Bleeding The Clutch System

I was thinking of bleeding my clutch system, but I’m not sure what oil to use to fill it up again. Any suggestions? Or do I just use any brake fluid out there?

I also have a stage 1 clutch now, so the pressure plate is quite a bit stiffer than before.

dot3 brake fluid

ok, I will try that.

i would remove the dampner box if you havent already before you refill the system and bleed.

why would u bleed the system when u just got a brand new clutch?

Alex, that was done when I did my 5spd. swap.

snowboard_240sx, why shouldn’t I?

wouldnt u have to bleed the clutch after u put a new one in anyways?

and when are u putting ur clutch in?

oh sorry man… it’s already done… the clutch that is.

I dont belive you have to bleed the clutch system after changing the clutch unless you changed the slave cyl…I bled mine because i changed the slave to eleminate future problems that may occur

ok… well, my slave wasn’t changed simply because it’s only about 10 months old now… The clutch pedal feels normal, there’s no freeplay or anything like that.

I guess I could leave it for now and see if there are any problems later on.

just for a heads up. before it leaves you stranded somehwere like it did to me i would remove the damper box. mine got jammed and gave me no clutch pedal. i had to drive 45 min with no clutch and chased the problem for about three hours a slave cylinder and a clutch mastercylinder. finally i removed the damper and there lies the problem. just as a heads up it stranded me and its pretty much useless soo. good luck

thanks for the info… I never bothered to put the damper box on my car. I did a 5spd. swap on it a while ago.

I do have another question though. My clutch engages when my pedal is really high, almost at the top.

Is there anyway I can fix this or is that somehow normal? I do have an Exedy Stage 1 clutch kit, and I thought it would be better than the stock one I had, when it comes to the engagement point. But it’s exactly the same as it was before, except the pedal feels a lot stiffer, because of the pressure plate.

Get under the dash and look at the shaft on the back of the clutch pedal that pushes inwards into the clutch master cylinder and you should see a small 12mm nut…just loosen that nut and the then spin the shiney shaft…i cant remember which way you spin it to get it to engage further down or higher up…go one way try it…then go the other…

yeah, I did try that, but that only moves the pedal closer to the floor. So the pedal isn’t aligned properly with the brake pedal then.

It does however make the clutch engagement seem closer to the floor.

…So? That’s not inherently a bad thing, it gives you the same effect as having the clutch engage closer to the floor, since you really shouldn’t ride with the clutch pedal pushed in, no matter where it engages. Why would you care that it’s lined up with the brake pedal? Other than aesthetics, which, if it matters to you on your pedals, you should probably consult someone with a degree… Really, there’s no reason for it to line up.

I do care if it aligns properly and it should align properly with the brake pedal. If Nissan didn’t think it should be like that, then it certainly wouldn’t be.

And no, I don’t want to just adjust the pedal height, I want to find out why my clutch engages when the pedal is almost at the top.
If you feel like driving a car where the pedals are misaligned, then by all means do so. I don’t.

I’ve seen clutches engage as soon as you let go of the pedal, right at the floor. Namely the ACT clutch with the ACT pressure plate for the KA.

I’m pretty sure there’s something wrong with my clutch hydraulic system and I want to find out what.

btw, thanks for the useless input. I’m sure I’ll talk to someone “with a degree” about misaligned pedals in a car.

having the brake pedal lined up with the throttle is important to me. But only lined up when your firmly on the brake pedal so a heel or a slight roll of the foot will give bump your rpms for downshifting for a corner. Other than that ive been test driving numerious cars now after owning S13’s for a year and their pedals are all over the places some clutches are Looooong and a foot away from the brake…some are soo close i couldnt see how a big person could ever drive the car(old beetles) You want that clutch engaging 1/2 way from all pressed all the way in to fully released.

my clutch engages at the top of the pedal too… i dont know why either. its the first 5spd car ive ever driven that does that. seems like we’re in the same boat!

im also wondering why it does that.

you should be able to adjust it

personally I like a short clutch pedal movement with a little stiffness so you can use your ankle to clutch instead of your knee

hmm… would changing the slave cylinder do anything? I was thinking of getting the nismo one anyways… it’s slightly bigger in diameter (1.5mm) than the OE one and it would make my pedal feel a bit softer… now it’s way too stiff…
But I’m not sure if that would do anything else other than that.