metal flakes in oil

I changed the oil earlier last week and left it sitting for a few days. So I finally get a chance to empty it into another container when I noticed that there were metal flakes at the bottom. My questin is, is this serious or is it one of those things?

Well the oil can pick up bits and pieces of crap…i wouldn’t wory about it unless the car starts to act up. Just change your oil and hope that your engine doesn’t fall apart.

metal flakes = dead engine … check your oil a couple more times… if it reoccurs… ur pretty much well … F U C … K E .D

not like huge chunks or anything… just little tiny specks… but yeah i was thinking of getting a drain screw with a magnet on it or those meshy things to put on the end of the oil filter. If it get’s worse… could justify a motor swap (hopefully not till I can afford a new motor), there is over 220k on it.

yea i’d consider saving up for a new engine… … after my water pump gave out in the same instant my head gasket blew … cuz of the overheat… … … so instead of getting it fixed… i’m investing in a ka24de with 40k on it… … with the money i’m saving for the swap i’mma turbo prep the bottom end then do some head work … then i’ll put the turbo on… but that’s gonna cost … … i’d say around 7g’s all together … you’d get alot more power and it’ll save u in the long run

Small flakes are normal for older engines. Pistons, cylender walls,rings ,bearing etc all wear and the metal doesn’t just disapear. That is one of the purpose’s of oil besides cooling and lubbing it cleans all the crud (metal flakes ect…). some will make it to the filter but other (from bottom end components mainly will fall into the oil pan and sink not being picked up by the oil sump. This means it will never reach the filter. If you don’t let the oil drain for a long time or flush your engine regulary than these flakes will build up. This is the reason some car do come with magnetic drain plugs. I think they are a good idea and I would get one if I were you>

As long as the metal flakes didnt look like this your good.

http://members.rogers.com/shift_sr20det/Picture%20835.jpg

:stuck_out_tongue: