backfire (small)

so i get a small back fire when i shift at around 3k. I think it is running rich but just a guess(lots of carbon on the muffler tip). Change my plugs?
02 sensor looks ok. maf?? any help would be apreiated.
s14 sr20det with common bolt on’s

ya thats normal chill out do you have a bov or is it stock

my bov is hks recirculated. the car idles perfect, just kind of anoying everyshift when im just cruising…

well if your running rich you would see more black smoke

Very common with the SR. Some people love it. It doesn’t bother me much. With RB, it spits flame sometimes. THAT I like.

kind of bugs me… im just worried im running rich and wont pass emisions

Backfires are sooo sick…mine does it when its running hot. I wish it just gargled away every time I down shifted.

Flames are way cooler for sure.

my rb back fires big flames i like it. Chill its nice

my ka backfires LOL… running rich for sure. KAs are rich pigs. MAF possibly (i need to replace mine, i had a problem with i several weeks back… when i hit it, the problem goes away… go figure). If you get a chance, do clean your MAF.

Did you get your car tuned? Mods/upped boost but no tune? If so probably a good idea to get it professionally dyno tuned.

Backfiring on your own car is not cool in my opinion, it is only cool in videos. I rather use less fuel, grab less attention, and make more power haha.

Btw, do you have a cat?

Whats the best/safest way to clean our MAFs?

HAHA, Rory is that my old KA you’re running? Fuck man I miss that motor, thing was indestructable! I loved the little farts she did and when she shot flames. If you’re wondering why its doing that now, its the timing shes running really rich. I had her richened out a little for better winter performance (colder air meant fuel burned more efficiently). Just throw 91 in her and shell run much better!

i use this from gm lots of success…if you still see carbon after using it get a q-tip and soak it with this stuff and gently rub off carbon…gl

also try cleaning ur throttle body

going to start by cleaning my maf and see what happens from there. running about 10lbs of boost with stock tune. (thinking about nistune now though)