bad f---n day....

My buddy calls me last night, because he drove though a puddle and his car died. heres some background info. last night it was raining buckets of rain, like you could almost drive a jetski on the streets, so he was turning onto main st, crawling along, becuase there was no way around, and the cops were directing traffic when his car died. done. it is a 95 eclipse, 420a boosted at 8lbs, spared no expense. and now hes toast. heres a video to paint a small picture.

why the fuck would he go through such a big ass puddle

did he like sit in the fucking puddle, by the looks of it, it seems the whole front end was submerged.

watch the vid
i know what happend but it just suks

i did watch the video…but it takes a ton of water for that much to get sucked up

he was driving off one street turning onto main st. there was no way around it, so he creeped through. i guess it was insanley deep.

Toast

only in the puddle for 6 min max enough to get someone else to help him push it out of the way. Now its time for a built motor, with way more boost another project for the redline crew. hahaha we only have 2 cars out of 15 still able to drive. the rest are blown up motors trannies, or just a build.

watched the vid, wtf did he do? sit in the water and wind out the motor? that is a LOT of water to suck up from “crawling through”… unless his turbine inlet is 2" off the ground.

Where was his intake?

Amherst poor drainage strikes again. I remember last summer during a real bad storm cruising around in the truck and the water on some streets was more than 1/2 way up the tires. The big fuckin tires on my expedition. :ohnoes:

It’s fun when you have a vehicle that can take it though.

“no way around” or “didn’t want to back up / turn around / take another street”

sucks, but no pity here. gee, a broken DSM, that’s a shock

[quote=“JayS,post:10,topic:37298"”]

It’s fun when you have a vehicle that can take it though.

[/quote]

:word:

i love crashin the sheridan dr puddles with my ranger.

[quote=“dmoffitt,post:11,topic:37298"”]

. gee, a broken DSM, that’s a shock

[/quote]

What does DSM have to do with ANYTHING in this case

[quote=“Violator,post:13,topic:37298"”]

What does DSM have to do with ANYTHING in this case

[/quote]

Well the car being a dsm, i think has alot to do with it.

It was a joke, lighten up

anyone that thinks it takes a LONG time to suck up that much water from a puddle is insane

thats like saying it takes a log time to fill up a 5 gallon bucket in a stream

standing water + 2 inch(?) inlet pipe + 2.0l ideling at 700rpm = about 100 gallons / minute water pumping capacity (assuming 30% VE at idle)

at that rate, it would take less then a second to put one gallon of water into the engine - assuming the inlet was fully submerged

it wouldnt take more then 10 seconds to blow the engine if the inlet was even partialy submerged

[quote=“HotRodKid,post:15,topic:37298"”]

it wouldnt take more then 10 seconds to blow the engine if the inlet was even partialy submerged

[/quote]

which is exactly what the question is.

i have no idea how much vac he was pulling @ idle / “crawling” speed… but i don’t forsee it gulping that much water unless it was submerged…

the car was submerged to the headlights, says so in the video description

[quote=“HotRodKid,post:17,topic:37298"”]

the car was submerged to the headlights, says so in the video description

[/quote]

oh. well that explains it. :slight_smile:

i tend not to read YouTube

[quote=“HotRodKid,post:15,topic:37298"”]

[/quote]

And thats being generous

and to answer the questions, the air intake is almost in front of the passenger tire, and yes the water was pretty fucking close to the headlights. Bad idea he knows, but it is too late now, and there was no backing up, there was a line of cars on his ass. so i dont know what else to tell you. It happend, it sucks, time for a rebuild. not a big deal, it was gonna be done anyways.