Clutch Squeals on cold start

When I start up the car and shift into reverse or first gear, when gradually letting the clutch go (to the point that it is moving slowly) it makes a squealing noise (very loud and annoying). Its almost like a whining noise if u know what I mean. Any help on what the problem is/how to fix it? Thanks.

I’m sorry for posting this (very un-concise and un-Sven) but if you had searched around a bit you’d have found this anyway.

This is an old problem and has been solved. This is a post from Diego on the amarok list from a while back.

abstract: you’ve broken a little piece that silences the spring, below is more details.

Don’t listen to Steve…the dealer WON’T know exactly what you mean unless you bring in the
broken plastic clip and show it to them. And even then, the dealer will look at you like,
“HUH?..What’s this??”. …don’t ask me how I know this!!
The part number you are looking for should be:
DAT4653435F10 otherwise know as a Pedal bushing. Price as of 09/16/00 was $7.25. Don’t be
surprised if the price has gone up since then.
And as for what the plastic clutch pedal bushing looks like and where it goes, I’ve attached two
JPEG files to this e-mail showing the clip & it’s placement on the clutch pedal arm, (the
240-chat server may strip the pics for the group but you should be able to receive them. If not
e-mail me off list & I’ll resend).
When you open up the Clutch drawing JPEG file, look for the letter “A”. The plastic clutch pedal
bushing clip goes into the half-moon shaped “U” at the top of the clutch pedal arm. That stupid
little plastic clutch pedal bushing helps to prevent the squeaking sound you hear EVERY time you
push your clutch pedal in. It also keeps the clutch pedal arm snugged firmly up against the
cruise control switch on your clutch pedal arm. Without that stupid little plastic clutch pedal
bushing your clutch pedal arm won’t sit firmly against your cruise control switch and your
cruise control won’t work cuz of it.
Replacing that stupid little plastic clutch pedal bushing is a MAJOR FRIGGIN PAIN IN THE ASS!!
Like Jason said in his previous e-mail, be prepared to spend some time on your back crammed
underneath your dashboard trying to get that stupid clip in. Easiest way I found to install it
is to: 1). remove both the clevis & snap pins on the clutch pedal arm, (see Clutch drawing JPEG
file below the letter “A”), 2). remove the clutch pedal arm from the clutch master cylinder
piston/push rod, 3). then unscrew/remove the metal “U” clip from the clutch master cylinder
piston/push rod - see letter “B” in the Clutch drawing JPEG file. It’s VERY IMPORTANT that you remove the metal “U” clip from the clutch master cylinder piston
push rod. If you don’t remove the metal “U” clip from the clutch master cylinder piston/push
rod, you could accidently break the metal clip that goes from your clutch pedal arm to the
clutch piston/push rod. Break that metal clip & there is no way you’ll be able to reattach your
clutch pedal arm back to the clutch master cylinder piston/push rod!! Just because the clip is
metal, don’t false assume that it will NOT break. The metal alloy used in that clip is NOT steel
and can be broken.(DON"T ASK ME HOW I KNOW THIS CUZ I DID!!!..the dealer WILL NOT sell you that
clip either … you will have to buy the whole master clutch cylinder just to get that
clip…fortunately I was able to find that metal clip off a S13 240sx at a local junk yard). Anyhow, getting back to installing the plastic clip, once you remove the metal “U” clip from the
clutch push rod, push the clutch push rod to the side out of the way, 4). take the plastic
clutch pedal bushing & place it inside the half-moon shaped “U” at the top of the clutch pedal
arm. 5). Take a large flathead screwdriver or wood chisel and use the leverage from the
screwdriver/chisel to push the clutch assist spring on the clutch pedal assembly back while you
try to get the plastic clip to seat back on the clutch assist spring, (you’ll understand what
I’m talking about once you crawl underneath the dashboard and look at the clutch spring).
Getting the clip back on is rather easy and straight forward to do but it’s just a major pain in
the ass to do. That stupid plastic clip will fall off everytime you try. Anyhow, I sure hope all this info helps…apologies for such a long winded post!
[/quote]

I doubt it… squealing vs squeaking.

Squealing indicates something wrong with the rotating clutch assembly or something in contcat withit. My guess would be the release bearing is worn out.

-Martin.

My bad should have read more carefully, he did say squealing.

Anyway … if you’re getting a squeaking noise from the clutch pedal area what I described above is the fix; otherwise take MRW’s advice.

Try to meantion the area sounds come from … hard to hear a squeak / squeal on a text board :wink:

Thanks for posting that Sven my pedal does that but my cruise still works.

For those who may not know it is an SR in his car now… not that the release bearing will make a different noise per motor…

My cruise still worked too but my clip WAS broken and causing that sound.

If that applies to you, you might want to check it out.

I’ve heard that if you squirt some lube up there and it goes away for a bit before coming back this suggests that clip will solve the problem.