calling all LS1 owners...

Catch can that shit.You’ll be able to look in the can can and see right where it is.

Troubleshoot it starting with the cheapest “fix” first.

I would change the oil you use first. Get away from Mobil 1 and use a heavier weight. You don’t drive it in the winter or below 32 degrees so you could def, get away with a 20-50. 10-30 is even better than what your using now. That should help, if not, catch can.

5w30 seems way to light for a big motor in summer temps…

My car used to burn 5w30 bad… supringly enough 5w40 seems to run very good in my car…

5w30 is not too light IMO. I wouldn’t go any heavier than 10w30… see if you can find something like this:

http://jlttruecoldair.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=23

that should keep the oil out of your PCV system. It’s a problem on the boosted cobras too. I know when I took my intake off to swap over the K&N there was oil in the TB. Dunno if they have em for Chevy’s but if they’re the same size it’ll work.

5w30 seems like water in high temps… I mean granted its fine but i dunno I’d rather use a heavier oil and not have to worry about it breaking down and burning off really fast

you’d rather worry about inadequate flow or rediculous pressures due to tighter clearances?

on second thought you prolly don’t have to worry because your car is a billion years old. All my old shit i run thick oil in too, but the new shit it’s really not required and will cause excess friction and loss of the all important HPs!

yea I suppose…

On another note Try 5w40… not sure how much differant it is from 5w30 but Im running amsoil 5w40 in the z and seems to burn way less oil than it did with 5w30

maybe I will try 20w50 and see if it burns it still.

thats some heavy oil for a cold start. 20w50 would be better in africa, not here… use a quality 10w30 or 5w40. i use castrol, but amsoil is awesome.

ok then I will go with 10w30

I need a oil thats going to go well with my high pressure oil pump also.

the 10 is the cold weight. 30 is the hot vicosity rating. if you run high oil temps a 40 would be better… id say a 10/40 or a 5w40, like the Rotella T

you’ll still use oil, catch can is your friend, all the ls1s do it

yeah get a moroso can and some hoses and do work.

LS2 so far, no oil consumption issues. 6.5 goes in, 3k miles later stick still on the full line.

i believe they use a different pvc system no? Ls1 pvc systems are garbage but the revised ls6 is nice

only the LS1’s burn oil. LS2’s dont…and if you do, theirs a problem.

whats the LS6 PVC look like?? Im not familiar with it.

look on ls1howto.com they have pics of the swap, to be honest its not worth it, to much parts and money, easier to just throw a catch can on it

good cal brett. I agree.

but seriously why do you need need a high pressure oil pump. the only need for that is a motor with extremely high seat pressure valvespring running a hydraulic camshaft. high volume would be better than high pressure but niether are necessary unless yopu have an extremely modified motor (tolerance wise) not bolt ons.

id recamend a vacuum pump setup and just use “breather” like other have said, and do believe the problem stems with the hp pump but is noticed after the camshaft swap do to thne extra “aeration” created by the lifters having to travel more in the lifter bore and oil galley. causing extra crank case pressures.

I have the Ported LS6 oil pump because its cheap, safe insurance on my new motor. I spin to 7k now with Patriot performance gold dual valve springs(.660 lift), texas-speed chromoly hardened pushrods (7.425) and a big cam so the more oil pressure I can get to the top end, the better off I am in the short and long run…

not to mention when the cam swap goes under way, the oil pump is right there anyways so why not have it changed? It was installed with no extra cost.

I did alot of research on my setup before I went with what I got, and I have the oil pump because its highly recommended for my setup on ls1tech.

there is no doubt that a better oil pump was the best choice, the stockers are prone to giving out, while your there you might as well change it