Driving a RHD car in Canada

Hey guys im interested in buy a silvia or 180SX and i was wondering for those who drive RHD Vehicels is it impractible driving in canada?? Does it become irrittating or is it the opposite?..i dunno if i sound like an idiot asking these questions i like the idea of owning a RHD car but im not sure if ill regret once i have one and start driving it. Also wat kind of trouble do u get from cops?? Some of u might say im stupid cause there are LHD 240s here but honestly one from japan comes with either a CA or SR originally in it which i think is better than a swap and the cars have next to no rust which we all know is a common problem with 240s in canada, mind u i just like RHD. I hope your answers are the ones im looking for. Thanks for your time

1. Left hand turns become dangerous if there’s a car in the other left turn lane. Passing also becomes dangerous. That is, if you are on a street with one lane per side.

2. Cops will likely notice you more. They’ll be a little confused when the driver seat is empty and the car is moving.

3. Sounds like you just wanna be JDM tyte.

4. Just save up your money and buy a clean 240sx. It’s less hassle in the end.

5. Oh yeah, the turn signals are on the opposite side. Along with the wiper switch. I think the turn signal indicator is reversed too… I.E. Left is right and right is left.

6. From what I’ve seen, Silvia’s and 180’s have shitty frame rails. I.E. there’s a large centre section missing due to the different rules and regulations. That means it will most likely rot faster if you drive it in winter or just after winter.

So yes, it’s impracticle to buy a JDM 240sx because you want to drive in the passengers seat.
Just my opinion though. You’re the one with the money so do whatever you want with it.

my buddy has a rhd skyline he loves it he found it impractical at first but now he has a 6 inch lcd screen in dash with i pin camera by his left headlight which allows him to see the other lanes kinda handy but pricy to do but id say its worth it

Its no different from a LHD. Peoples “buddies” may have one but I personally own one and I gotta tell you its fun as hell.

its easy but lhd is better

Yeah its just his opinion…imo your ^^^ making it sound to complicated…if he has the money I think its a fine idea. Clean swap, clean chassis…etc.

i have also driven rhd in canada, and i own 4 rhd cars… it’s no big deal… how ever when u get smoked in a left hand turn now u die instead of your passenger… that’;s the biggest negative imo the vison problem can be addressed with cameras which proboboly give an even better view than u get with lhd haha. the frame rail thing doesn’t matter most us/cdm 89’s don’t have that chunk of frame ethier… if you wanna be balling weld in square tube frame connectors and make the frame actually useful. unlike the single layer of body steel that section is normally.

its no different. unless if your retarded with your left hand and cant shift

ive driven rhd in canada for two years, never oce been even pulled over by cops and ive cruised right along side them on two lane roads

its not jdm tyte either, its smrt since jdm imports are typically cleaner and less money then the equivalent of a cdm vehicle

take your time at lights when turning left
i only go when the light is pretty uch red and i know no one is coming what so ever, even if people behind me are honking away and getting pissed, i wait it out as long as humanly possible

turn signals are backwards so it takes a few drives to get use to

Matty, most people buy RHD cars because it’s RHD + the JDM/Cool factor. Not really for the fact that most of the cars are cleaner in general.

However, they use the word “cleaner” as an excuse to not seem like ricers.

There should be a sticky about this. It’s gets discussed often.

Maybe buying a RHD is not the smartest thing to do…but it has been an intrest of mine for a long time and up till last year i didnt even think that i could ever buy one or even find one for sale lol…i didnt know that RHD cars are as common as they are 2day…so im really interested in buying one…call me a dreamer or immature but i loved watching Initial D wen i was younger and i just thought it would be nice to have one of the cars identical to the show…but also cause driving a 5spd has gotten old…it would be interesteing and fun to do everything on the opposite side lol Plus i dont like new cars but the old ones are rusty and worn out…but with a JDM car its easier to restore i think so

just buy a built usdm 240sx for near the same money you can get that clean frame your talking about with an sr (swaps no diff then a stock one).

Mael

Find insurance first before you buy anything. Chances are you’ll be stuck paying super high premiums if you even find a company that will insure one anymore.

Well Oni-Kyan how often do u find USDM 240s with a JDM frontend, a clean frame no rust on the car with an SR swap for $6000?? Its pretty hard right?

mine if I take a lot of parts off
silvia for 6k id be looking it over pretty good too

a buddy of mine bought a rhd miata…cool little thing…
you also get interesting aftermarket stuff from japan that you don’t normally get here.

but the biggest drawback I found when I took it for a weekend was going through drive thru at timmy’s. I had to yell from my seat to order…and then had to get out and run around to pay for the coffee…and…you have to do that when entering car parks as well. Like…pressing a button to lift the gate arm to enter a garage…driving into a condo and need to press the button to call your friend to let you in…etc…all that stuff gets really annoying after awhile.

just reverse through drive-thrus

ive done it… the look on their face is priceless

im definatly going to give this a try lol

lol, u serious? i haven’t thought of that…must be a hilarious sight

I reveresed through once just for fun because my friend was ordering and i wasn’t gonna buy anything, the Face of WTF :open_mouth: is always priceless even from the cars behind you cracking up… I have a video of it somewhere with me doing it in my passat its funny stuff…