Brand new Toyo Proxes RA1 (335-30-18)

I’m curious as to how you came to this conclusion, I mean, I know it’s huge tire and all, but how do you know if you haven’t tried?

I took the wheels off today to bring them to johns shop. While the wheels were off, I stuck the tire in the wheel well all the way to the inside of my wheel well as far as it could possibly go, which was obviously more of a offset then my actual wheels. When I did this, with the tire sitting against my wheel well, it still stuck out 2" from the fender. Look good from behind, and thats it. Looked retarted from the side and from the front. Not to mention with it sticking out that far, my door panel is right there. I dont need a custom rock chip paint job everytime I drive my car.

and on a side note, in the past (if you remember) I had goodyear eagle f1 gs d3’s that were 315’s on the car. Those were too big and looked silly as well. here is a old pic…

so add another 1" to the outside of those, and thats where im at.

remember, its not all about how wide, its the height of the tire too. find one that measures close to 28" and youre better off than a 335-35-18

heres what you should run man

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
305/40-18 4.8in 13.8in 27.6in 86.7in 731 0.0%
335/35-18 4.6in 13.6in 27.2in 85.6in 741 -1.4%

taller is better

Yepp, put the tallest tire you can on there for sure

Soooooo you went out and bought tires you KNEW were significantly wider than tires you KNEW were too wide, and looked goofy (in your own opinion, which, on your own car, is really all that matters)? And now you’re trying to flip them for a negative profit? Might I ask why?

The tires were cheap and they were only 2 days away for ground shipping. I had a 50/50 chance that they would work and I flipped the coin. I wanted to have new tires for this weekend so I took the chance. I technically havent paid for them yet. I did the bill me later shit on ebay so im not worried about it. Im going to buy different tires, sell these and pay them off. At the end of the day, I will only be losing $25 which IMO, was worth the try.

different tire companys run in different sizes. For example…

a 315 nitto drag radial is almost the same width as a goodyear gs d3 in a 275. I took the chance of thinking maybe this brand ran narrower for the size…and they didnt.

I totally agree and honestly I have exhausted my tire options. I originally wanted to go with a 28" tire, but I couldnt find any for a 18" wheel without breaking the bank. Incase you havent noticed, im a cheap bastard.

I think my 27" mt’s right now sit amazing. They hook great but they suck in the rain and wear quick. I cant justify buying new ones for $325 each, just to wear them out in 3000 miles (if im lucky)

I dont really have to many tire options. I am stuck in the 295-315 range.

What tires do you have on there now? I think you are blowing it wayyy out of proportion here…

Lap time means you’ll be coming around at that point again on track (start/finish) meaning you have to take turns to get there, hence the stiffer sidewall. These are the official tires of many racing series like Spec Miata, SCCA World Challange (dunno if they still are), and quite a few others. I don’t think they’re the official tire of any drag racing series though.
I’m busting your balls, you should know that by now, but you still shouldn’t list something as something it is not.

JD, what are you showing me? I dont get it.

Nitto drag radials run narrow for their size. Right now I have 305-35-18 MT drag radials. I had to BFH the shit out of my car and completely cut off my bump stops flush with the inner panel (looks like bump stops never existed) just to get my car as is with the current wheels and tires and I still only have 1/2" clearance on both sides.

I think your forgetting that when I did this rear end swap, I found out that this 12 bolt was about 3/4" narrower on each side then my 10 bolt.

you are welcome to meet up with me later and check this shit out…

You can always check the tire manufacturers website for actual inch dimensions of the tire. However I don’t even see RA1’s listed in that size… and according to the site their street drag radials are the TQ’s.

they stopped making the ra1’s not too long ago. The TQ’s are the replacement

They still make the RA-1s and the TQ’s are not their replacement lol.
RA-1’s are now offered in limited sizes mainly due to the tires being the spec tire for some racing series.

It says nothing on Toyo’s site that they’re made for drag racing. Sure, some people do fine w/ them as a street radial at the drag strip, but some people also do fine w/ all-seasons, so are they drag radials too? I know jdaniels posted that the carcass is the same as the Nitto drag radials, but that doesn’t make the Toyo a drag radial. Several companies have different classes of tires that use the same carcass.

ok then dr. tire. I should have stated that LSx guys use these tires are a street radial/ occasional drag strip radial with great results very similar to that of a street dot drag radial.

Much better. Actually, pm me your number I may have a use for these, srsly.