Bike accident death on 787 tonight..

It may have been. When Shawn came in I think he said Josh Reagan and that John hart was the one the texted him but I’m not 100% sure. I’m waiting for him to get back to me this morning and let me know.

THIS

the section in front of the port of albany on top, and on the ramps are fucking horrid. When I rode to and from work, it was a major pain to weave around them… add traffic in both lanes and its even worse.

In my truck with 30" tires some of them, especially the slight bend to the right to hit the thruway exit 23 ramp these are sections in both lanes where you cant miss any of the holes, and hitting them at 55 they are HARSH. In my jetta with 18’s it would bend a wheel, I am hard on the brakes slowing down to try to avoid them every day.

On a bike, with a 25" dia tire or so with soft tires, with only a few inches of hard travel, hitting a 3-6" deep pot hole can easily bend/blow out a tire and send someone over the bars if they were sitting on the seat and didnt see it comming.

RIP to the rider.

SUCKS!! Hate Hearing about bike accidents. I heard it on ynn this morning. Hope whoever it is comes out ok…

RIP

i went to highschool with him. was a good guy.

Drove by it last night and bike was still down with emergency vehicles all over.Today i drove by and where all the outlines on the road im wondering if he hit that huge road heave right after south troy exit going south.Reason i say this and could be completely wrong is it lifted my rear axles off the ground yesterday goin 60 and this morning all 3 lanes with that problem were milled flat.
Rip

RIP… sucks esp if he wasnt doing anything stupid… hate hearing about stuff like this …

My cousin also went to high school with him… I didn’t know him personally but it always sucks to hear about any biker losing their life.

http://www.fox23news.com/mostpopular/story/Motorcyclist-killed-in-787-crash/YscatxygtUavVOSOgYLu2A.cspx

They are blaming it on high speed and inexperience. no mention of the poor condition of the road having any impact. Although on RidyNY someone posted that witnesses had seen the bike wobbling before it went down which tells me he either hit something (very possibly at a high rate of speed) and went into a death wobble… or he hit something and a tire went down.

I think it had more involved than just speed. MOST of the time, a bike won’t go into a death wobble just from high speed…

If he wasn’t pulling any stunts, it could be the combination of speeding and road condition.

I am sure lots of bikes pass thru that stretch of road daily but not everyone crashes. Just saying. :dunno

I’m not saying it wasn’t speed related… it most likely was, but to blame it purely on speed and inexperience when its a very slim chance the road had nothing to do with it just isn’t right. We probably won’t ever know for sure, but I know that I’ve almost lost it a couple times on 787 because of the road… and I wasn’t speeding.

buddy of mine laid down his ducati on alt 7 last week and, he’s fine a little road rash… bike is totaled. He got the death wobble out of nowhere cruising at 60-70. Just goes to show , it does happen and there are many little things that can cause it…

I know a very close friend of his. She is upset that they are naming inexperience as a contributing factor. Apparently he had recently gotten his license but has been riding his whole life. Only on paper was he a new rider.

No witnesses stated that he was doing any stunts

Sorry to hear about your friend.

So he has been riding “off road” for a long time? If she is upset, I think she should do something, may be notify the police and/or the media with the correct information.

So wait he only has been riding a street bike for a little while or has been riding his whole life illegally? I’m confused.

Also riding a dirt bike your whole life as a “experienced rider” isn’t the same as a street bike, yes there are some similarities but for the most part on and off road riding is a different beast.

Either way the media always screws shit up especially when they dont have much to go by, then they tend to fabricate the stories a bit to get the readers attention with no regards to victims families.

^^ not going to argue with any of your points, they are valid.

To clarify, i did not know him and I am just going by the statements of a friend who did.

I assume she meant dirt bikes and I agree they are a different animal.

Media couldn’t even get the time of day right. Most articles say 8:55pm but footage from WNYT shows the bike on the ground before sundown.

Death wobbles don’t just happen, there is always a reason. Road condition, tire pressure, suspension set up, how rider reacts, death grip etc.

i work with a guy whose been riding since 1960 something and has been in some serrious accidents. he was telling me that the wobble just doesn’t come out of no where either. said you can feel it coming on. then i said ‘what if you hit a pot hole’… he just said he didn’t think 787 was that bad.

I know another guy who got the wobble and when down… think he said it was bad road conditions.

Your just supposed to keep your hands on the bars, not fight it, and attempt to ride it out in this situation?

Many different strategies are discussed on the matter and everybody has their own technique. Some say get on throttle to lift pressure on wheel, others say get off and slow down. One thing for sure is you can’t fight it.

My motard being as aerodynamic as a brick with a huge front fender that makes the wheel lift has a wobble above 80mph every time. At first it wad frightening but you get used to it. I typically get light on the grips and slow down when the wobble gets worse after a bridge or a road heave.

I’ve noticed tire pressure has a very dramatic effect on the wobble as well as suspension setup. It seemed to get worse after me and Rocket Punch put the bike to book settings.

would a steering damper completely eliminate the possiblity of wobble?