost guaranteed to meet the needs of the employees and IT staff, where an Apple might be a little harder to get in the door as a result of the two. I just don’t ever see it as a dominate platform in any foreseeable future.

Pretty much, almost everything that can be run on a Mac, is also made for PC… but the opposite isn’t necessarily true for Windows software running on a Mac (I know you can run bootcamp and shit… but in the business world, that doesn’t seem like something most companies would want to deal with)

EDIT: I think the right move for apple to make, would be releasing OSX for ANY x86 based PC (without needing to patch the ISO). Get it on as many machines as possible and take even more market share, but that would kill their desktop sales IMO

who knows though… only time can tell, especially if they keep gaining market share