Clutch Switch and ECU

Does anyone know why the ECU cares if clutch is depressed or not ?

I defeated mine by shorting it because I am too lazy to keep my head under the dash and repair / replace it.

I know it is used to cancel the cruise control (if I clutch in now in cruise my rpms will just keep climbing woohoO!) but why does the signal go to the ECU first (unlike the cancel switch by the brake)?

Can anyone think of any weird side effects I’m missing? I’ve been running with it shorted for a few days now and everything seems to be fine.

Nah man it’s all good…

The only reason its there is to start your car and cancel cruise.

It has nothing to do with the ECU.

Since we’re on the subject, riddle me this:

Do any 240s have a clutch interlock switch? I can start my car without depressing the clutch and the couple other 240s I remembered to check also didn’t have a clutch interlock switch.

From what I’ve read in the 93 FSM, there are two switches: one at the top of the pedal’s travel that cancels cruise as soon as the pedal is moved more than like 3" and one at the bottom (meaning the pedal has to be fully depressed to hit it) for starting the car.

So what’s the deal?

I’ve never known an S13 to have it.

They all have the relay’s and the wireing to go with it but it goes no where…

S14’s have it though.

^^^ that’s because you’ve never seen an american car

by law they needed clutch interlocks

they got clutch interlock switches we got DTRLs

Wow so they couldn’t just cary it over to Canada?

Stupid.

Thanks for the clarification guys.

Ahh ha ha, suckers.

here in canada we know we can’t start our cars in gear without clutching in.

americans are not so fortunate

edit … hell they elected bush again …

the switch is just so that you can’t do something retarded like start the car in gear. same way you can’t start an automatic in drive or reverse.

speaking of those interlocks, heh, I removed mine and this one time I was working on the car with a buddy and tried to start the car through the window not realizing it was in gear and smoked my friend that was standing in front of the car haha.

i have a 93 and i can start my car without pushing in the clutch i do it all the time if im standing outside the car

Thanks for contributing :roll:

Thanks for contributing :roll:

8)[/quote]

no problem.

thanks for the smartass coment.

if you answerd your own question then why did you post it.

oh ya your a mod so the rules dont apply.

^^^ Acutally if you had read the thread before making your own smartass reply you’d know my question was about the ASCD cancel switch on top of the clutch, and now we are talking the interlock switch on the bottom of the clutch.

And besides all that … you’re right the rules don’t apply to me.
:-#