Bringing a car into Ontario & other questions.

Slightly long read/life story ahead.

So here’s the deal, I’m 22 years old and I just dropped out of university after 1 semester. I couldn’t take it or bring myself to care. If it’s not about cars, I just can’t concentrate on it.

So a buddy of mine told me about this place in Barrie called Georgian College that offers an automotive managment bachelor’s degree. It’s a business degree , but the course are built around the automotive world. I think I want to go, but here’s the problem: I live in Montreal.

So first question, could I spend 4 years in Ontario with Quebec plates and a Quebec license? If not, how hard would it be to bring my S13 to be plated in Ontario? I disabled the ABS system so I’d have to take it out completely and it has 240k so I dunno how well it would do on the e-test…

Second, how much would insurance screw me? I pay like 40$ a month here. lol

Third, I’ve been looking for a small apartment in the Barrie area, including orillia and the surroundings and a lot of them are like 900-1000$. WTF? I pay less then that in downtown Montreal!! lol what I had in mind was a tiny little bachelor with my own garage. Anyone know of anything like this? What areas should I look that are within 30 minute drive of Barrie but would have dirt cheap housing???

Finally, (should have been first, but whatever) has anyone ever studied there? How is it?

Thanks.

Leave your car plated as a Quebec vehicle. Just use your parents address. They’re going to make you put a stupid USELESS front plate on your car too.

Insurance will rape you too.

I WISH I had family in Quebec I would have done this A LONG time ago.

sorry only thing i can tell you is… buddy… you wont be paying 40 bucks in ontario… more like 190~200 bucks if you have a clean licence.

I have a buddy on Montreal, how can I do the Quebec plates and insurance while being here. I want $40 a month instead of around $300 for an S14 and that is only liability.

If at all possible leave your address at your parents in Quebec trust me.

My buddy does that and saves BIG on insurance AND NEVER I mean never gets harassed by Ontario police in a modified car… hell he was pulled over once for stupid shit and the cop saw the Quebec plates and pretty much went “Oh a Quebec car” and sent him off. Not sure the full details but my friend does have to go back to Quebec 1-2x a year to renew stuff then hes all good for the year.

Well worth it if you plan to travel back to Quebec once in awhile and you have a Quebec address you can use.

I would drive once a month for those rates. He’ll, even if I had to drive twice a month it would still probably be cheaper and that is spending 60-70 on a tank of 94 for an RB25.

I hate Ontario insurance. “So what rate reductions would I be looking at once I get my G”
“None”
-RBC Insurance

Love it.

pm PureuroM3 on here, hes in the automotvie marketing program in his 2nd or 3rd year I think. He should know something about places to rent out and what not. I go there as well, in my first year of automotive engineering but i live in residence so i havtn looked into private renting at all. If you have any questions about the school though send me a pm.

I’m in my second semester there. Have no complaints so far. If I’m not feeling my business program after this semester I will be going into automotive marketing.

Are you in the automotive business program? How much automotive is built into it?

QC has much much cheaper insurance in large part due to the government taking on the bodily injury exposure… above a certain point in QC the insurance comapny isnt on the hook for it, the govt takes it. I may be slightly off on this but its something like that.

the B/I costs are the reason why Ontario insurers are raising their rates in Ontario… In fact, many insurers are raising rates by 18%+ and some are even dropping entire books of business in specific markets with higher rates of B/I fraud… ie. brampton :slight_smile:

if you are just a student and still a citizen of QC then it would be perfectly legit for you to keep your insurance in QC. Just tell your insurance company that you are going to school for 6 months out of the year in Barrie.

^ Truth, it’s funny too Quebec’s already cheap insurance went down another 10% last quarter according to Kinetix… Ontario is going up up and up.

http://www.live-pr.com/en/quebec-car-insurance-rates-decrease-an-r1048387140.htm

Toronto has the highest overall insurance rate in ALL of Canada, BC and Ontario is supposedly the highest rates. Barrie would be alot lower than Toronto. Barrie compared to anywhere in Quebec your looking at a massive increase in rates.

Everyone I know from the program run Quebec plates on the vehicles and they are here all the time.

lol if you care to know im 18 clean record and my s13 costs $596 a month for insurance in the GTA. good luck with insurance :slight_smile:

Pureeuro, where do you live up there?

Rent with relatives. A room in a house should throw you about $550 a month. Off campus residence where Trev is staying is decent to.

I was looking into renting a house then renting out the extra rooms myself…I need a garage. lol

You can but be prepared to fork out extra.

What do you mean?

Means it will be more than $550/month for room and garage.

Usually when people rent to students, it almost never has a garage. Maybe some parking on a driveway. Having a garage for a student is pretty luxurious.

Well there was a nice 3 bedroom house with a 2 car garage for rent for 1350$.

Split 3 ways seems good.

Anyways, that’ll come in time. Right now I need to figure out where I’m gamma getvthe money to pay for school.