Cage build time

Well Ive been busy this spring working on a roll cage for the 240. Picked up an S&W weld in 10-point so Ive been doing some welding. Had to fix the rust holes in the floor so I thought meh might as well do the cage at the same time. Here is my progress, should be done by the end of next week since Ill be in toronto this weekend.

Finishing up the pillar bars right now, should have half or more done by the end of today.

You’re adding other bars to that cage that aren’t in those pics, right?

I sawy with some authority, those are some really nice looking welds man. Cage looks good.

^ ^ ^
+1 most solid i’ve seen, what set-up are you using?

yes theres 12 bars, even though its a 10 point cage, but Im adding a 13th that connects the rear strut towers, then the main hoop will be connected to it with 2 rear braces.

Thanks for the compliments btw, I love fabrication.

Setup is big motor and big turbo, hence the cage :slight_smile:

Wicked welds, looks ridiculously solid.:biggthumpup:

Not trying to call you out or go off tpoic.

Is it true that you need a qualified TIG welder to weld in the cage if it is to be used in a car that will be used on the track?? I’ve heard this numerous times, yet, never been given a straight answer.

no idea, if the track guy wants to see some certification Ill just show him my fist. Ive heard of guys running on the track without getting the cage certified. I think you only need it nhra certified if your running 9.99 or quicker.

Is your seat going to be able to go far enough back??

You need it approved by whatever sanctioning body you plan on running in, and the specifications may vary. Tig welding is not considered structural (iirc), so I would imagine they would require stick, or mig if anything. But either way, I don’t think they care about the certs of the welder (again, iirc), just that it passes the requirements in build quality. The inspector is the one who should be final judge of the welds anyway, it’s their job.

I don’t mean the cage itself. I’m talking about the welder who is welding in the cage. I’ve heard that the welder has to be TIG qualified… But, like I said, I’ve never been given a straight yes or no answer. I just hear it more often than not, that the welder who is welding in the cage must be qualified…

I hope someone can give us a straight answer…

TIG isn’t used for structural. But it can be in some cases. It’s mainly Flux cored, Metal cored, and Arc welding that are used for structural as they have the best penetration. MIG is more for production.

On a cage however, the metal is far from structural grade metal. If refering to structural as items such as bridges and buildings.

In the case of a roll cage. TIG can be as strong as anything else. Also creates a much more appealing weld.

To me, it makes perfect sense that the welder welding the in the cage be qualified. If the welds are at all to be inspected for their quality, it makes perfect sense.
I just wanna know if I’ll have to re-test myself every two years for TIG or not…

NHRA rulebook says:

All 4130 chrome moly tube welding must be done by
approved TIG heliarc process; mild steel welding must be done by
approved MIG wire feed or approved TIG heliarc process. Welding
must be free of slag and porosity. Any grinding of welds prohibited.

I think that just means approved method, Im tigging mild steel which is approved both ways. Dosnt say anything about certification.

link to rulebook for anyone interested: http://www.nhra.com/tech_specs/sportcompact/2008_SC_Rulebook.pdf

It makes sense to me as well, but I think I remember hearing that while the welds are inspected, the welder doesn’t need their tickets, though I’d imagine that may vary from sanctioning body, to sanctioning body… It’s not that expensive to renew your tickets, so I don’t see why you wouldn’t, if you’re welding for a living anyway… Usually the company you work for will pay for them anyway…

edit: damn work, you beat me to it… But apparently I was correct. Nothing about certification for the welder themselves, just that the welds must pass inspection.

It’s quite expensive to renew your qualifications… at about $100 per test… There are 4-6 positions per welding process. Each position is one on test.
There is also CWB and TSSA tests. Pipe welding tests… About 4 types of welding processes that you can get qualified for…

However, that’s only if your employer doesn’t pay for your tickets. Or if they aren’t even a CWB or TSSA certified shop.

To get 4 qualifications for 1 type of welding you need 4-6 welding position qualifications.
$100 per test do the math… It ain’t cheap.

Thankfully they recently changed the expirary dates on your qualifications if you’re not employed. It went from retesting every 90 days to retesting every 2 years. This was changed this past January…

My dad is a fully certified welder, and has been since before I was born, I know all about the certifications :wink:

But like I said, if you do it for a living, shelling out $1000 or two every couple years isn’t bad. Most teachers spend more than on their courses every year. (My mom’s a teacher)… And most shops pay for your tickets anyway… If they’re a decent employer, anyway…

If you want I’ll send you some pics of this monster piece my dad tig welded, it’s like 20’ tall, on a 25* angle or some jazz, pretty impressive…

Nothing wrong with Tig welding it but depending on the sanctioning body you are required to have all the welds gone over every so often (2ys tops I believe) same thing is required if you use chromely instead of DOM or ERW. You have to have all the welds gone over every so often to ensure the cages structural integrity.

One reason why Bolt In cages are better… (Thou people seem to think their not safe) but its better to relay on Grade 10 hardware vs some misc dudes welding abilities… Just doesnt count in NHRA if you run 9s.

Cages are fun…

http://www.u2ndyno.com/gallery/Project%20S14%202008/o_CAGED.jpg

yes sirrrrr I dont see why you need one tho? Maybe your pulling the dyno with your car and dont want chassis flex??? teehee

bahahaha - you asshole