BMW X5 Stolen

I think 2G just pointed out exactly why this thread and all assertions within it relating to statistics are irrelevant

they sell a vastly different mix of car models and brands in europe vs n.a vs asia… and since england requires rhd conversions as one of the preliminary alterations there is already a huge extra fee attached to any imported car, for a small surcharge they can slip in extra features and better suspension bits

explain with the 350z has different shocks and springs there than here?

• is it because our roads are better/worse?
  • is it because they demand a firmer and more involving ride than the fat boulevard cruisers they make here?
  • would they rather pay less and have an inferior car or pay more for a better version?
  • does that make them harder to steal?

they pay an average of 40% more for the same car as the base american price which levels the playing field for british manufactured cars built with high labour costs… driving position and taxation isn’t the only difference… some cars might be equiped with better immobilizers/anti-theft but surely not all…

What do shocks and springs have to do with car theft scams, they are compleatly unrelated and irrelevant.

The car manufacturer does not put cheaper springs on so people crash, then the insurance company buys a second car.

Perhaps market research has shown that the age range for the 350z in North America is higher and that the people here prefer a softer ride to a harsher ride.

Its only inferior in your eyes since you are the one that prefers a stiffer suspension, in someone elses view it is inferior with the stiffer suspension because the ride quality suffers.

I disagree, The 350Z is marketed as a sports car. therefor shouldn’t it have a stiffer ride regardless of the country it is sold in? I’m not saying it makes it easier to steal, you just cant call stiffer suspension on a sports car inferior.

Nice on topic discussion here.

Masterfully elucidated.

2G-Money, what type of security modifications are installed at the dealer in England?

As far as I know, most addon packages are dealer installed, not manufacture installed. I bet that most cars are manufactured based on major options, for example an engine is more then likely upgraded at the factory as opposed to the dealer. However, i’m sure the dealer installs immobilizers and other anti-theft devices on-site.

What i’m saying here is that a duck is a duck is a duck.

What your saying is that a duck isn’t always a duck that’s supposed to be a duck. Which is just quack.

My $0.02

Jeremy Clarkson’s GT40 was such a total piece of crap mostly due to the dealer installed anti-theft and not any ACTUAL ford problem.

Not only the # of camera’s but also the facial geometry recognition software they more/less pioneered/developed. The camera see you, measures you, runs you against the database, and bam warrents/records etc pop up.

I have a theory and brought up stats I believe points to it, thats all. I know the UK took on a serious problem with autotheft when car buyers and insurers moaned about it - it was epidemic.

As early as 1992, I saw factory security keypads in cars, immobilizers, chipped keys etc. This was lightyears ahead of anything in the US at the time. And it clearly worked.

My rationale is if there are roughly 1.5 million cars lifted every year and they say 30% are exported (meaning good shit, not some 90 Civic) then that is 450,000 pretty new cars that have to be bought with insurance on someone elses dime.
Yours and mine.

I never claimed this was fact but we can keep debating my non-existent decals or whatever irrelevant babble :slight_smile: instead of figuring out why car theft isn’t being addressed here.

Oh and… yes I am kinda pissed at the BMW video and this whole BS. Owners and insurers should be raping BMW right now. I have a 740 with that same key and too think that those geniuses can’t prevent a factory system on a car like that from being so easily dupped is pretty sad…

Take it…its a gas guzzler anyway.

Man, I didn’t even want to touch this one …

But hey. As for trying to gang-rape Dave, and throw a one-two combo of weak statistics that slightly back up your opinion and split hairs …

Let’s step back, and look at what we know to be facts.

And as far as I know, time doesn’t change facts. If we didn’t learn anything from the lessons of the 70s, more shame on us, 40 years later, more on our knees in front of the corporate automotive market.

FACT 1 - Car manufacturers, dealers, support networks, etc. could do much more to prevent car theft. The hardest car I’ve ever found to get into was a mid 90s GMC Jimmy. None of the usual Slim Jim or add ons worked.

The industry is rife with “could haves” from the factory. The 70s is too far back for a history lesson? Look at Ford now then. Ask any number of Sheriffs burned to death or near enough due to faulty gas tank placements. Cause that was the problem with Pintos. And I believe the example Dave was trying to bring up. The gas tank was integral with the rear bumper supports. In even a mild rear end collision, the gas tank would rupture, and send all the fuel spilling into the car, usually already on fire, or shortly going to catch. Oh yeah, and the Pinto also compacted like a tin can, rendering the doors unopenable.

And this is not conspiracy theory “I know a guy that knows a guy”. It gets better. Someone leaked an internal memo from Ford. They knew about the problem. Inside the memo is an actual graph, trying to forecast the cost of a total recall vs possible compensation payouts. They’d lose less money paying off burn victims and their families, so guess which route they took.

Could never happen today right? Wrong. Guess what the problem with the cruisers is? Now, for all of you hopping up and down to defend these “ethical” car manufacturers, stop. Stop and think about knowing full well that a product you are selling will trap and burn its occupants to death. Think about being able to calculate the economics of settlement vs a recall without compassion.

FACT 2 - Car manufacturers, in todays day and age, could make much much more maintenance-free vehicles. In fact, they could likely make cars last nearly forever. But they won’t. Why? They make way more money fixing their cars than they do selling them.

Put statistics which can be used to prove anything you want them to aside for a second, fire up the grey matter, and think. It’s not that hard. There’s no link to it, no google “independent thought” button. It’s called applying what is conceivable, to what has happened before. Is it really so hard to imagine that a car company would be willing to sell cars that are easy to steal?

Chrysler minivans can be started with a flat head screwdriver.

The suggestion is not that BMW or anyone else takes a car for the North American market, and makes it easier to steal. That was never mentioned, iterated or hinted at.

Put down your “I’ve read something somewhere” stick.

Dave is a relatively intelligent person. Let’s dissect how he came to his conclusion in simple, kindergarten terms so you can all catch up.

Cars were the same - easy to steal, all over the world.

People in the UK cried about it. Manufacturers, dealers, whoever, they’re all the same company one way or another, did something about it - factory or dealer installed anti-theft systems, a much more involved police and international police effort, etc.

Whether it was for that reason, planetary alignment, Tony Blair’s shoe size, car theft in the UK dropped almost 20%.

In North America, manufacturers, dealers, etc don’t offer these options free of charge, and most people don’t bother. The rate of theft in North America has remained essentially constant.

It is not by any sense a stretch to see that the UK, which did something about it, saw results.

And by the same token, NA did nothing, and the rates have stayed the same.

Could car manufacturers make cars harder to steal? Your damn right they could. The reason they don’t is not to make it easier to steal, but rather it becomes a no loss situation. They save money on having to develop and implement new technology, and as well, they’d lose the money they get from selling replacements.

Wait until you have a car stolen, and see how long it takes anyone to do anything about it. What happens instead? Your insurance company cuts you a check before the car has been recovered.

As for new exotics being stolen, check for it on eBay.ru

Anyone know anyone that’s been to Russia recently? I’ve seen lots and lots of pictures of high-end cars still wearing the dealership name plates. Most of them are from American and Toronto-based dealerships.

Last I checked Budds doesn’t have a satellite dealership in Moscow.

Ford did not install the gas tank pooly so that police offcers would die in fires. And then they would have to buy new police cars.

So according to your friend a 1990 GMC Jimmy will be blaitantly modified to be even harder to steal than it is here.

And by the way, the 1989 Ford Thunderbird Supercoupe had a keypad installed from the factory.

That is before 1992.

Perhaps you werent looking hard enough.

OMFG would you stop :slight_smile: No one including me said the same cars were manufactured differently intentially. I am saying NOT MUCH HAS BEEN DONE to combat theft at all with NA cars…no change for over a decade hmmm.

You keep rambling about something that was never stated, are you running out of material or not reading or whatever man. Stop.

MR200 pointed out a couple good examples of cover up but I was referring to GM sedans and Chevy trucks in rear and side impacts blowing up. They put a price on everyones head…yeah oh-no heaven forbid, they would never have lax security to potentially sell 100,000s more cars that the insurance buying consumer is paying for again anyway, that’s impossible, isn’t it?

Oh and for the record your keypad reference is way off, they had that cheezy door keypad on Lincoln towncars as early as 1980 to help if you lost your keys. I’m talking about immobilizers integrated into programmable keypads in the console of vehicles in the UK, factory installed…

Ford security wasn’t advanced at all we used to have a Taurus SHO with that crap and someone opened the door with a flathead = great security.

It was the ambiguity of this statement, I think, that caused this whole series of retarded arguments.

It seems that some people thought you meant cars meant for the NA market regardless of where they are built… rather than American manufacturers’ domestic products.

Gee Mike, Ya think? Ya, I’ll have to simplify it next time. Never dreamed it would be intepreted that way despite later saying it WASN’T meant that way oh, 20 odd times.

Anyhoo, I have been out e-thugged. I’m over it :slight_smile:

http://telekinesis.org/images/ethug.jpg