Cable and Internet options

So I’ve been with Adelphia for over a year now getting HD/DVR cable tv and ‘high speed’ internet and was paying ~$85…just checked my latest bill and there trying to get me for ~$160 a month!!! F that…

What are the other options around here for cable and internet??? I’ve become addicted to HD so I definitely want that, the DVR thing is pretty nice, and fast internet is mandatory…

Seems like Adelphia and Direct TV are the only things I’ve found for tv service…haven’t searched much for internet providers.

So…who’s good, bad, they all the same???

For Internet I think It’s Verizon DSL or Adelphia…

I just bought the new Sony SXRD HD TV.

I had directv before, but they didn’t carry local HD channels.

So i switched to adelphia cable (computer) and digital cable (tv). No complaints so far.

Directv had always been great to, but with the move to HD, i needed to get the option of more HD channels.

Directv has hardly any HD channels.

Does anyone know any of the rates??? I’m too lazy to go diggin right now…

u can get the local HD stations with a basic indoor antenna…I get around 5-6 HD stations in with a $20 radio shack antenna…

Assuming you have an ATSC tuner…

There’s a new sattelite option, I just started seeing commercials for. Apparently it is sattelite upload and download (i.e. no dialup upload) Only requirement is clear view of Southern sky. Forgot the name of the company, I wanted to do some research on them. :shrug:

I have Verizon DSL… couldn’t really be happier.

(Running it wirelessly too BTW) :tup:

beckignton u got an SXRD and didnt contact me? for shame i probably could have saved u a big chunk

sounds like you may be talking about direct tv’s satellite internet. if not, they compare with their commercials. not worth it anyway’s cus it’s mad expensive

yep the tuners built into the tv…

i get all locals plus toronto channels in HD with my DB4 with dtv

fuck adelphia

Yeah internet over satellites is expensive. The FCC regulates it more strictly then other data transfer services (dial-up, dsl, and cable modems).

Dish Network offers more HD channels then anyone. If your that into it, then DisH Network is the way to go.

HD over satellite companies is better then Adelphia too. The HD Adelphia/Time Warner receivers give you the choice of 1080i in the settings but are closer to 480i. Only the Direct and Dish HD receivers give you true 1080i.

And as far as local HD channels go, off air antenna is the ONLY way to go. Adelphia does a “favor” for its customers. It has a big antenna that it brings the local HD channels into and then pipes them all across WNY through thousands of miles of cable. That does wonders for picture quality.

Boils down to this:

Cable modem>DSL>internet over satellite>dial-up

HD Satellite>ALL

Off Air (UHF antenna) HD>ALL

[QUOTE=Carbonfiberhooded][/QUOTE]

Yea pretty much what he said.

An off air ant. is going to give you the best HD picture you can get. Simply because it is hardly compressed.

As far as local in HD, DTV will have them thru the dish in this area before 07. There is a new 5 LNB dish for that. All DTV recievers have a built in off air tunner for HD, I assume dish does as well but im not sure.

As far as internet, in this area cable is your best bet. Dsl isn’t all that bad, it is cheaper but also a bit slower. In this area it does seem that most DSL hubs are full and you cant get it anyway.

Direct way is the satalite internet provider. People ask my about it all the time, I simply tell them its more for people that have no other high speed access in the area. As far as how much it is, I think its around $60 a month, but the equipment is $$$$ I heard around 800 or so.

I think the best bet is DTV and cable internet.

Also another issue with DirecWay or any other satelite internet service is latency time. So things, like voice over IP (Ex. Vonage), or multiplayer games tend not to works as well.

what about verizions service @ 60$ a month that they have? plugs right into the laptop and you can go anywhere. couldent you just plug that into you home computer

Sat Internet is almost fucking worthless. I have it at the store because nothing else was available. $600 for equipt., $175 or so for install, $60 /month for the same speed as the lowest tier of DSL. not to mention a little bit of cloud cover and it slows right down, some snow and u better go plug in your phone cord, cause ur offline till it stops and u brush the dish off.

don’t hate but comcast in SF is teh hotness. 6 mb for 29.99 or 8 mb for 49.99. :tup:

The only reason dish network offers so many HD channels is they bought Voom, and voom HD sucks balls.

Yeah out of the ten Voom HD channels I would watch maybe 1 or 2. Not worth it in my opinion.

HD is the wave of the future. There just isn’t much choice in the channels right now.

One of these companies should offer ALL the HBOs, Showtimes, and Cinemaxes in HD. Now that would be cool.