Chrysler v6 Turbo Project

I’ve been doin research into force induction for my 1993 Chrysler LeBaron. It has the Mits. 3.0L v6 SOHC engine. At first I started to come up with ideas for a s/c kit but I feel like it will be too difficult and to much money to do this. And the theroy behind my ideas were very shady… So I’ve been looking into building a turbo kit. This is looking more fruitful.

If anyone knows anyhting about these engines please look over my list of shit that I think will work and give me your opinion. Because besides for the little info on the internet that I’ve seen this is all just a stab in the dark.

-52mm Throttle body from a 3.3l or an '87 3.0l Caravan (maybe port to 56mm?? not sure yet)
-2.25" exhaust system
-Cold Air Intake
-MSD 6A Ignition
-MSD Spark Plug Wires
-Performance Platinum Spark Plugs
-Injectors from a VR-4/Stealth R/T TT
-Holley Fuel Pump 255 LPH (for a Daytona Shelby Z)
-AEM Universal Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
-Mitsubishi TD05H 16G Turbo (set down to 9psi??)
-Intercooler from a Starion/Conquest
-Port the Intake and Exhaust Manifolds
-DSM 1st gen. Blow Off Valve
-Air:Fuel Gauge
-Oil Pressure Gauge
-Boost Gauge

As I said this is just a shot in the dark so any and all help would be great. Thanks.

so when are you going to start with all this?

I want to start buying the parts ASAP and start work in the spring. But im not sure if all this is gonna work or not.

if its a v6 how are you putting the single turbo on?

Thinking of simplicity here, you might have an easier time mounting up the factory intercooler from one of the earlier turbo 4cyl models.

You’ve gotta be careful with the platinum plugs as they can cause detonation from the platinum tip being hot. Copper conducts better anyhow so you’ll probably want to stick with that.

Got a solution for actually mounting up the turbo?

This will require some significant plumbing to feed a single.

get the 3.3 l throttle body
and 9 psi is because that motor has too high of compression unless you are going to lower it

Not sure if you have checked out this link.
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/turbo3.html
Here is another great resource
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/
Make sure you read his section on air/fuel and EGT guages.
Another 3.0 resource.
http://www.geocities.com/phatfoto/
Good luck!
Dave

Larger exhaust piping, and skip on the starquest intercooler. Get an Ebay one and make some room for it. The single will almost drop right it. Put it righ above the tranny where the from manifold cross over pipe is, and block the rear mani’s outlet to force it threw the turbo.

basically like a turbo grand prix then :slight_smile:

Ah,i loved my 90 TGP,i miss that thing:beer:

why not just buy a turbo lebaron?

It has been done.

I’d Start here…
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=69

And Research!!!

John

I don’t have anything useful to contribute, other than keep us posted. Sounds like a pretty cool project. :slight_smile:

sounds like a great plan dude,
i love turbo dodges and own one myself so if u need any help or guidance let me know. ive done numerous turbo dodge projects so if i can be of any help pm me.

there are a couple issues with your list thought…

starion intercooler = shit.
pick up a stock SRT4 FMIC, they are only like 80$ shipped used on the srt forums… (thats what im running on my car, the daytona)

exhaust system needs to be bigger… 2 1/4 is a little small, 2.5 should be fine and cheaper than 3in. check out www.turbosunleashed.com for a downpipe and swingvalve.

AEM universal FPR dont work well with Td’s… chris at turbosunleashed has one that is made specifically for our cars…

1g dsm bov - will be fine as long as its not crushed… when you crush it, can complicate things and leak and other crap that will just be a pain in the ass down the road… ive been using an ebay special RFL BOV, which has worked fine, but after about 18psi it starts to leak…

if your looking to do it right, get a dawes device (a/f gauge) or an autometer A/f gauge. im currently running autometer ultralite II gauges; boost, egt, coolant temp, and A/F…

Wires/Plugs : Magnacore wires are 70$ but well worth it and needed for a TD, along with Champion plugs, the colder ones are harder to start in the winter, but much better for the car… never get bosch plugs… especially in a turbo car.

check out the dodgegarage… gary is a great guy and knows alot of good stuff… his site has helped me numerous times…

like i said, let me know if yah want some help or need something

~Kevin

damn, i wanna turbo my 02 eclipse gt v6 now

I dont think most of the chysler turbos were intercooled. I think only the spirt r/t and shelby z cars.

could save some money maybe and find a VNT 2.0 DOHC turbo motor from (i think) spirit RT.

dunno if it would bolt up…

I always wanted to hybird build my old 89 Shelby. 2.0 DOHC turbo shelby would have been nice

could save some money maybe and find a VNT 2.0 DOHC turbo motor from (i think) spirit RT.

dunno if it would bolt up…

I always wanted to hybird build my old 89 Shelby. 2.0 DOHC turbo shelby would have been nice

What? Your mixing up motors here. The Spirit R/T was a 2.2L with a lotus designed DOHC head, and was made in 91 and 92. The VNT turbo was only use one year, 1990, and only in the Shadow/Daytona/Lebaron. In 1989, you could get it in a Shelby CSX. The only 2.0L DOHC was in the neon.

I dont think most of the chysler turbos were intercooled. I think only the spirt r/t and shelby z cars.

The first intercooled car were Shelby’s GLH-S, 86-87, also in 87-89, you could get it in a Daytona CS/shelby, CSX, ShelbyLancer. 1990, in the VNT cars only. 91-92 Spirit R/T’s and 92-93 Daytona Iroc R/T’s. That’s it unless you live in Mexico, then you could get it in a K-car and up till 1995!

John

The point behind this project is to add a little hp to the car. I like the stock motor dunno why i just do. But yeah if i was gonna spend the time and money into an engine swap i deffinatly wouldnt put that engine in. Nice idea though, just not my kinda taste