cluster problems

ok so my first problem. The light inside the cluster doesn’t work… and then now my speedo just reads way past 180 all the time and SOMETIMES it will work. And then other times it won’t. Wondering why this is. Just had an aftermarket stereo installed could that be it?? SOHC 5 speed 89

thanks guys.

Theirs two little wires that go to the transmission that are attached to the speed sensor, on the passenger side of the transmission. They got rusted on mine, I had to soter them back on. It solved the problem. Although I have a dohc, but I’m sure its the same deal

humm… ill be droping the trans to do the clutch soon anywho. ill take a look. thanks alot. do u know about the light to?? im tired of turning the overhead lamp on to see anything lol

The light I don’t know, that could be a couple of things, broken fuse, burnt out bulb, some sort of wiring problem. sorry

yeah im guna try the fuses i know darkforcejakel has the same problem and a couple other ppl… thanks alot tho.

none of the fuses are blown and my speed is ALWAYS at 180, ideas? and my headlights still dont work for some reson.

you need a speedo, mine use to do that on my DOHC, then i swapped a sohc in which made it even stupiderer. now i got a new one for the DOHC, which works like a charm.

will definatly try that one. sucks cause i had 3 of them laying around and gave them all away.

interesting, i’ll be fixing mine soon then too. Thanks for the info. My speed is so conscrewed, i 've memorized the rpms off my friends 240 so i know roughly how much i m going at. LOL.

lol i just pase who ever is infront of me or pray theres no cops anywhere.

If it will work sometimes my bet is its the spedo in the cluster…just swap that.

When my car was doing this id get random fuelcuts in 3rd,4th or 5th…Swapping the spedo in the cluster solved the issue on my sohc like a charm.

ok im going to try to fix it by putting a new spedo in, but i checked all my fuses and everything and my dash light is still not working… wtf?? and my headlights no longer go up or down. theres no power to the relay at all. help please?

I had the same problem, i replaced the speed sensor on the tranny and the little white accessery box beside the fuse panel. Worked like a charm. Also check your dimmer switch because that may be screwed up, else its probably the white box. as for your headlights, check for power from the button itself, the fuse under the hood, and the connector to the headlight motor using a multi meter. I’m guessing its a ground. Also if you drive alot at night, you can get the headlights up manually using the knob on the motor, it has a cap over it, just pop it off and twist til the headlight is fully up.

I have the same problem only worse:

As I turn on my car the needle jumps to 180 and I hit it sometime and it goes back to normal.

Another thing is that my speedometer moves every time I rev the engine,
At 3000rpm it says I’m going 50-60km/h.

And finally the last thing. Sometimes my speedometer goes nuts. For example: It jumps from 0-180 really fast. The person that I purchased my 240 from had changed the dash lights, if that could be anything to do with it.

If anyone can shed some light onto this situation that would really be appreciated. I’m taking it to Nissan tomorrow but its going to cost $95 an hour so I want to try and fix this myself.

Thanks,
Craig

its the speedo… get one for like 10 bucks on here then swap em it takes 10 minutes and ur done…