Appraisal on cars 20 years or older?

So if I’m buying a 1991 240sx, I’ll have to get it appraised? or can you just pay tax on black book value?

“Payment for retail sales tax on the greater of the wholesale value (from UVIP) or purchase price from the bill of sale. Please note that for a passenger and light commercial vehicle (2,200kg and under empty weight) 20 years or older, the Retail Sales Tax is payable on the greater one of the following: the purchase price, the replacement value for insurance purposes, or the appraised value. An appraisal document or insurance document showing the value of the vehicle must accompany the bill of sale.”

That sucks :frowning:

ya u need the appraisal for sure

When I bought my 1990 shell and switched the ownership I just paid the sales tax for the amount that was shown on the UVIP. I didn’t need an appraisal at all.

Maybe it wasnt 20 years old yet?

I went to one MTO and they told me I needed an appraisal cause it’s 20 years older. I have an 89 hatch. I went to a different one, and they didn’t ask for it.

It all depends on which one you go to, try another one if they ask you.

LOL, I guess i should have stated that I registered it in December, so it could have been considered 20 years.

^yep, i went to another MTO trying to register my 89 cressida, they said i didn’t need an appraisal unless its 86 and older

I can’t find a cheaper appraiser for nothing, every place I called wants $180. I mean if it comes down to it I’ll pay that much because I don’t really have a choice, ffs -___-

I got mine appraised for $50, just check out random shops you’ll catch a deal eventually

got mine done for a case of beer, find a buddy of a buddy or something

I’m telling you dude, if you need it for registering the car only… don’t bother. Just go to a different MTO if the one you went to asked for it. Your wasting your money.

not sure where you are but i have a guy that i think only charges $50 for appraisals

in hamilton.