Dish / DirecTV + Sabres

The deciding factor between DTV and Dish for me was the HR20 (DTV’s HD DVR) was buggy as hell at the time I was buying. There was talk on the forums of some wonder software revision that was supposed to make it all better, but after living with Adelphia’s POS box for 2 years I wanted something that was proven in the field. Couldn’t be happier with my 622.

I believe the software update for the HR20 was pushed down, not sure if it was the wonder fix or not. I haven’t kept up on the news since I really don’t care about the HR20.

wrong

had mine for 4 years now, never an issue, it might be slow sometimes, but new software downloads fix that instantly.

As I stated above that was just how it worked for me, for almost a year no matter which software update came around. DTV basically couldn’t find the problem, even after getting new boxes/remotes so I gave them the boot. This is my second time with dish and I have never once had a dvr problem. It seems Like I am not the only person with this problem.

dish networks kung fu hd channel > *
i wish i could pay for just that discovery hd and speed.

HAHA…i love hearing that HD crap. Everyone is going to offer more HD programming simply b/c its the wave of the future. The 2nd satellite is almost guarenteed to be delayed from the launch pad explosion a couple months ago. They are naming channels that aren’t even planning on going high def. TW is currently bringing up lawsuits like crazy over this DTV add.

As for Dish’s $29.99 package that doesnt include RSN’s. Add $6 a month for RSN’s and your all set. I wouldn’t complain about shopping channels. Just skip by them in your guide, they are a part of what keeps price points down.

depends on what reciever you get, i know the new HD tivos are having issues, but you need it to view mpeg4, which dtv is going to in the future (all local HD is mpeg4)

i have the hr10-250 HD Tivo and like i said i really havnt had any major issues with it being slow. Tivo started the DVR craze and im sticking with it, lol. Im afraid to get the new reciever as tivo is no longer on it, just dtvs dvr. catch 22 for me in the future.

???

are you living in 2000? its more difficult to find a non hd tv in the store now. i would its the now, and not so much the future… or maybe even the past seeing as how true hd (1080p) is the current future.

I dont know what your getting at? I’m saying everyone is going to start adding HD. Currently there are only about 50 HD nationwide channels. I know it’s more difficult to find an HD TV but there is a difference between having an HDTV and watching High Definition.

Also 1080P will be a loooong time down the road. the 1080i isn’t even being broadcasted to its full potential and there are lawsuits against DTV about running HD Lite programming also.

There is plenty to watch in HD, but the future holds more (for all companies- DTV, TW, and Dish). I think thats what both of you are trying to get at. Just saying it in different ways.

Kung Fu HD does rule though!!

Exactly. All companies are going to get more HD. Dish has about 60% of the HD channels out there where DTV has probably 15% or so and they are all broadcasted in HD-Lite. As more HD channels come out all companies will pick them up. They try to act like they’re the only one’s with HD plans. Good advertising but its a load of crap especially when they are naming channels that don’t have plans in the near future to switch like Sci-Fi.

yeah dish took over Voom, please thats hd extra lite right there.

thats where all the extra HD channels come from

15 of Dish’s nationwide channels are voom. These are also HD Lite which sucks and can be very repetative but there are some cool programs when you go through them. I’m a big fan of RAVE b/c the picture and sound of some of those concerts are amazing. That still leaves 16 nationwide HD channels where direct has somewhere around 10 all HD Lite and not always broadcasted in HD b/c they have to save bandwith.

99% of the HD stuff I watch comes from 2, 4 and 29, all of which I get from my antenna. So what does that tell you about Dish’s HD channels?

Any word if they’re adding Versus HD? That’s the one HD channel I’d really like to see added, before the playoffs if possible.

i got vs hd on dtv
watched the sabres pens in HD last week

I wouldn’t count on it for DISH.

they told us that the locals are to be on by the end of march but 01audis4 said they said the same thing last month(before i worked there) so who knows when hd locals will be available. iam not being biased because i work for the one company but as a person who is anl about how things get routed i am not a fan of dish networks dual dish setups some houses look like there landing strips for air planes

:word: & :word: :frowning:

Can anyone explain Hd lite to me. I know Voom sucked and that’s why they went under, but it also was terrible timing for them to jump into the HD industry.

As far as the DTV HR20, I have had mine for a long time now and have had 0 problems with it, and I have 4 other R15-300’s in my house and they all work great. Most the time when I hear about these “terrible problems” with our equipment, it ends up being the user and not the equipment.

Also most of the HD I watch is off my off-air anyway regardless of whether or not we added 500 more Hd stations all I really watch is local anyway.

On Topic: I find it hilarious that every time someone posts about the satellite it turns into this^ all this person wanted to know was if they could get the Sabres game, and yes you can.

HD should be broadcasted in 1920X1080. All of DirecTV is broadcasted in 1280X1080 or lower. Dish has about 9 channels in 1920X1080, the MPEG 4 channels they broadcast are something like 1440X1080. The voom are 1280X1080 I wish both companies would just put everything in full resolution.

u wont be able to get locals when they come anyways with ur regular dish.