brake pads: EBC greenstuff or hawk HP

looking for new brake pads, something performance oriented that is good for the track but still daily driveable. i was thinking hawk HP+ just because i love hitting backroads/downhills…esp Rt.72 into carlisle where last year i experienced HORRIBLE brake fade and ultimately lost them almost alltogether. i need something that can handle that type of driving AS WELL as daily use.

need to know soon, im asking for them for christmas lol

I would go Hawk HP or Porterfield RS4s…i am running Hawk HP’s right now and I like them

you running the drums or disks in the rear?

my foci has terrible fade with 4 peeps in the car. down hills.

running some generic pads from the zone.

c’mon man, this isn’t a question :slight_smile:

hawk HPs

greenstuff :tdownnnnn:

alrighty lol, im running stock drums in the rear, cant shell out $1000 just to upgrade 1" in front rotors and new knuckels/lines/brackets for a STOCK SVT system.

i figured run regular shoes in the drums and HP+ in the fronts, so that i get hard braking up front when they heat up, and reasonable braking in daily traffic…however i fear doing that will cause some funky FWD drifto issues cause the front will brake way better than the rear

Its cool to run 15s in the snow. :wink: stock 15" wont clear the SVT front calipers i tried.

you cant got wrong with the hawk hp+s… pricy as they are.

Why not the sparking pads the turbo sho has. those are sweet.

i’m sure somebody makes performance shoes for the rear in your car. if so I would reccomend them so you don’t smoke those pads.

I have hawk HP+ pads in my SHO, they arn’t bad. good cold braking but they dust a good bit but it doesn’t bother me because I have black wheels. they arn’t enough for my car and I do fade them quite a bit (usually when brake boosting durring a race) but all in all they are a good pad. keep in mind that I have a automatic so I don’t get engine braking like a manual does (have to use brakes more) and my car is a HELL of a lot heavier then yours :slight_smile:

I would reccomend the hawk HP+ it has good street maners, and if my SHO were not boosted or was a MTX I would not have probelms with them on the street ever.

edit: when I was at tunning of the bulls a couple of years ago one of the members was racing his SVT focus and it made for a awsome cat and mouse game because we were extremely close in verhicle performance on the roadcourse untill I would overheat my brakes. he was running 30min sessions and never had a problem. save up over winter it would be well worth it.

speaking of big brakes these may be the ones I end up with in the spring.

http://www.shonutperformance.com/PRII_17x7_Silver_front_green.jpg (front)

http://www.shonutperformance.com/PRII_17x7_Silver_rear_green.jpg (rear)

the pic show the 4 pot and i’m going to go with the 6 pot so the pads wear better (same clamping force) 13X1.1 front and 11.6 rear. new rims and some sticky tires. should be a blast on a road course.

if you want i’ll bring over my old calapers and see if they will bolt up to your focus. my stock 11.6 brakes would kick ass on your car.

Hawk HPS will work fine thats what I have on Z28.

Sounds like you are looking for a band aid. Changing your pads wont increase the heat capacity of the braking system. You need bigger rotors for that. Performance pads will only give you a little more buffer before your brakes fail.

If you are having almost total brake failure with your stock pads, street based pads arent going to prevent this.

You could go for race pads but they need to be HOT for them to work properly. Meaning don’t expect to stop at the first few traffic lights in the morning cause they wont be able to.

To answer your question… I have heard better things about hawks than EBC.

Also check out carbotech bobcats.

If you want to go for a semi race pad carbotech panthers are good but whey will suck in the cold and squeak alot.

if your running heavy rums get rid of tehm that makes a HUGE difference in braking

that would be kickass to see if that would work, i want a brake upgrade like woa, but cant afford the shit

EDIT:

<-----focusinprogress

I have had good experiences with Hawk HP pads. They are a good street pad with a little more left in them for the occasional beating.

Hands down Carbotech.

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20394&highlight=carbotech

No, you will stop, you will also eat about 1/8" off of your rotor too.

I’d definitely go for the hawks over ebc green. I ran HPS pads for the last year and they’ve been great. A little bit more grabby than stock but still very street oriented. They also have 30,000 miles on them and there is a ton of material left. HP+ are a great compromise pad, I’d probably get them next time. Also heard great things from many focus track guys about Carbotech.

Fresh fluid would be a good upgrade…ATE, Motul or even Motorcraft HD.

You could also fab up some ducting. The drums are perfectly adequate stock.

I ran HPS pads before and never noticed a difference in braking over OEM. I did notice they wore out faster it seemed and made a lot more of a mess on my rims. It sounds like you need to upgrade your braking system not your pads.

i run the hawks right now. good pad, but yes a rotor with more surface area will disperse heat better. good fluid and pads def make a big difference though. superblue fluid and hawk pads will make a dif

hawks are very dusty though, i hated cleaning my bbs’s becuase of them. i think I’m gonna try greenstuffs next cause i heard they were a decent pad and a lot better on dust. but if i had wheels that weren’t such a bitch to clean, id rock the hps

also yes if you’re boosted you probably need better brakes, see what’s out there for your car.

I have the Porterfield R4S pads on my MR2 and my Lotus, and they perform very well.

the problem is the brake upgrades for my car cost like $2g’s…for a BAER or Brembo kit…and $1000 for just the SVT setup…which i could get nice brembo rotors for anyway and good pads and stainless lines…but by then im almost to the cost of the brembo kit that has all that stuff included anyways…i might try getting stainless lines, synthetic fluid, and carbotech pads. i really dont know, we will have to see what money i have in february