Cool thing I found out about Sunoco and Shell Gas

^^ What is your definition of NEW?

I have a 2005 Legacy 2.5GT. Are you saying that I should go with a fuel that has ethanol added to it?

doesnt ethanol make engine run hotter? i need edjucation on this topic

^^ Take out your note pad son!

Maybe by new, I should have stated certain NEW vehicles.

These flex fuel cars for example. Do the same test you did with your subi, on one of them and see.

80% of the time. The fuel the manufacturer tells you to use…is the fuel to use.

Fuels are much more complicated then everyone thinks. A lot of it depends on the car of course. Mods and tune.

It is always a test and tune type of deal when finding the right fuel for your rig. I tested all the fuels. V-power yields the best results in my RB20 S13.

Sunoco 89 yielded the best results for my old ass 2.8 S-10.

Of course these are readily and easily available street fuels. Track cars…well, people ALWAYS run the wrong fuels. It takes a lot of knowledge and time to find the right fuel for any car. Not even just for performance. Longevity and reliability as well. Throttle response etc etc.

By no means am I an expert either. So do not ask lol.

Some fuels in your car, will give amazing mileage and ass face performance.
Some fuels in your car, will give complete opposite results.

test and tune.

Get ready guys.

http://www.premiere.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/media/images/ff_quote_14/593671-1-eng-US/ff_quote_14.jpg

Ha… Mark, you are the shit.

Quick search on google via wikipedia on ethanol

Ethanol fuel is ethanol (ethyl alcohol), the same type of alcohol found in alcoholic beverages. It can be used as a fuel, mainly as a biofuel alternative to gasoline, and is widely used by flex-fuel light vehicles in Brazil, and as an oxygenate to gasoline in the United States. Together, both countries were responsible for 89 percent of the world’s ethanol fuel production in 2008.[1] Because it is easy to manufacture and process and can be made from very common crops such as sugar cane, potato, manioc and corn, in several countries ethanol fuel is increasingly being blended as gasohol or used as an oxygenate in gasoline. Bioethanol, unlike petroleum, is a renewable resource that can be produced from agricultural feedstocks.
Anhydrous ethanol (ethanol with less than 1% water) can be blended with gasoline in varying quantities up to pure ethanol (E100), and most modern gasoline engines will operate well with mixtures of 10% ethanol (E10).[2] Most cars on the road today in the U.S. can run on blends of up to 10% ethanol,[3] and the use of 10% ethanol gasoline is mandated in some cities.
Ethanol can be mass-produced by fermentation of sugar or by hydration of ethylene (ethene CH2=CH2) from petroleum and other sources. Current interest in ethanol mainly lies in bio-ethanol, produced from the starch or sugar in a wide variety of crops, but there has been considerable debate about how useful bio-ethanol will be in replacing fossil fuels in vehicles. Concerns relate to the large amount of arable land required for crops,[4] as well as the energy and pollution balance of the whole cycle of ethanol production.[5][6] Recent developments with cellulosic ethanol production and commercialization may allay some of these concerns.[7]

Just from reading that short. Can you wonder WHY ethanol is being used. Add that with the mark up on the price of fuel. Purrrrrrrrrrrrrre profit. Obviously

E85 is simply amazing economically and a proven power adder, how hard and costly would it be to convert to E85? lol.

I’ve used Sunoco for most of the 240’s and the winter beater Tercel’s life, no problems from both of them from it but I’m going to try out shell for a long-term evaluation to see how it drives and costs on fuel. Sometimes the car seems to pull hard and other times it doesn’t seem as lively I have no idea why that is from different start and drives? lol.

Do not expect a huge difference right away.

ECM needs to realize and re-map the system for the fuel.

Always takes a few tank fulls

I think when I have to re-tune my car I might do it on Shell V-power, might as well save some money.

I’ve been told it’s only like 20 minutes for the ECU to re-tune itself.

Maybe that’s just for Subbies.

Like I said, I’m no expert lol

But I have a general idea :wink:

Here is a post i wrote on TSC. A member brought up Sunoco Points.

I actually looked into the Sunoco points and tried to calculate this.

It calculates to 16 fills as per website for a $20 Gift Card (20,000 points)

How I calculated this is below:

Assuming you fill up 60L as that is the approximate capacity for your vehicle.

20 points/L for 94 Octane.

20x60= 1,200 points on every 60L fill.

20,000/1,200 = 16.67 Fills.

That is for a $20 Gift Card.

Seems like a lot of people save up to 50-100kms per TANK going with Shell. That is approximately 5-10L of savings for each fill.

For 16 Fills, you save almost 112L going with Shell, as I took the average of 5-10L of savings as 7L.

112L > $20

Sorry, I’m not trying to argue or anything. Just like stating facts

If I’m wrong with the above facts, please correct me!

Samson, did you just get a job with Shell? :wink:

No, I work at Canada’s Largest Bank :slight_smile:

I just like doing calculations and saving money for fellow enthusiasts.

My car runs better on Shell 91 vs Sunoco 91/94. I believe it is only because of the ethanol being removed.

It also has a very smart ecu that can adapt a very large amount, even after upping the boost to 16 psi I still feel the same results.

Stock tune.

I do not drive a 240sx. broooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

This is my my srs post for the year.

FACTS

Fuel Type MJ/L

Ethanol 23.5
E85 (85% ethanol, 15% gasoline) 25.2
Gasohol (90% gasoline + 10% ethanol) 33.7
Regular Gasoline 34.8
Diesel 38.6

more detailed info here, down the page in easy to read chart form

hondas = shit thats why they run better on 91. :smiley:

I was watching 60/60 episode on gas pretty much all gas comes from the same place they just re brand it as there own name. Pretty much all the gas sold at different gas stations come from the same place. Shell might be different but i might doubt it

Thats incorrect there is no way I myself and others would get different gas mileage from different gas stations if you were correct, believe me their different…

Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl

this is what you should be worried about, this has been used to raise the octane rating after leaded fuels where banned , and it has been banned in the united states do to health concerns