Camera Gurus

So the end of this month i will be in the market again for another DSLR
I have my eyes on the T1i kit. I know my way around the Canons pretty well but im wondering if Nikon is better? I know there is an on going dispute between the two. Thats why im posting here i want the option to record HD video and have a nice camera for pictures. I also see the T2i and the T1i are almost identical except for the megapixels and the fact that the T2i have better video quality.

Im stumped.

HELP!!!

D7000 coming from a nikon guy :slight_smile:

Really trying to stay below 800

you get what you pay for CANON = junk … lol know im gonna get slammed for that … since im about the only Nikon guy on here :ahh

They both take pictures.

Pick one up, see which one feels better in YOUR hands (button layout, etc) and make your decision from there. It’s the person holding the camera that takes the photo, the camera just captures light.

Its personal preference and loyalty to be honest. I’m a Nikon guy because my Uncle (professional photographer for 30+ years) and my father (Professional photographer for about ~20 years) both used and loved Nikons. Granted this was in the day of 35mm film, but because of that I have remained true to Nikons and especially after having used my Uncles D700? (Not sure what it is, not a 7000… but it has a 7 in it IIRC)

I have used both Nikons and Cannons, and its more about feel and user interface and features.

Either camera in the same class with a professional photographer will for the most part perform the same, some things and setting and conditions may differ for each camera but it all seems pretty standard these days.

Matt, get a cannon IIRC the price for a cannon that also takes good video is considerably less then a Nikon… To lazy to look right now, but last I looked pretty sure you couldent find a Nikon that takes HD video for less then ~1100

I was looking at the T1i which takes HD Video and is about 669 as a kit with a 18-55mm lens

IIRC its only 720p. idk if thats an issue for you… but i remember someone mentioning in another thread on here i think that the video the t1i takes is night and day compared to say the t2 or whatever the fuck the one with 1080p

I thought the t2i took better video, something about better frame rate…

Just so you know, at normal resolutions you can’t tell any difference between 720p and 1080 (on a monitor).

My Nikon was just around $800 shady. It’s the lenses that are boatloads. I have a D90.

Does the D90 1080 or 720?

direct from canons website they both offer full 1080p HD

T1i:

Full HD video capture at 1920 x 1080 resolution with HDMI output for HD viewing of stills and video.

T2i:

Improved EOS Movie mode with manual exposure control, expanded recording, new Movie Crop recording in 640 x 480 and external microphone IN terminal for access to improved sound quality.

I like Nikon.

Coming from a decent photographer that is an extremely ignorant statement. Do you have any facts to back up your statement that Canon is “junk” and Nikon is so much better?

I’m pretty sure his statement is directly based on his penis size.

I’m actually thinking of changing to Nikon. My friend just told me they have some ridiculous ISO settings which I could use in certain low light situations (such as the wedding I did this weekend). Yes I could get light equipment, etc. but at 800 ISO on my XTi, the pictures start to get grainy. My buddies Nikon goes up to like 6000…so I’m sure at 1000 ISO, pictures look great. In dark rooms, you can’t just set the shutter speed to something long and keep the ISO at 100, that’ll result in blurry ghost-like images, so a high-ISO or proper lighting is needed.

They both (Canon vs Nikon) have their pro’s and con’s, but it seems like for a wedding photographer, Nikon is it. I’m giving it serious thought.

I have a Canon XTi and here is pictures from my latest work:

http://www.ilyakol.com/IlyaKolProductions/?p=147

im pretty sure hes biased based on what he shoots and his familiarity level with his nikon. thats what he shoots with and thats his preference. im sure he had a little sarcasm thrown in there as well

Ilya, what about just getting better lenses?

I have an 18-200mm F3.5 and a 50mm F1.8 along with an 430II Flash. Sometimes you need a little more of a better body. I could probably go with a newer Canon and get better feature sets, but we’ll see. I haven’t made a decision on what I’m going to do. I have 2 more weddings this summer, so we’ll see if after those I still feel the same way.