Metal Failure

Here is a perfect example of what happens when you have metal failure in an engine. Those pieces of material (bearing in this case) travel in suspension in the engine oil being distributed everywhere. Metal suspended in a fluid tends to be abrasive and in time it can damage other parts that depend on oil for lubrication. Oils job is to lubricate, clean, cushion and carry heat away. The oil in this engine can do none of these properly when contaminated with a foreign material such as a rod bearing.

Anyone who was ever curious as to what a metal failure looks like and how it can affect other parts of the engine look below. This is the best example I have ever seen in such prestine detail. This is text book quality.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f279/Hybriddon/work/DSC02301.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f279/Hybriddon/work/DSC02300.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f279/Hybriddon/work/DSC02298.jpg

Finding the root cause of failure is the key to preventing the failure again. This engine lasted 2 years I beleive it was tuned for 8-9 psi originally then a few owners ran it at 15psi untuned and with massive (read, 3" tear in a charge pipe) boost leaks.

The theory as to the failure is sand. There is a gritty silica like material in the bottom of the pan, that, and it was reported that the customer was getting on the car with no filter on a turbo on the beachy areas of shirksten (sp?). The failure occoured at idle on the peace bridge.

I found a few other interesting things but they could have been contributing factors over time.

Bearing surprise!!!

i like to toss metal shaving in with my oil. its like extrude honing all your oil passages.

does this happen to be from a black car?!?!?!

that stinks, but, glad you found the cause!

It is spelled Sherkston, and you wouldn’t believe all the turbo’d imports throwing the R’s and spinning the tires in the sand. I shake my head every time I see it. Cause I am thinking, “sandblasting the inside of the engine clean.”

wait, so sand and metal shavings are not good?

i should probably stop drifting at the beach

I get nervous in dirt parking lots (my work) even with a fresh k&n filter.

haha. i thought this thread said “mental failure”

I was worried you finally snapped. :smiley:

reminds me of the “intake and head porting” x-post on ls1tech. VW kids putting sand in the TB so it would P&P thier intake and head ports :shakeshead:

:lol: Why am I not surprised?

my bearing 3 years ago

(don’t mind the paper, joestypeS didnt believe me when it happened.

sorry for the big picture but you can really see the bearing then. lack of oil and excessive amount of heat during assembly rotation will cause a bearing to look like this.

WOW, i thought my thrust and #1 bearing was bad!..

[quote=“newman,post:8,topic:36050"”]

haha. i thought this thread said “mental failure”

I was worried you finally snapped. :smiley:

[/quote]

hahahhahhahhahahaha nice.:clap:

You know, for something educational about cars. There was alot less interest in this than I expected. Hmmm, that says alot for this community.

Now lets all go vote on whether or not we are gonna get married.

crysi suck

i thought it was interesting:shrug:

when my shit blows, i wont have to worry about bearings because ill be shooting a rod through the block :carnut:

o yes get the story right lol, i went to sherkston, and on the way back after doing one pull this happend, i wasent doing pulls in the sand, im not THAT retarded haha

[quote=“Carnut,post:15,topic:36050"”]

You know, for something educational about cars. There was alot less interest in this than I expected. Hmmm, that says alot for this community.

Now lets all go vote on whether or not we are gonna get married.

[/quote]

LOL. ehh, people just want to go fast for free, lacking know-how:meh2: