Cop Alert

I doubt that.

Safer roads, maybe. Less insurance in NYS, unpossible.

Not necessarily, you’d have to keep those receipts in your car. Even then there have been times when the officer wants to be a dick and says fuck your receipts, I’m going by the laptop in my car. Impound city.

True story.

Yeah youll say that now until your car gets wrecked by a guy driveing with no insurance and he was at fault

Actually, comparing it to cameras is a stretch.

Every vehicle must, by law, display a standard identification tag. In NY it’s required both on the front and rear of the vehicle. The police can run this identification at any time for any reason, and it’s perfectly legal. These ANPR systems are just automating an already legal and existing ID system.

To compare it to street cameras would require that people walking on the street keep their ID visible at all times, and the simple act of not displaying your ID would be a violation of the law.

What if you have a valid plate on the wrong car?

:word:

You’re taking the comparison too literally. In comparing them I was referring to the use of new surveillance technologies by law enforcement to fight crime. The use of which in their current stated capacity I am fine with.

However, the technology behind these systems could easily be applied to violate civil liberties should those in charge decide to do so/should the public allow the proliferation of more invasive forms of surveillance in the name (guise if you’re a conspiracy theorist) of greater safety for all.

ok, you are right in this case but it can certainly evolve into something much uglier

One thing about the current systems is that they cannot distinguish between in state and out of state plates. This causes problems.

Another issue is when someone reports a car stolen, recovers it, and forgets to notify the PD. From my conversation with the NYS Police, that happens a LOT. There is something else (if I remember correctly) they call a “Junky Rental”… crackhead lets dealer use their car in exchange for some shit. Crackhead wakes up in the morning and forgets they lent the car our… reports it stolen… and creates a mess. This also seems to happen a lot.

then your a fuckin idiot! thats what!

jays question for you.
say this thing picks up the person who has the DWI’s and blah blah and you get pulled over but the DRIVER of the car is not the PERSON LISTED on the cops screen, then what? does he get let go? or does he become a target for borrowing dads car since dad cannot use it, bearing in mind everything else on the car IS legal

WORD. ^^^

I get pulled over all the time in Angola/Evans because my car is registered to my dad, and my dad’s a Kingsmen. So I guess that shit comes up when they run my plates while riding my ass. (I fucking hate that. Gets me all nervous. Even if I’m not doing anything wrong.) Had my car searched a couple times for “guns, knives, and drugs.” It’s such a hassle.

Pull people over if they’re doing a serious traffic infraction at that point in time. Not if the plate is scanned and it shows something stupid. Ugh.

City of Buffalo is reporting that its working way past expectations… they bought like 5 more units.

I think he was referring to the old “slap plates from one car on another to transport it home” deal. Not that I’ve ever done that of course.

Exactly the point I was trying to make. And don’t think for a second that this is going to curb profiling. Cops will still stop you because of skin color, your age, the type of car you drive, or the area you are in. It will just give them MORE reasons to pull people over, not just different ones.

Then you’re busted. It’s illegal to swap a plate from one vehicle to another without going through the DMV. It’s not a dealer plate, you can’t just play musical cars with it. Stop being cheap and get a transport plate, or register your car.

I didn’t see anything about this system removing the cop from the car and turning it into some computer controlled drone. I’m pretty sure he can look at the plate and realize it’s not a NY plate. Maybe the first week he has it installed in his car he mistakenly pulls over someone from Ohio, but after looking like an ass once I think he’ll remember that issue from then on.

You can’t be serious. You want to fight a system because it might present a hard time to junkies who lend their car out to crack dealers? Either party getting pulled over in that case is a great thing, especially if the cop actually finds drugs on them during the stop.

Maybe register YOUR CAR in YOUR NAME? What a concept huh? And please don’t come back with, “It saves me money on insurance”. If you can’t afford insurance in your own name you shouldn’t be buying BMW’s. :bloated:

Easy. You know that little photo ID you’re required to have on you at all times when you’re driving a car. I think they call it a LICENSE? Show it to the cop, he’ll see you’re not the unlicensed person the car is registered to, and assuming you don’t have some legal problems of your own you’re on your way. Of course, if the car you were lent turns out to be unregistered or uninsured you’re screwed and deserve to be.

I mean honestly, how many people lose their license but keep a car registered in their name? If you’ve done something bad enough to lose your license your insurance is going to be really high. It seems pretty counter productive to pay to register and insure a vehicle you can’t drive.

I think a lot of people are just making up stupid hypothetical situations because this system is bad news for THEM, with their suspended licenses, lapsed insurance, musical plate games, insurance reduction games and expired inspection stickers.

But in the end, you can cry about it all you want. As was already posted Buffalo has tried the system and love it, and I believe Erie County Sheriffs have as well. The same goes for every other police department who has installed one to try it that I’ve read about. These systems are here to stay and are only going to become more common. So like the original post stated, you’ve been warned that it’s out there.

awesome…

tonwanda cops have this, If ya ever wonder why they follow you for a while this is why, they either scan or run the plate first

While I agree with you on most points

1. Young people need to what they need to do to save money so that situation is perfectly fine for dawn. (my insurance dropped form $3000 every 6 months to $900 when my parents finally let me on their policy after 3 years and im loving saving $4000 a year, dont even try to argue that.

2. People get their licences revoked all the time and dont even know it just for things as small as not showing up for court for a stop sign ticket. They still may be irresponsible for it but things like that will not make your insurance skyrocket.

If you’re young and paying 3000/6 months you either A, have a terrible driving record, or B, are driving a sports car that a young driver shouldn’t have in the first place. Both of those are your decision so if you decide to do that then register the car with a parent who the cops are after, no pity here. What most young kids do to save money is buy a cheap car and not carry collision.

True, and those people should be pulled over because their license is suspended due to their own stupidity. If you’re borrowing the car from this person look for more responsible friends or at a minimum don’t drive their cars.

I still haven’t seen one valid arguement against these systems. For those of you arguing about “the man tracking you”, do you have an EZPass? A whole lot more tracking of innocent citizens there than these plate systems that are only looking for criminals. Or as Justin mentioned, your cell phone with the eGPS system.

A person Credit history/score can also/does have an impact on insurance rates.

Also, persons not knowing their license is suspended happens all the time. Look at Mike from innovative, that’s a classic case right there. DMV made the mistake not him. I know a few people who paid fine/tickets but the court never sent info to DMV to update. How is that the persons fault? Huge hassle that should not have happened.

I’m up in the air for this system, not arguing for or against it. Does seem like a good idea. I do feel its more about $ than anyone’s safety. Highly doubt insurance companies are going to magically start dropping rates from all the bad people coming off the road.

:ohnoes:

If you’re so young that you need to put a car on your parent’s insurance, how much credit history can you really have? Again, if you’ve screwed up your credit that bad so soon it was your bad choices. For this system to affect you not only do you have to do this, but your parent has to be doing something to get one the police database.

So the DMV screwed up, what does it have to do with this system? The fact is your license is suspended and you don’t know it. At least after the system flags you you’ll know about it and if you really did pay that fine it will get straightened out. Mistakes in record keeping shouldn’t have any weight on the arguement of an enforcement tool. Besides that, for every 10 people who tell you about how “the DMV screwed up”, I’m pretty sure about 9 of them had something to do with the mistake.

And how can you say a system that gets unlicensed and uninsured drivers off the road isn’t helping safety? Lets not forget that it also immediately identifies any stolen car, something WNY has way too many of. Red light cameras and speed zone cameras are revenue generators, this is going after much more serious offenses.

Getting even more ot here but…

Im so sick of statements like this from og’s, and by og’s I mean old guys.

Its such an ignorant statement. While its understood the wrong power can fall into the wrong hands (and sometimes it does) what is to say if a young person has a passion for autos and some sort of access to getting a car of this nature, that its so unacceptable for them to bend over backwards to get it and then maintain it and then modify it. We (young people) have to take what we can get but if driving a fast car falls into our priorities and is some how obtainable why not go for it (and then even cut every corner we can to save elsewhere)? Because its not how the progression of age works. Well I feel thats bs and am frankly tired of hearing it.

Your only young once. I for one feel obligated to live it to the maximum because tomorrow it may be gone
/end sappy rant