drifting with s13 vs. s14

I’ve noticed a lot of people drifting with their s13’s and not with s14’s.
Is there some difference between these two cars that makes the s13 superior?

I know drifting’s possible with both obviously, but it’s just something i thought about.

What are your thoughts?

i always thought people drifted with S13s because they’re cheaper. and if you hit something, who really cares, they’re cheap and easy to find both parts and cars, S14s on the other hand are much more rare and a lot nicer.

s13 has like twice the power to weight ratio, for maximum drift.

actually I think simplemind7 hit the nail on the head. cheaper = better drift machine

Both cars are pritty much the same on the inside, just look a little different on the outside from what i have been told. Its all about what you can afford I guess. If i knew i was going to get into drifting i would have bought a shit box but i bought a kouki. Now i have the kouki and want to drift. If i total the car ill just buy a zenki for 4g and transfer all my expensive parts that will hopefully still be in working condition.

i would agree with cost probably being the main factor. s13s are easy to find and do not cost a whole lot to buy or modify, even stock parts are easy to access. s14s being a bit more costly and parts costing more as well, people tend to drift them less.

Im no expert ka24power but I have to disagree with your power to weight ratio statement and all. S13 curb weight = 1224 kg / s14 curb weight = 1253 kg. Im pritty sure if i took out my speakers and spare tire I would be a bit lighter then a s13.

lol, i should’ve put in some [sarcasm ] [ /sarcasm ] …i was kidding man

Sorry i didint seee the sarcasim. Anyways everyone knows s14’s look better drifting then s13’s do. Its a fact i found it on wikipedia.

a lot of S14 owners are show car ricer boys, thats why.

I’ve drifted both, they both drift.

I wonder if i fall in the alot catagory.

I’ve had an appifany recently, and it somewhat pertains to this topic.

What I’ve noticed about the Japanese and why everyone thinks they do such crazy things and such in regards to their motorsports (i.e. drifting) is because they don’t build the cars for the sake of buiklding the cars. They build them for the sake of going fast and in some cases sideways. It’s a REAL lifestyle, as opposed to the US and Canadian ‘automotive lifestyle’.

What ‘we’ do here is build the cars for the sake of the cars and are therefore to afriad to push the limits and see where the automotive scene can go. The Japanese usually don’t get too attached to a car. And if you notice who is most succesfull in the motorsports world here in Canada are the one’s that don’t care, they just want to have fun.

Take S1DC for example. I know some of them ,not on a really personal level though, so I’m speaking from a pretty neutral perspective here. They want to take their team to the next level. This year they will have 2 or 3 driver’s in the DMCC. Bing has competed at high levels of drifting. Crashed a few cars. And just keeps going.

Jesse from team S1DC for example. He has used this line time and time again and I like to quote him, because it speaks to me very well. He says (and I’m paraphrasing) “Why are you all afraid to crash your $2000 cars?”

This is the mentality we all need. This will allow the motorsports in Canada to really excell (spelling?).

I hope people will begin to learn this eventually. The one’s who are making it big clearly have.

GO BIG OR GO HOME. Simple as that.

Im pulling this one out of my ass, but i think the reason why most people are scared to ruin their car is because it also serves as their DD in the summer.

Well then their live’s should stop sucking.

i agree with what dan is saying, i would love to have a daily driver for the summer that isint shit, but then again, there is just something inside that makes you want to go faster, and push harder and overcome and succeed. I remember watching something on keiichi tsuchiya’s drifting carrer, and how he would practise over and over, pushing himself and his car to the limit, to the point where he would of nearly totalled his baby ( AE86) but he would just save up the cash, get the car repaired and go right back out there practising. Maybe im talking a little to much from a no0b’s point of view, but im positive on what im going to do, create a circuit worthy s13. One thing that i have noticed about that, would be that alot of people tend to use S14’s for grip. Is it because of the slightly improved suspension? Or? Something i’d really like to know.

+1 Hahaha

I thought I missed the boat on drifting cause i bought an s14 so thanks for bringing back the hope guys haha.

It Probably Is to do with price…

But also Ive driven both s13 and s14… the s13 feel a lil more nimble…and smaller… Not by much, but they do…

and Dan your soo right! Over in japan they build the car to perform! Performance over beauty.

The north amaricans really need to start seeing this… (I think they have started to with the RICE scene finnaly Dieing.) lol… and true performance based cars showing up more and more often.

People need to decide what they want from their cars. If they want a show car, build one. If they want a performance car, build one.

Problem is you get people trying to make both in one car. And barely anyone in NA has the balls or dough to do that for real and use both for their purposes! I.e. take a drift car to a car show, and take a show car to a drift competition!

drifting ftw :mrgreen:

It has all to do with price and nearly nothing to do with platform. You can pick up an S13 for under a grand, an S14 will run you atleast 4-5. Hell, the G is ridiculously easy to drift, but you sure as shit won’t see me doing it :stuck_out_tongue:

Price easily. Goodluck finding almost any S14 chassis FS now a days.