Dad's new toy

My dad has been a Corvette Enthusiest for years, and even started the Glen Region Corvette Club down by Elmira. His last corvette got traded in for a station wagon back when I was three (and too tall to get strapped into the T-Top spot of his 78)

Well, My brother and I both have graduated college, and so he decided that it was time to get another one. So his friend told him he was looking to trade in his 2001 6 spd convertible on a new 09 vert, and asked if my dad wanted to buy it before it was traded. Of course he took him up on it.

And this is the car. First time it ever saw rain was on the back of the car trailer on the way home.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3655/3397502702_4256a48c8b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3541/3396690935_e9a7e40b4b.jpg

And even though it is a C5 and all, you just can’t beat this:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3623/3396725731_7df7b5b688.jpg

It’s sitting in the garage now waiting for him to get the paperwork finished and for it to get nice. It is basically brand new inside and out. Hopefully this summer he’ll let me take it out for a spin.

thats lowwwww mileage

congrats and get the front platecover back on there!!!

My dads milage can beat your dads milage.

2003 vert. with just over 1800 miles.
It has never seen the rain and still has all the nubby things on the tires.

Its a terrible waste IMO.

Edit: how much wsa the dealer offering?
My dad should not keep a car he does not drive IMO.

No clue on any pricing. My dad plans to drive the car during the summers and take it to the shows. That’s why he went with a newer one, instead of looking for an older one like he used to have. He wanted to drive it and not have to worry.

His friend does drive his cars, but very little and only around town. He also has an 07 Z06 and an Audi S5 to split his time between, so that’s part of the reason they stay low.

And the plate cover is in the trunk, but I believe my dad is going to go legal like with it and put the plate there.

very nice.

Not everyone buys/owns cars to beat them into the ground.

When we had a porsche about 10 years ago, I think he drove it 2x and once was just around the block.

Seriously. I don’t understand people who buy enthusiast cars that they then consider too nice to drive and don’t use it for the thing that it was so carefully designed for to make it expensive in the first place!
:roflpicard:

nice upgrade from a station wagon!

He bought it because he always wanted one.
He has only taken it to/from work a few times. It helps that his work is
2 miles away.

That and he was usually working 60+ hours per week. Now that hes down to 40, maybe he will drive it this summer. And, i’ll try too :slight_smile:

wow, thats a nice car. doesn’t matter what he paid, as long as he likes it.

Damn nice car. That has my Cobras mileage beat. :tup:

I don’t understand people who think having low miles means you don’t appreciate or enjoy it. :morans:

Cool to hear. Pretty damn low miles too. (not being a dick) but wouldn’t you think that extremely low miles on a car would potentially be harder on it? more starts after long periods of sitting idle and more short trips? Either way, modern engines don’t really give two shits so… :tup:

very nice!

It does matter. Obv. it was worth it to the person that is buying.

I’m just trying to see what dealers would offer for a mint condition vette.
I would assume that like most people, you feel better selling a car to a friend for what the dealer offered than seeing the markup after the sale.

My pops has always been a Camaro guy. I’m thinking he might be looking into new ones.

Oh, and :tup: to a vette that is not ‘arrest me red’ :slight_smile:

:picard:

Having low miles means you don’t drive it often. I’m fine with low miles, but I don’t understand people who buy really nice sports cars, just to drive once a month during the summer at 30 mph on a straight section of road.

I’m glad they enjoy it, and I understand that they do, I just don’t understand it. To me, it’s like spending an absurd amount of money on a really high quality rifle and then just always polishing it but never going shooting with it.

:picard: to you

again.

just because it has low miles doesn’t mean they don’t enjoy it. just because YOU think you have to drive it a lot of miles to enjoy it doesn’t mean everyone else does.

my Triumph has really low miles on it, doesn’t mean that I don’t enjoy it, and I would argue that I have enjoyed it more than people that may have 5 times as many miles because it was quality track miles.

besides, non-poor people often have several cars, and often have several toy cars, resulting in them not piling on miles.

I like how you magically assume that low miles means they go 30 mph on straight roads :picard::picard::picard::picard::picard:

I’m not going to picard you again because this is getting stupid, but I will say that you clearly are picking and choosing what you respond to.

I AM GLAD THEY ENJOY IT. I just don’t understand it. It doesn’t make sense to me. It’s ridiculous.

Low miles mean it is not driven open. I don’t understand people who buy really nice sports cars, JUST TO DRIVE THEM ONCE PER MONTH DURING THE SUMMER AT 30 MPH ON A STRAIGHT SECTION OF ROAD.

I hope that put enough emphasis on the proper parts that you can piece together that I’m not talking about you if you’re tracking it, because your car may have low miles, but you’re not a part of the second group! You see, by qualifying my statement, I excluded people who get the kind of enjoyment out of their cars that I understand, LIKE YOU.

Also, I said I’M GLAD THEY ENJOY IT. Just because I don’t understand it, it doesn’t mean I don’t get that they DO enjoy it, somehow. It just doesn’t make sense to me.

And if you don’t know somebody (usually an older lady or gentleman) with a nice car that is built for performance driving (whether it’s AMG Mercedes, Porsche, Corvette, or something else), who only drives it the way I described, I’d honestly be quite surprised.

Okay, I lied, I’m going to :picard: you since you so completely missed the point of what I was talking about.

:picard:

Lets take baby steps. Explain how having low miles equates to driving slowly on straight roads?

If that is your logic, how does high miles not indicate that you do anything other than cruise on the thruway?

Oh yea, guess what… it doesn’t. Neither of them do, the connection MAKES NO SENSE. You are arbitrarily using one fact to support a conclusion that is not linked in any way shape or form.

And people can own “fast cars” and not want to track them for lots of reasons. To many, a Ferrari, or AM is considered a piece of artwork, and the aesthetics and prestige are more enjoyable than beating the car in to the ground.

Lots of people that may not be “enthusiasts” buy M/AMG/S cars because they are the top of the line for that particular brand meaning that they typically come with better everything from styling to interior trims to options in addition to just stopping and going. It isn’t like they are buying a stripped out race car and driving it to the grocery store now is it?

Your argument is fairly retarded. You are welcome to your own opinion; I’m just here to point out that it is moronic.

Alright, let’s take baby steps. IT DOESN’T. However, the drivers that I’m describing are a subset of low mileage drivers. A->B != B->A. Stop reading my posts like it is.

I understand that they feel that way, but I don’t understand why. Their beauty to me is in their function, even more than in their appearance.

I’m not making an argument. I’m making a statement of my opinion.

Thank you for welcoming me to have one.

It’s your opinion that it’s a moronic opinion, but in my opinion that’s because you’re a moron. :grouphug:

Oh good god you two get a room.

Nice car- but try to convince him to get at least 1 no front plate ticket before putting the plate on- looks much better with the cover IMO.