Digital Speedometer Mileage

[LEFT]Anyone here know anyone who can lower them? Will the dealer do it? Anyone know how much that typically runs?

I want to sell my LED’ed out speedometer that reads 91,xxx miles but I can’t find one on ebay within a couple thousand miles so I’m considering buying one with like 160kmi on it but I want to know if it’s possible to match it to what my actual car is. Otherwise, if it’s a great hassle I’ll just bite the bullet and rip the LED’s out of mine and put the bulbs back in. I lose like $70 that way though.

Not trying to do anything illegal here. Just trying to replace parts and maintain accurate mileage information. If the dealer does it, all I need to do is bring them both speedometers and my paperwork right?

Picture of the speedometer I’m trying to sell:

http://www.ilyakol.com/Maxima/LED/LEDSpeedometer.JPG
[/LEFT]

digital mileage is either stored in the BCM or the gauge cluster? are you sure it’s in the cluster in yours?

and to answer your question NO you can not set the mileage on a cluster since it is 100% illegal

It’s in the cluster. I’ve used a parts cluster while mine was getting LED’ed with 200+ kmi on it and it read as such.

And even the dealer can’t do it? A Nissan dealer with paperwork and all that jazz?

correct, no one can reprogram it. the data is hard burned in to the memory inside the cluster

no one will do it plus it’s illegal

I know it’s illegal, but I thought since it’s an actual manufacturers dealership and all paperwork would be provided, etc. that it’s doable. I’m having the hardest time finding one with similar miles.

Altering a vehicle’s mileage in any way is a federal offense IIRC, the owner of BUL Auto on Fuller Road got nailed for it a few years back I remember.

you are 100% wrong.

when clusters go bad you dont just buy a new one and start at zero.
they can, infact, be programmed Ilya. you just have to find a friendly dealer that is willing to work with you with proper documentation.

jeeps/chryslers have cluster problems quite frequently. they can be sourced from a junkyard and be programmed to read proper mileage. common practice.

I’m not looking to do anything illegal. It’s hard to imagine that with proper documentation and explanation, I can’t get it done legally.

Fuck the law. Bunch of whiners in here.

Why are you swapping the cluster? Just to sell one with LEDs? Just swap the LEDs or swap the odometer unit. Knowing Nissan it’s probably a separate unit inside the cluster.

OP is on ignore list, but as far as everybody else…changing an odometers mileage is NOT ILLEGAL if you go the proper route. Go to the dealer, they can probably do it…it’ll be $$$$ though.

you CAN get it done legally. you just need proper documentation. bring it to a friendly nissan dealer and they should be able to hook you up. like i said. it was common practice at the jeep/chrysler dealer i worked at.

The LED’s on this cluster are hard wired/soldered to the back of the speedometer. They aren’t drop in LED bulbs. If they were, I’d just replace em. I can get more than $100 for my LED speedometer, but a stock one is only like $40 if I find a decent deal. That’s why I’d rather not de-LED my current one. If it comes to that, I guess I’ll have to bite the bullet and lose out on the profit.

I’ll give Nemith and Lia a call soon and see what happens. I’m out in Connecticut for work today. Leaving right now.

I don’t understand why the fuck you’re selling yours… is it broke?

stop being a ricer.

Is something wrong with your cluster? I dont see why you need to swap anything.

let me see if I understand this correctly: you have burned out LEDs in the cluster and want to just replace it with a regular one because its cheaper?

Sounds like a big hassle and lot of expenditure for something small, but to each his own…

there is a guy in canada that does it, i used him when i switched clusters on my old mazda. google that shit

it’s not illegal to change the mileage on the cluster, get that fact straight.
it’s illegal to change the mileage of a VEHICLE.

there is a company that does it out of WA. ill try to find the link. there is a computer program the use. a lot of subaru guys go this route when they swap in STi clusters.

So the general concensus in here is that nobody knows what they are talking about.

damn brew, swinging and missing a lot lately.