brake pad recommendations?

I want to get some brake pads for better braking also they are due for a change. what do you guys use/recommend? hawks or ebcs? i dont know.

i heard hawk is pretty good but never heard anything about ebc yet

If you’re looking for a good street pad then I can highly recommend Hawk HPS pads.

(just to say Hawk is not good enough as they make 4 or 5 different compounds for different purposes).

i would not recomend hawk, i put hawk on my altima and they have squeeled since day one

Which hawk pad specifically? Hawk HPS are silent.

Hawk HP+ on the other hand are noisey for a semi-street pad.

Ya i have hawk hps’s and they r quiet as can bee. Work real nicely with the stainless line too. Would deffinatly reccomend them.

Personally, for street/track use I would go HAWK HPS,or Axxis/PBR Ultimate. For Track personally I would go HAWK Blue, Endless CC-X, Project Mu B-spec…

Its a good idea to do a brake fluid flush at the same time. Here is a nice list to help you choose the right fluid for your needs. It might be and idea for the mods to Pin this information for later use aswell. My personal website isn’t up anymore so the information can be rather annoying to find.

DRY:401F – WET:284F — DOT3 MINIMUM (GLYCOL BASE)
DRY:446F – WET:311F — DOT4 MINIMUM (GLYCOL BASE)
DRY:500F – WET:356F — DOT5 MINIMUM (SILICONE BASE)
DRY:500F – WET:356F — DOT5.1 MINIMUM (GLYCOL BASE)
DRY:527F – WET:302F — AP RACING 551 ($12.95/0.5L OR 16.9 OZ)
DRY:527F – WET:347F — VALVOLINE SYNPOWER DOT3 & DOT4
DRY:536F – WET:392F — ATE SUPERBLUE/TYP200 ($9.95/1L)
DRY:550F – WET:284F — FORD HEAVY DUTY DOT 3 ($4/12 OZ)
DRY:570F – WET:284F — WILWOOD 570 ($5.65/12 OZ)
DRY:570F – WET:284F — PERFORMANCE Friction Z rated ($6.27/16 OZ)
DRY:590F – WET:410F — AP RACING 600 ($16.95/0.5L OR 16.9 OZ)
DRY:590F – WET:518F — CASTROL SRF ($69.00/1L 0R 33.8 OZ)
DRY:593F – WET:420F — MOTUL RBF600 ($12.95/0.5L OR 16.9 OZ)
DRY:601F – WET:399F — BREMBO LCF 600 PLUS ($26.75/0.5L OR 16.9 OZ)
DRY:610F – WET:421F — NEO SYNTHETICS SUPER DOT 610 ($11.95/12 OZ)
DRY:610F – WET:421F — PROSPEED GS610 ($39.95/16 OZ)
DRY:626F – WET:417F — WILWOOD EXP 600 ($16.95/0.5L 16.9 OZ)

ARRANGED BY WET BOILING POINT:

DRY:401F – WET:284F — DOT3 MINIMUM
DRY:570F – WET:284F — WILWOOD 570
DRY:570F – WET:284F — PERFORMANCE Friction Z rated
DRY:550F – WET:284F — FORD HEAVY DUTY DOT 3
DRY:527F – WET:302F — AP RACING 551
DRY:446F – WET:311F — DOT4 MINIMUM
DRY:527F – WET:347F — VALVOLINE SYNPOWER DOT3 & DOT4
DRY:500F – WET:356F — DOT5.1 MINIMUM (GLYCOL BASE)
DRY:500F – WET:356F — DOT5 MINIMUM (SILICONE BASE)
DRY:536F – WET:392F — ATE SUPERBLUE/TYP200
DRY:601F – WET:399F — BREMBO LCF 600 PLUS
DRY:590F – WET:410F — AP RACING 600
DRY:626F – WET:417F — WILWOOD EXP 600
DRY:593F – WET:420F — MOTUL RBF600
DRY:610F – WET:421F — NEO SYNTHETICS SUPER DOT 610
DRY:610F – WET:421F — PROSPEED GS610
DRY:590F – WET:518F — CASTROL SRF

Water absorption:
DOT 3: This brake fluid has a glycol base with additives. It is clear to amber in color. It is hygroscopic (meaning it absorbs moisture) and has a minimum dry boiling point of 401°F (205°C) minimum and a minimum wet boiling point of 284°F (140°C). It will absorb 1 to 2 percent of water per year depending on climate and operating conditions.

It is not clear how much water is absorbed by all the different fluids. There are many claims about one fluid absorbing less than another, but no facts, so it is hard to believe unless one has tested the fluids. I think the wet boiling point is tested at 3.5% moisture content.

Some other points to consider:

The bottle (of brake fluid) is still air tight / water tight, and has only allowed in moisture during the few minutes it was opened. Whereas the brake fluid system in a car is NOT air tight / water tight (such as around the cap on the fluid reservoir).

For those who worry about the cost, I would suggest you keep things in perspective. Yes, one brake fluid may cost 2-3 times as much as another - but the difference might be only $10-15 for a single flush which lasts for an entire season, and that might give you an extra 50-60 degrees of boiling protection. That’s not much money compared to the possibility of screwing up a track weekend that usually costs you anywhere from $300 to $1500, when you consider registration costs, lodging, meals, tires, brake pads, gas, etc. Hey, if you’re confident that you’ll never boil your brake fluid, then feel free to use the cheapest brake fluid you can find. Those of us who have boiled it before, understand that saving a few bucks on brake fluid could come back to haunt you. Your money, your car, your decision, your risk.

Good information there.

BTW, are there any places locally in Edmonton where we can get the following?

Thanks.

You should be able to get the motul at Rally subaru or Autorolla on whyte. I know they both carry Motul. Its been a while since I have bought any brake fluid. I still have something like 5 L of it kicking around in my garage.

they are the hps, and they are loud, i don’t know why they sqeel then

A couple possibilities:

• you didn’t reinstall the brake shims with your new pads (or you didn’t reinstall them properly)
  • you may have required NEW shims instead of reusing the old shims if they weren’t in good shape. (New shim kits are available from Nissan).
  • you didn’t use the appropriate grease (either supplied by Nissan in new shim kits, or that stuff called “brake quiet” I think its called?) on the shims when you installed your new pads.

That’s all I can think of.

I’ve been running Hawk HPS pads on my 300ZXTT for over 3 years now, in all kinds of street and race conditions (not winter obviously though), and they’ve never made a sound on me. And the HPS are well known as a low noise, low dust pad.

Let me know what you need. I am running metalmaster from PBR and have never had any complaints about them except for noise when they get HOT. They are a great street pad, and a good auto-x pad and for about 1/3 the price of hawk HPS, and in my opinion better.

i just installed what was in the kit at the time, but it was like a year ago so i don’t remember what all i installed

I love agressive pads … especially when they squeak a bit when hard braking for a yellow /red light … I remember this one guy walking in the crosswalk was like " Save a life there buddy and get those brakes changed at the Midas across the street" and began to shake his head and say “unbelieveable!!”
hahahaha that made my day …

I’m running EBC Redstuff pads. They work great on the street and stand up well to track days.

Mine are dead quiet 99% of the time, but when they get hot they squeal a bit. However, I read one post by a guy who complained bitterly about Redstuff pads making so much noise his ears bled.

• 2 on the brake fluid advice. There’s nothing like solid brakes when you need 'em!

Cheers,
Dan