Carnival Cruise 2013. NYSpeed's Thoughts?

There you go talking down to us common poor folk again. I know exactly what the differences are.

Princess is a great cruise line, without a doubt. It’s definitely several notches above carnival. Buy you’re going to be cruising with a bunch of 45+ folks who go to sleep at 9 o’clock. I’d rather go on a ship where the majority of people are going to be partying a bit and letting loose.

Calling the Carnival a cruise line for poor people is still an asshole comment no matter how you slice it. I understand we’re on the unfiletered internet, and everyone has their tough guy suits on, but come on. You sound like a pretentious prick.

I just like having all of my meals already paid for so I could just walk into an restaurant at anytime on the ship and get a good meal. To me that was a major factor of the cruise. I dont think I would care about Princess or Carnival, as long as it doesnt sink or have feces on my wall.

Seems like staffs on either one take care of you well and each ship offers great ammenities and things to do.

It’s not just NYSpeed go look around the internet lol

yeah, I know. I should know better than to buck the trend of bashing anything that the hive mind doesn’t agree with, but alas, I keep coming back for more.

I stand by my statements.

Frankly, I don’t really care. I just don’t feel like working and I disagree. I know plenty of people that have had a great time on the “poor people” cruise lines. They always come back with hangovers, tans and great stories. My parents cruised on Princess up to Alaska and also had a great time. Then they cruised on Princess in the carribean and had a terrible time. Oh well.

Idk the idea recently got tossed around by the wife so we looked into it and between reviews/friends comments we are going a different route.

The all inclusive Sandals vacation rank much higher

You’re probably making the right choice.

This! exactly. Carnival tends to have a younger more fun crowd. Disney is a little kids crowd and even royal Caribbean tends to be an older more boring crowd. Go on a carnival cruise for ten days and then tell me how its for poor people. I ate plenty of good food, stayed in a clean comfortable room and saw beautiful places ive never seen before and enjoyed every second of it. For what its worth carnival gets you a great bang for your buck. They are reasonable and affordable for the working class people just looking for a vacation.

As with anything else, i’m sure this will continue to get blown WAY out of proportion. Don’t get me wrong, i’d never want to get stuck in that situation, but these people will be going for the throat.

Carnival never seemed to be too great. I’ve been on Royal Caribbean and Princess. Both are nice, but Princess seems to be for the older crowd. Going on the R.C. “Oasis of the Seas” at the end of March, biggest ship in the world. Looking forward to it, hope there’s no fires! FWIW, its a 7 day cruise and we have a ocean side balcony room. For our 2-person room, it’s $2,800 which i think is very reasonable. “Only” pay for booze :nervous:.

Carnival Bus Breaks Down Carrying Passengers Who Were Aboard Cruise Ship

MOBILE, Ala. (CBS Houston/AP) — Passengers who were aboard the disabled Carnival cruise ship couldn’t even catch a break on land.

CBS News reports that one of the buses carrying passengers from Mobile, Ala., to New Orleans broke down.

Over 4,000 people on the Carnival Triumph were stranded in the Gulf of Mexico for five days after an engine room fire disabled the ship.

The cruise ship finally pulled into port, with the help of four tugboats, early Friday morning.

It took about four hours for all passengers to disembark.

Carnival spokesman Vance Gulliksen said Triumph guests had three options: board a bus straight to Galveston, Texas, to retrieve cars parked at the ship’s departure port, take a bus to New Orleans to stay at a hotel before a charter flight home or have family or friends pick them up in Mobile.

Gulliksen said up to 20 charter flights would leave New Orleans later Friday to take guests who stayed in hotels there to their final destinations.

Some passengers, like Deborah Knight, 56, of Houston, had no interest in boarding a bus. Her husband Seth drove in from Houston and they checked into a downtown Mobile hotel.

“I want a hot shower and a daggum Whataburger,” said Knight, who was wearing a bathrobe over her clothes as her bags were unloaded from her husband’s pickup truck. She said she was afraid to eat the food on board and had gotten sick while on the ship.

Buses arrived in the pre-dawn darkness at a Hilton in New Orleans to a host of reporters and paramedics on the scene with wheelchairs to roll in passengers who were elderly or too fatigued to walk.

Many were tired and didn’t want to talk. There were long lines to check into rooms. Some got emotional as they described the deplorable conditions of the ship.

“It was horrible, just horrible” said Maria Hernandez, 28, of Angleton, Texas, tears welling in her eyes as she talked about waking up to smoke in her lower-level room Sunday and the days of heat and stench to follow. She was on a “girls trip” with friends.

She said the group hauled mattresses to upper-level decks to escape the heat. As she pulled her luggage into the hotel, a flashlight around her neck, she managed a smile and even a giggle when asked to show her red “poo-poo bag” — distributed by the cruise line for collecting human waste.

This was only part of her journey to get home. Hernandez, like hundreds others, would get to enjoy a brief reprieve at the hotel before flying home later in the day.

“I just can’t wait to be home,” she said.

It wasn’t long after the ship pulled into the Port of Mobile that passengers began streaming down the gang plank, some in wheelchairs and others pulling carry-on luggage. An ambulance pulled up to a gate and pulled away, lights flashing.

Carnival CEO Gerry Cahill apologized at a news conference and later on the public address system as people were disembarking.

“I appreciate the patience of our guests and their ability to cope with the situation. And I’d like to reiterate the apology I made earlier. I know the conditions on board were very poor,” he said. “We pride ourselves on providing our guests with a great vacation experience, and clearly we failed in this particular case.”

The company disputed the accounts of passengers who described the ship as filthy, saying employees were doing everything to ensure people were comfortable.

In a text message, Kalin Hill, of Houston, described deplorable conditions over the past few days.

“The lower floors had it the worst, the floors ‘squish’ when you walk and lots of the lower rooms have flooding from above floors,” Hill wrote. “Half the bachelorette party was on two; the smell down there literally chokes you and hurts your eyes.”

She said “there’s poop and urine all along the floor. The floor is flooded with sewer water … and we had to poop in bags.”

While the passengers are headed home, the Triumph will head to a Mobile shipyard for assessment. Carnival has canceled a dozen more planned voyages aboard the Triumph and acknowledged the crippled ship had been plagued by other mechanical problems in the weeks before the engine-room blaze. The National Transportation Safety Board has opened an investigation.

Passengers were supposed to get a full refund and discounts on future cruises, and Carnival announced Wednesday they would each get an additional $500 in compensation.

LOL… I can tell you if I was on a vacation on a cruise that broke down and had to be towed to port, then got put on a bus that broke down I’d definitely pass on taking a plane home. Give me a rental car please, I’ll drive, even if it’s cross country.

yeah talk about adding insult to injury, i’d be fucking furious

speaking of which, I wonder if the airlines are helping these people out, or if they had to pay for new flights home.

I read these people are getting full refunds, future credits, free flights, and probably more.

Full refund, credit for another cruise, $500 and transportation to get them back to Galvaston where the ship originally departed was what I read earlier.

I’d almost go on a cruise knowing this would happen to get that stuff.

Meh, I don’t get enough vacation time at work to spend a week doing something shitty like literally shitting in bags, no matter what they’re going to pay me after.

So for $1,500 you’re willing to waste 5+ days of your life aboard a ship with no power and hallways filled with bags of shit and piss? Not to mention, eating nothing but bologna sandwhiches for 5 days?

No thanks.

Edit - God damn it JayS.

^ I think he also camped out for the latest iPhone before though, so it starts to make sense.

Anthony Capozzi got $4.25 million and only had to be locked up for 22 years? SIGN. ME. UP.

I’ve never waited in line for any shopping discounts that I can remember.

If I look at the total package it’s 2 entire cruises for free with other perks and only maybe 1-2 days of camping like conditions for only some of the people.

edit: I’d taking pooping into a paper bag on a cruise ship over sitting in my cube right now.

Wow broke down bus makes this suck even more for these people. Damn.