changed oil today, found metal in it :/

changed the oil in the Camaro today, found all these small metal pieces :frowning: the hell did this come from?! the motor sounds completely fine, no knocks or anything
http://shift518.gom-host.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1652&d=1259431100

oh damn.

o wow

the motor sounds FINE though, that’s what’s throwing me for a loop

dead cameo

Test it.

Done

test what?

Cashed…run it till she goes

fuckin thing is still under warranty from Jasper, someone’s gonna be getting an angry phone call. Damn thing only had ~11k miles after they rebuilt the motor

may be the timing chain guiedes ,or just sludge are ya sure its metal try a magnet

almost looks like dried up sludge…

comp/leakdown

woooo boy

noooooooooooooooooooo.

He meant send the oil out and have it tested/analysed

a)sure it’s metal like others said?

b) have you switched oil compositions recently?

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh.

100% sure it’s metal it sticks to a magnet

Correct me if i’m wrong but I still feel like a comp/leakdown can’t hurt in this situation.

how many miles on motor
how is oil pressure still
how long on last oil change

that doesnt look like metal to me/…

and before you start flipping out, I changed my oil about 10k ago and I had Metal at the bottom of my oil pan that was so fine, it was like glitter…but more like grinder shavings. Like you, I freaked out and talked to a bunch of people. I even cut my oil filter inhalf to see if their was any metal in it, and not a single thing…clear as hell.

New motors, need to break in. Some take longer to break in then others. From the factory, the motors arent 100% clean from metal shavings and what not from the oil gellerys being drilled out. As parts start wearing in, they leave shavings.

I have done two oil changes sense my shavings and my oil was clear as day…and this was during dyno tuning periods, dyno pulls, racing etc…

What I did notice is that all my metal flake flushed out and down to the oil pan after I used a little thinner oil…this prolly helped all the break in shavings and what not to work its way through…I sense then thicked up my oil a little and havent had a problem. oil pressure hasnt dropped a beat, car runs perfect, no more burning oil sense my catch can and shit.

Moral of the story of this long post is, check things over before you freak out…that doesnt even look like metal to me tho.