Avoid Northwest Airlines like t3h HIV

[quote=“Itagaki,post:13,topic:33620"”]

Say HI to Mikey for me!

I might just have to drive down to Charlotte, NC in September instead of flying. I did have a few problems with NWA back in April coming back from Greenville, SC but nothing as bad as this. :gotme:

Customer service is a dead art, much like chivalry.

[/quote]

I will say Hi. He’s getting married. That’s why I’m going down there.

Back on topic, I totally recommend driving. Actually renting a cheap-o car may be cheaper and less stressful than flying.

[quote=“Locutus,post:4,topic:33620"”]

Continental FTW

[/quote]

:tup: not always on time, but always good service once your in flight :slight_smile:

News flash for those of you who have been asleep for the last decade: air travel sucks.

[quote=“rskrause,post:23,topic:33620"”]

News flash for those of you who have been asleep for the last decade: air travel sucks.

[/quote]

:word: anyone who’s flown more than twice will tell you all airlines suck! i’ve been screwed over by northwest, delta, continental, american, you name it.

The entire industry sucks right now.
It is because they are trying to make it affordable for everyone to fly.
This is a huge mistake because it creates way to much traffic and screws everything up.
They should have fewer, more expensive flights.
I have taken hundreds of flights over the years and the cheaper it gets the more it sucks.
It used to be a luxury, now it is like taking public transportation.

Are very good article about one of the major causes of delays in the current system, the antiquated air traffic control system.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/air_space/4219569.html

The good news, they’re in the process of replacing it. The bad news, it won’t be done until 2025.

http://media.popularmechanics.com/images/sky-gridlock-route-250-0807.jpg
This 68-minute US Airways Flight 2046 (yellow) uses about 275 gal. of fuel to fly 585 miles from Washington, D.C., to Boston, Mass. The same flight under NextGen (blue) would save 23 minutes, 91 gal. and 185 miles. (Illustration by Golden Section Graphics)

While we’re ranting about airlines, Air New Zealand sucks. They tried to make their seats extra comfortable by making the seat bottom slide forward and up, not just the seat back lean back. Well that puts a big ass pressure point on the front of your legs. So to compensate for that there’s a rotating foot-rest-bar on the seat in front of you to rest your feet on a few inches higher. OK pressure point’s gone but now you’ve lost leg room and are confined to one position. I’ve been on plenty of 8+ hour flights, all in cattle class, and they’re all long and boring but that’s the only one that I would describe as painful. So if you ever get to go to the south pacific, stay away from Air New Zealand if you can help it.

pilot over-hours is the reason my flight was cancelled in Orlando, causing me to have to miss my class…and wind up gettin stuck in phili for a day

Pilots can only fly 30 hours in the preceding 7 days, and 100 hours every calender month. NWA is short pilots, so while the pilots are at work, they extend them to fly more than they were originally scheduled. Its a short term fix, because now that pilot is going to “time out” sooner in the month and cannot do anything until the 1st of the next month. The only solution is to hire more pilots, or reduce the amount of flights.

[quote=“evilsrt,post:29,topic:33620"”]

The only solution is to hire more pilots, or reduce the amount of flights.

[/quote]

Or make the flights shorter by updating the air traffic control system. With the current system it’s like getting in your car to go to Albany from Buffalo and driving first to Jamestown, then to Binghamton, then to Syracuse, then to Albany instead of going straight down the 90 to Albany.

[quote=“JayS,post:26,topic:33620"”]

This 68-minute US Airways Flight 2046 (yellow) uses about 275 gal. of fuel to fly 585 miles from Washington, D.C., to Boston, Mass. The same flight under NextGen (blue) would save 23 minutes, 91 gal. and 185 miles. (Illustration by Golden Section Graphics)

[/quote]

Who would have knew? A straight line is faster then going out of the way. Do they have a team of monkeys working on this?

i’ve only even flown Continental and AirTran (once). Id never go airtran again, they are horrible.

Continental FTW :tup:

[quote=“9c1,post:31,topic:33620"”]

Who would have knew? A straight line is faster then going out of the way. Do they have a team of monkeys working on this?

[/quote]

Ha ha… except if they tried to fly in a straight line today, they’d crash into each other because air traffic control coverage isn’t sufficient.

Psh. If I can drive in 2 dimensions with more vehicles in a smaller area, then pilots oughta be fine with 3 dimensions and a lower vehicle density.

Granted, I’d rather sit on the plane longer than have them dodging other aircraft, but still.

[quote=“BikerFry,post:34,topic:33620"”]

Psh. If I can drive in 2 dimensions with more vehicles in a smaller area, then pilots oughta be fine with 3 dimensions and a lower vehicle density.

[/quote]

The problem is you don’t have to collide to have a problem. The wake turbulence created by a 747 means no planes can occupy the area directly behind it for 4-6 miles, depending on the following plane’s weight. And that 4-6 mile zone is invisible.

Can’t they just fly at different altitudes or something? They can pass right over each other a good 5,000ft apart or something.

I don’t really have a choice but to use them once every 2 years to fly to Minnesota, they are by far the cheapest and most convenient. I have not had any problems yet, and they just got brand new A320’s for the route I fly.

All airlines suck ass anyway, the entire system is maxed out, it needs to be regulated again otherwise the airlines will only be concerned with staying in business at any cost, which means impossible flight schedules, overbooking, and constant cost cutting.

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/08/08/getting_high_with_ri.html

or that

That sucks to hear Dave hopefully they reimburse you.

On a similar story. My gf’s roommate in college went home to Texas for Easter break, the plane was delayed coming back something silly like 15 minutes, yet they gave her a “anywhere in the US roundtrip voucher”. When she used that to go to Florida her flight was delayed 20 minutes for something dumb and out of the airlines way, yet they gave her another “anywhere in the US roundtrip voucher”.

I wish things like that would happen to me jeez.

i just killed like 6 flies in a row here at work with an SAT registration booklet :tup: