Centreforce Clutch Problems (Long Story)

This past week has been horrible. Last Wednesday my clutch was very sticky, and was fairly hard to get into gear, so I blamed the cold weather for it. But the next morning the clutch was even worse. My shifter would not move at all with the clutch engaged, and just started smoking when I held the clutch down. So I figured the clutch was toast, or the lines had an air bubble in them somewhere. Fast forward a few days, and the idiots at the garage I take it to can’t get the new clutch (Centreforce Dual Friction BTW) installed properly, so off it goes to Precise Transmissions. Now the clutch is installed, but chatters like crazy. Flywheel has been resurfaced, so I don’t know whats causing the chattering, unless the clutch was defective or something?

Any help?

Also, slave cylinder was replaced as well. Should’ve got an ACT clutch…FACK!

Clutch chatter isn’t all that uncommon. My buddy has a new clutch that chatters (his went away after a while). Major cause is ussually some sort of stuff between clutch plate and fly wheel. Maybe some oil or grease. I wouldn’t worry about it. The chatter will probably subside eventually. HOWEVER, if the clutch is not griping properly or slipping, you have a clutch plate problem.

i used over 5 centerforce Df clutches no issues…except they slip at around 275ftlbs torque …

i got an ACT a little while ago and it chattered for the first week then gradually went away as i broke it in. drive the car a bit and see how it goes

Is it Sprung or Un-Sprung?

Clutch chatter is normal on new clutches, just drive it for a bit.

MAke sure to adjust the clutch pedal after install, this can lead to premature clutch life and a chatter, my spec2 clutch always chattered.
htere should be an 1/8th of an inch worth of pay

-deez

are u breaking in the clutch properly? … gotta drive it easy, don’t shift over 3500rpm, try not to use the highway (u need to vary speeds with lots of stop and go traffic)… a few hundred kms should be sufficient for break in. (I went 1000kms with my ACT)

I haven’t even got the car back yet, thats the problem. The chattering was so bad, they had to take it apart again, and found some damage to the tranny, as well as the throwout bearing.

Right now it doesn’t look good

I’ve never had chatter with my DF centerforce. Centerforce clutches are VERY tempermental to break in… Gotta do it right or you’ll screw up the clutch.

On another note… Your initial problem actually sounded more like a clutch hydraulics problem.

i havent had any problem wit my centerforce DF however i found that it could also be the Throw out bearing catter ive had that on a few KA trannys…just a possibilty