Attempted a tire change at walmart...

I had to pick up a few things today as well as finally get the snow tires off my daily. So I decided to go to walmart and get everything done in one shot. I tossed my summer tires in the back of the car and headed off. The auto center told me it would be about an hour before they could get my car in but they could do the tire change/balance for $50.

So I wondered around the store for an hour and picked up the things I needed, then checked my car, which was still in the lot and hadn’t even been pulled in yet.

Another hour and a half later and they finally called me over to the auto center, I expected everything to be all set for a simple tire swap on stock wheels, but no of course they had an issue. The woman at the counter told me they didn’t have the right tool to take off my lugs.
me: “um excuse me? They’re stock lugs and not keyed”
her: “yes, well the socket didn’t fit”
me: “did you try the tire iron in the spare tire tool kit in the trunk”
her: “they’re not allowed to use any tools that are not their own”

holy fuck what a waste of time. I don’t understand how they didn’t have a 17mm socket that could fit. My thick walled 17mm impact socket fits with plenty of room to spare.

Just another reminder of why I should avoid walmart at all costs.

What time did this happen at today?

I assume you’re asking because you work or know someone who works at walmart, but you should know I’m not in the state.

We can’t use any tools other than our own b/c of liability issues, i know its retarded but they have too many people who try to sue them for using other peoples tools with permission.

thats fine and good and all, why what excuse is there for a shop not having a 17mm socket?

No. Because if it was around closing I bet they used it as an exscuse to not work on yir vehicle

ah, I see. Well it was 10am… They definitely weren’t getting ready to close

I’d call the store manager.

retards

they shouldve just gone out in the store, pulled a socket out of one of the Campbell Hausfield impact sets, used it and put it back when they were done.

Your giving them too much credit to think outside the box.

i’ll do your tires mang. Just gotta get set up here.

One more reason I dread setting foot in that hellhole of human existence. 90% of the people spending money out of their pockets or taxpayers pockets, make me want to punch a homeless child in the face. Most of the employees are about on par with a ill speaking 6th grader, retaking said grade 3 times attempting to pass. Just about every time I go to that god forsaken establishment I am reminded why I was thankful my mother didnt do drugs while I was in the womb, and that they didn’t allow me to eat the paint chips.

Back on track, if I were in your shoes, i would write a formal complaint and motion to fire the “mechanic” and write up the supervisor. Fire based on not having the necessary tools to complete the labor they are paying them to do. A single, $4 socket is all they needed to complete the work. Think about that, next time someone you know gets brakes done there! I wouldn’t even let them change my wiper blades. The supervisor should have enough brains like PJB said and tell the douche to go get a socket off the tool isle and complete the job, that socket is coming out of your pay.

They don’t do brakes. And don’t you thinking you’re a little out of line to say most of the associates? They also are not allowed to just take things off the shelf. Also writing a letter will be a waste of time. Pick up a phone. Best bet for a quick resolution.

Or just move on with life.

• Good that they don’t do brakes.
  • Nope I am not out of line. Key word I added was most. Most as in overwhelming majority. I am sure there is one or two decent, respectful and “smart” people working there. But the other 50 on staff each shift make it a needle in a haystack when you actually need assistance… thus giving me my poor attitude towards anything and everything Walmart.
  • I didnt say take it off the shelf, I said buy it with your pay. A 17mm socket is one of the most used sizes on earth. its not like they are removing cylinder heads with a triple square odd ball size $30 tool you might use once. Its the most rudimentary socket that allows you to complete your task in which puts food on the table.
  • I didnt mean literally write a letter apply postage and mail it in. I meant walk to desk, ask for tech that cant find his sockets. then ask for his supervisor. then escalate as necessary, and sign paperwork if needed.

It doesn’t work that way. Techs don’t buy and own tools they use. You also live in Amsterdam so your description accounts for the population of the area.

THIS.

Then whose tools do they use? Magic fairy tool princess comes down and give you the impact and socket?

Either they own their own tools and use only theirs to complete the work they are given. Or they are provided with tools, in which Walmart should have provided the tech with said 17mm. No mater which, my comments still stand valid, Tech is ill-equipped to simply remove lugnuts, or the entire establishment or at least the tire center is ill-equipped to do business… take your pick.

I agree fully that the amsterdam one is full on shit mostly because of the population working and patronizing said store. But so is the Johnstown/gloversville one, the scotia one, the albany one next to X-gates… All of which I had the pleasure to attending and hating every moment. Name one GREAT, over the top, excellent, stupendous, every employee… never mind that… more than 1/3 of the employees on shift are go-getters, willing to stop what they are doing and graciously assist others with 110% respect every step of the way to and from my car. Naahhhhhgunnahappen.

Walmart in Cobleskill mounted and balanced a pair or 245/35-18’s on my 18x9.5 sportmax. Not a single scratch and it was like $7 or something :lol Took like 3-4 guys but they did it :rofl