Custom 911 Exhaust

Ross Temple built my RX8 exhaust, and as many of you know that car is still alive and racing - and sounds brutal. The weight savings were huge.

So I asked him to do it again for my 911.

Predictably awesome results.

This man is an actual Wizard.

… Buuuuut how does it sound?

I posted links? It won’t let me embed on my iPhone

Fixed. Your iPhone wanted to link the mobile YouTube URL which doesn’t work for embed.

sounds mean for WC911, nice

You couldn’t find some better looking tips?

I came into this thread expecting something similar to filthy habits style fab work but this looks more like you let muffler man have a crack at it.

I also don’t think it sounds that great either.

:io:

at the end of the day it doesn’t matter what I think because its your car but you posted it here looking for opinions and comments…

Cosmetics are literally never a consideration in anything I do.

Light weight is the one and only goal of any exhaust.

Just checking because it looks like shit :tup:

I’ll agree, looks weak… I’m sure we can expect some comment about how its 1.6 lbs less than the lightest off the shelf option

edit: was already above by the time I posted lol

Please feel free to put whatever kind of exhaust you’d like on your 911.

This saved approximately 40 lbs. My GT3 seats chopped off another 50 lbs. my wheels saved around 20 lbs and are 1" wider.

The car weighed 2904 lbs to begin with.

Did you consider aluminum?

http://www.nyspeed.com/showthread.php?243245-STM-Custom-Aluminum-Exhaust

I had an aluminum exhaust on last year’s race car which failed halfway through the season. It was 6 lbs.

I met Ross who built the cages on a few of the endurance cars I stared racing and he built me a steel replacement. It was 12 lbs.

Oh i see. I have been running an aluminum exhaust for two years but I am sure the conditions when you race quite harsh on it. I am all for weight savings as well.

Then why have mufflers? What material is that? If it’s 16ga 304ss or mild steel then this statement is a lie.

Because the series I race in has strict decibel limits which I can’t exceed.

• Updated - - -

the EGTs from a rotary are typically higher than other cars. Readings as high as 1800 degrees.

Couple that with intense runs followed by periods of inaction and you’ve got a lot of stress on the material which is why it failed.

Looking at pictures of your old AL exhaust, it was insufficiently supported. I suspect the thermal effects could have been mitigated with proper support.

If you were that concerned about weight, you could have used a short radius 180 bend at the top and eliminated a lot of pipe. Maybe you should have had a fabricator build your exhaust instead of Harry Potter.

http://media.giphy.com/media/yt50itYQf9apy/giphy.gif

I am in fucking tears here at work. And they already think I’m a bit unbalanced

:lol: