DirecTV customers who like hockey...FREE SERVICES INSIDE

Currently, DirecTV has no contract in place with Comcast to keep the channel VS. As you know, it’s one of the only channels left that actually broadcasts hockey. I saw a thread on a hockey forum that I am a member of with several DirecTV customers calling customer service and bitching up a storm. While not all received some kind of perk, others have gotten $20 credit for six months ($120) and free HD for one year ($10/month; $240 total credit), free NHL Center Ice, and free NFL Sunday Ticket.

Customers with the most luck are those with the best programming package, total choice or whatever, long term customers, those out of contract who can switch without early termination fee, and customers who order movies/special event programs.

Might as well give it a try, who knows, you could get lucky and get some kind of break. I’m going to call tomorrow myself and give it a try, my contract is up in a month anyway.

VS isnt going anywhere though

Well you don’t have it now. You gotta play like you’re not going to have it either.

Also, you must ask for the retention department in order to get any of these perks.

really? i had no idea VS was gone… whoops

i guess its easy cuz its not hockey season and the TDF is over

I already have Center Ice, but its worth calling up to bitch, I always like getting free money.

verified just did this free centre ice for the season

I was going to call, about to get into and then thought “How exactly do I start this?”

What do you actually say? “I’m not getting VS and I’m a big whiney bitch who wants free stuff…” ???

Someone help me with the initial dialog. I also don’t want to start with “My friend told me that he got free stuff by calling and bitching about not having VS, so here I am bitching as well… can I haz free cheezburger?”

same boat as you

just call up and say i’m a big hockey fan, and i’m very disappointed that i can’t watch versus. one of the reasons i have directv is because of all the sports channels you offer, including versus. i’ve been a loyal customer for x amount of time and would really hate to have to switch due to a lack of being able to watch hockey games, especially since versus carries a majority of the games in the US, including the playoffs.

make sure the package you have now includes versus though, they probably wont give you anything if you didn’t have it to begin with lol.

baldy, link when we called they said they have been fielding a ton of these calls. i never directly asked for it or for it to be free i just called and said how upset i was about them not having versus and said that if it could not be resolved i would consider going with time warner the first rep offered $50 off but then she said well thats too much let me transfer you and then i told the same story to a guy higher up and he offered to give it me for free. took about 15 minutes.

I just called. The first guy was well aware of the VS going away but didn’t offer anything. I calmly said “Are you offering anything to customers who are complaining?” and he transferred me to someone in the Center Ice package department. I said “He sent me here saying that DirecTV is offering it free to customers who are calling up about VS to help them out.”

She said “hold on a minute…” and came back saying “We’re offering 50% off of the NHL Center Ice package for this problem.” I said “No thanks, I don’t want to pay $85 for my channel missing.” I then asked her if they’re offering anything else, since I don’t want to pay MORE but also don’t want to leave. She said “That’s all that we’re doing right now. There is nothing else.”

She essentially told me “Well, we’re sorry that we may lose you as a customer but we’ll be happy to close your account out when the time comes.”

What kind of bullshit are you guys talking about with Free NHL Center Ice and a year of free HD. They essentially closed the door in my face!

Center Ice won’t let you see the games on VS anyhow. I’ve had Center Ice for 2 years now, if its on VS its not on Center Ice unless they plan to change that now with the whole VS mess. I’m calling up later tonight to bitch, I’ll gladly take 50% off my Center Ice bill, its better than nothing.

So, that offer was just fluff? I’m shocked they didn’t send me to the retention department. The girl had to look up the deal first, then just said “Sorry… ttyl” and hung up.

I just called back and am now on hold with the retention department. I’m upset and I don’t even know why. I feel sorry for whoever picks up the phone.

UPDATE: I called and asked specifically for the Retention Department AFTER the other calls. I explained to the guy, apologizing that I was upset and said “I talked to two others who said they could help me, but didn’t seem to know much about how to help. When I said I didn’t want to pay extra she was no help. The first gentleman was very nice and transferred me. She offered 50% off, but I don’t want to pay more just because I’m missing VS.”

He came right back saying “Well, because of your issues I will be glad to give you NHL Center Ice free of charge. I apologize for the problems you had on the phone. Also, I just saw a problem in your billing with HD and DVR charged seperate. I can save you a few dollars a month and fix that for you.”

:slight_smile:

I’m happy again. Yet, pissed off that the woman that changed over my SD to HD service did it wrong and I’ve been paying a few extra dollars a month for a year now! Should I tell him “What are you going to do about THAT?” LOL

^ Yup. It’s annoying. They also black out the Sabres away game opponent’s feed so you’re forced to watch the shitty non-HD MSG feed. Every other out of market game that on there you get both the home team and away teams feed, and its about 98% chance that at least 1 of them is in HD.

Are you talking about the NHL Center Ice package? What’s the point in actually buying it if you don’t get anything additional out of it for our Sabres games?

I have it now and I’m sitting here thinking “What is it?” :rofl:

I need to do this shit. I am pissed that there is no more VS, therefore I will be missing the 7 or 9 games that the Buffalo Sabres will be playing on VS. I will definitely be calling soon enough.

You get to watch every other NHL game that’s going on. For me I love it, I would love it even more if they wouldn’t black out the Sabres away game feeds though.

I just called Direct TV to bitch about VS and got $60 off my bill.

Or…you could just make the switch to Dish Network…we still have VS…and NHL Center Ice. And are cheaper…do it n00bs. PM me…

DirecTV>*

DirecTV gave us center ice for free also. Thanks guys. I love watching as many games as I can.