Best route from NC coast to WNY.

Who’s done the drive before? Mapquest is sending me this way.

mapquest route

It looks simple enough, but I’m just wondering if there is a faster way. If I plug in Rochester as a destination the route is much different and adding on 50 minutes to get from Rochester to Buffalo makes it only slightly longer on estimated time.

rochester mapquest route

The thing that concerns me with the Rochester route is it takes me much closer to the coast, which is where the major population centers are. I’ve driven in and around DC before and the traffic there was horrible. Figuring I’ll leave Wilmington by 11:30am or so, I’d probably be near DC around 5… not a good thing.

Anyone have any good route suggestions?

i would go around the mountains and not thru them…just open the GTO up a lil bit to make up some time…so i say the 1st choice

route 19 ftw…you can learn the handling on it there…

your drive will be just as long but alot easier if you just take 40w to 52N to 79N to 77N to 90, no mountains…not along time in VA, don’t hit DC and by the time you hit pittsburg traffic will be over

I was in the same predicament you were in. I ended up coming 95 to 15, the road that goes to carlisle. Punch in the directions for Batavia, and then just g et on the thruway there.

No sidetrips to Deals Gap, aka Tail of the Dragon, thanks :wink:

Right now I’m planning on the first route, mostly because I’ll pass through Raleigh well before rush hour (and maybe steal a certain silver hockey item that should be in Buffalo) and then only have Pittsburg to deal with.

EDIT:… yeah, what auttiquattro said. I took too long to reply because people stopped by my desk.

take her on the inside (tenn) and hit up the dragon’s tail :tup:

EDIT: oops … no tail for you huh? thats no fun :stuck_out_tongue:

My flight leaves at 6:45am, I land at 10:20… I don’t need to add any more time onto this trip.

Besides, dragon’s tail in a car a barely know and just bought probably isn’t the best idea.

I still find it ironic that 2 buffalo people bought torrid red gto’s in wilmington, of all places. they giving you credit for the tax?

Yeah, when you told me that you got yours in the same place I thought the same thing. They are not charging me any tax. Of course, I still get the full 8.75% when I register it here <grumble> fucking ny </grumble>

thats one area where I lucked out. Because mine is a lease and NC collects their tax every payment instead of up front, I pay 3% ($8) every month and didnt have to pay tax to register it :slight_smile:

I drove from buffalo to fayetteville NC, this the the best route. I drove it mabe 25 times in my army career, many people trieed to go threw WV, always a bad idea. For the 1 time its faster, its slower 5 other times. this route is constantly free and pretty flat. from NC 95north-295 around richmond-95-495 east around dc-95-695 west around baltimore-81north-11/15north-63 (cuts corner off of 90)-90west-buffalo

I drive from Charlotte to Buffalo about 10 times a year. I always take the 77N (first one) route. From Charlotte to Buffalo is 650 miles and take a good 9 1/2 hrs.

I would not tempt being anywhere near DC or other major city on or around 5pm.

Mountain Tunnels FTW

Deffinately the first route.

My friend that lives in Chapel Hill would agree.

Thanks guys, route number one is the winner.

1. A lot less major cities.
  2. I don’t need to go near DC. With some of the things I’ve said about Hillary’s run for office, if I started heading for DC they might intercept me.
  3. Mountains + tunnels + 6 liters and dual exhaust… yeah, windows down radio off time. :slight_smile:
  4. More votes for #1, and that seems to be the way to make decisions today on NYHelpMeMakeDecisions.com. :lol:

the first route is basically my exact route to and from virginia beach

its all highway, better flowing, MUCH less chance of getting lost…

This little wonder of technology is my co-pilot, so I shouldn’t be getting lost:

http://www.garmin.com/products/sp330/

First route. i have been both ways.

Travelled the majority of the first route when going to Myrtle Beach, and the 2nd route basically when going to Raleigh for the Sabres game.

Although I cannot say which was actually faster… The 1st was is amuch nicer drive. The other way is very bland and boring.

Just don’t stop in west virginia…eep