Build a track car for cheap?

Because FWD track cars suck.

fox bodys are the old 5.0’s right?
hmmm im torn between that and the old school miata’s
id love to have a drop top but the sound of the 5.0 would be lovely too.
ill mention everything here to my friend, since were going in on this together.

somewhere up…few posts up…fuzzyfish mentioned FWD…wouldnt RWD/AWD be better. if not, i guess i could always go civic hatch and be UBER cheap!

fairgentleman Z, i went to ECC last sunday

e30.

you can find a decent one for ~1k, and they can take all kinds of abuse

ouch. :cry:

Toyota starlet or any old corolla

e30?

Perhaps you should better define what you are looking for. When you say track car you give the impression you are looking for a road racing car, but saying you were at ECCN last Sunday makes it sound like you’re looking for an autocross car.

The suggestions will differ based on which your intrested in.

Yeah, a few more details might help.

A dedicated autocross car is a whole lot different that a dedicated track car.

For autocross, I’d keep running your S2K because it’s competitive and from what I’ve seen and heard they are a blast to autocross. You are more likely to wreck it driving to the event than you are at the event (despite last weekends mishap).

“Cheap” and “track days” don’t really go together. Just a few expenses that add up quick:

1. Tires
  2. Travel
  3. Brakes
  4. The actual event fee
  5. Wear and tear (20 to 40 minutes on a track is much harder on a car than 50 seconds autocrossing).

With autocross on the other hand:

1. R-comps or even decent street tires will get you through a season, maybe 2.
  2. Local events
  3. Brakes last a season no problem
  4. $20 SCCA members, $25 non, plus a few bucks for food.
  5. You probably put more wear and tear on the car in a week of commuting than a Sunday of autocrossing.

EDIT: One more thing to consider. I’ve heard that at some track days instructors will not ride in open top cars, even when they have roll bars.

yea sorry guys. i mean autocross.
I have a boosted GSR and the 1/4mile is fun but…autocross was awesome!
Id like to keep the S2000 as a “only drive it on nice days” and “have it when im older” kinda car.
Since my friend and I will be going in on it more $ can be spent…but would still like to keep it under 4k total, for now.

ah e30 = bmw

how are the 240’s with the sr20 motors?

Oh. AutoX? Why would you want to get rid of the S2k, it’s the perfect AutoX car, you’re not gonna fuck it up and a set of sways and some tires and alignment make it the perfect, competitive A Stock car. Getting rid of the S2k because of AutoX makes zero sense.

i totaly agree, the stock rear roll center is amazingly high (as with alot of solid axle setups) but that can easily be changed if you toss the triangulated 4 link setup and start over

then just add some rear camber by tweeking the housing (3* is a good # iirc) and your doing pretty good

i don’t think he wants to get rid of it. he just wants to have something that if he or his friend fucks up, it’s not his s2k. i can appreciate that. after seeing what happened to that STi and that mini cooper S, i see where he is coming from.

I just wont AutoX some places, like Batavia, it’s a stupid, unsafe place for street cars. I’m not a HUGE fan of ECC-N either, to many curbs, and the crossover is usually some place I have to go 8/10’s due to curbing, not the best places for AutoX if you ask me.

i’ve only spectated at autocrosses, but where else are you going to go locally? all the ones i’ve been to have been at those two places. i know i would be fucking real pissed off if i put the ass end of my car into a curb from the crossover. i realize an S2K is a great car for this, but it’s also a very nice car you wouldn’t want to fuck up.

Seneca Army Depot
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/66/196697020_b180f8038b.jpg
no curbs.

even the RIT lot has no curbs (but watch out for the bus stop)

Xerox = curb only on one side out of four (I think)

MCC = curb on one or two sides

i guess the e30 is your cheap bet, if you get the sr20 youll be in SM and itd be a lot of $$$ to get that thing competitive in street mod when youre dealing with supercharged civic hatches and modded sti’s. id just stay stock if i were you. ive only done 2 events including ECC, my first one was last fall at RIT in my 1.8T in FSP and i had too much boost that i just spun the tires and hit cones. at ECC this time i drove an HS beetle and i had a blast, just goes to show that even though i suck its not all about power in stock class.

ye, i dont wanna get rid of the S…i just ont want to ruin it. like the cars at ECCN past sunday. i plan on going to SAD, anyone know the info on that BTW.

But yea, right now were just looking to have fun with autox. dont really care if were placing, just wanna zip around, maybe drift, etc.

If we think were really gonna do this, then start dumping cash into it.

So with the sr20 id bump up to a different class huh? hmmm i think i wanna stay AStock.

Maybe lean more towards a miata?

AND YES THE S2K WAS AWESOME IMO!

yo duder,

autoX the S2k, you will not find anything to even compare to it. I know ur worried about it after seeing zong, however ECCC and NCCCN are THE ONLY2 lots ive raced with high curb danger.

granted, ive only been running for 4 years. but ive been all over the east coast and have come to accept ECC and NCCC as death traps. i didnt even take my 5th run and try to get 3rd because of that fact. its not worth trying to go all out there.

just run the s2k and enjoy the driving pleasure which no other honda can give you:D

and hell im running MY DADs honda, not even my own, at these dangerous tracks

1st Gen. MR2 SC.

i don’t think he wants to get rid of it. he just wants to have something that if he or his friend fucks up, it’s not his s2k. i can appreciate that. after seeing what happened to that STi and that mini cooper S, i see where he is coming from

Its too bad that had to happen with so many new people out. We have not had something like the sti incident happen in years. The closest thing to that was a type r at batavia hitting the foam. Batavia is admitedly one of the places you need to be extra aware at. As for the mini, that was driver error. He missed an upshift to 3rd and hit 1st. Again, you do more shifting on the highway screwing around then at an autocross. most cars shift to 2nd and stay there.

As for eccn not being safe… its a bit narrow, but it is safe. Again, its been years and years since something happened there. The last incident report that had to filled out there was 3 years ago because a spectator twisted an ankle.

RIT has steep berms and telephone poles, seneca has runway lights, xerox has gas supply pipes in the middle… THE HIGHWAY HAS GUARDRAILS AND OTHER CARS, DEBRIS AND POTHOLE!!! I guarantee you more autocrossers have had accidents on the road then while autocrossing by a multiple of 1000.

The only motorsport that is safer is a show and shine.