Audi people - Problem 2 with my A4

On my way home lastnight, when I used the turn signal, It would only flash once or twice and go out, even with the signal still engaged. This morning I left my house, and I have no turn signals or hazards.

First I assumed it was just the flasher, but I was told that the hazard lights switch in the center of the dash controls the turn signals, too. Is this true? I hate being “that guy” that doesn’t use signals.

just wondering, did you VAGcom it yet? that should be able to tell you the exact problem.

not sure how the newer cars are, but check the relay, maybe its loose or going bad. did you check the plug that runs into the hazard switch, could be loose. once again, im not 100% sure how the newer ones are set up, but its worth a try

Can’t help on a B5 model. I don’t know how those were controlled like the newer ones.
But like said ^^^ VAG COM is your friend.

if it’s like vw from the same era, yeah, the flasher module controls the turns too. I think I have an extra one in my garage if you want it. I won’t be back home until next sunday though.

The other thing to maybe try is spraying some crc electronics cleaner into the turn signal stalk. They have a a habit of running out of grease and the little bits of metal from the contacts can trip out. In my case, it meant that it would cause the lights to flash really fast and without engaging the turn signal. that sucked.

Thanks 1st v-dub, but I’m just going to take the hit at the dealer, hopefully fix it on Monday.

What is this VAGcom? Never heard of it. Audis are a fairly new deal to me.

Thanks, will check everything mentioned.

change the flasher button. power for the turns operate through the hazard switch. always have on any vw/audi, and pretty much any other car.

I think random electrical problems are completely normal for Audi/VWs so there is no need for concern.

explanation : http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/index.html

to sum it up its pretty much a VW/AUDI/SEAT OBD scanner, but it read the codes and you can go through it and program things (like disabling DRLS, ect)

wrong, never had issues with my car

I wouldn’t call this a random electrical problem, I’m pretty sure it’s a shitty switch.

Me neither. On any VW Audi I’ve ever owned.

lol… it’s a recall

there is plenty more than just flashers that go on with the hazard switch… in some cars it’s the load reduction and in others the entire splitter for the dash power… when my hazard went i lost wipers, turns, dash lights, blower motor and horn… great times on the turnpike in a rain storm.

the hazard switch is the relay and i’m going to doubt it threw any codes. if anything there will be shorts to ground under the instrument cluster component… this would be nothing under engine electronics nor would there be a code associated.

The ignition switch crapped out in my dad’s A4, couldn’t take the key out of the ignition. It was a PITA.

100% sure it’s the hazard relay/switch. I’ve replaced mine twice… the second time was four weeks ago.

like i said, im not 100% sure how the newer ones are set up, but its worth a try… i dont mess with new VWs, they just dont interest me…

well then why even post? Luckily for us all this is an audi thread that I wouldn’t have thought you to post in to begin with. if i were you, i’d hold off for the 8v helper threads :hsugh:

although I don’t think this is the issue… this is great info! I had the same happen to me… but it was more like about 5 seconds after i would turn and the stalk would return to ‘center’ i would get a few aberrant clicks either right or left in the ‘fast’ motion, as if a bulb was burnt out… i popped the steering column apart and the amount of dust and debris in there was surprising… the contacts were all gunked up which is exactly what Chris is explaining!

It was the hazard switch. Picked one up from Day Audi today because Sewickely didn’t have any in stock. Popped out the old switch, plugged in the new one, and everything was good. Got the turns and hazards back.

Thanks for the info, all.

because its a PUBLIC forum and he asked for help, and i made some suggestions :hsugh: