Drones

Yep. You have to register assault weapons in NY too. An estimated 4.5% of NY’ers followed that law. I bet that less than 1% of drone owners follow this one.

They should have made the minimum weight a couple pounds.

Seriously at 1lb even buying a crappy thing at the mall could make you non compliant. There are “drones” that are over a pound that can’t get anywhere near high enough to matter.

I can’t wait till the FAA starts locking up 12 year olds after Christmas

Amazing how much safer a $5 registration fee makes the country. We should try the same thing with jihadis.

I’m okay with this, but is there criteria for the types of drones that need to be registered? I.e. If someone had a cheapo 8" one from amazon do they have to register that too?

The irony will be when a terrorist drone kills Americans after Obama has droned the shit out of their countries. Just wait, I am sure it is coming. Maybe they will drop some C4 into the Superbowl or something terrible like that.

Anything over half a pound which is anything that isn’t super small
made for indoors.

its pretty fucking stupid registering one does nothing

You’re also not registering each drone with a serial number with they FAQ says register one and use that reg for every drone you have.

Once registered can you load up on evil options?

I was playing with my friends drone and it can be set to follow the remote. For example if I were to ride my bike around the block it would follow at the specified distance. I thought this was pretty cool and instantly though that would be amazing and wondered if I could get one to follow my track car around a race track. Does anyone make a drone or ever RC chopper or plane that can handle those speeds to follow a car. Say 110-120mph. The reason I would want it to follow closely is so that it does not take a shortcut following the car around a turn and drive into the woods. It would make for some really cool video.

it seems this isn’t to stop people from using drones, but get a location of drone owners, especially within 5 miles of an airport.
this seems to be a big thing since manned aircraft get complaints of drones. so when a report comes in, they can say these are the coordinates we saw a drone, then they can cross reference on some map the addresses of all people within 1 mile of that sighting and narrow down who to go after…

I haven’t gone over 400ft up. I really don’t want to register, but I can already imagine me flying my drone 30 feet high on my own property and some neighborhood brown eye asks for my certificate and I don’t show them and they call the cops and make up some story i’m flying it over their pool watching their 400lb wife in a bikini swim, then it escalates and i’m paying some BS fine…

but the 13 year old registration? and if you’re not 13 a 13 + year old has to register it? and one registration covers all your drones… but if you let a friend borrow your drone you have to pass the certificate along to them… so is the cert tied to the drone or the person?

interesting to see what happens dec 21st…

At least if they made you register a drone with a serial number they could figure out who owns it if something happened.

This is just a giant waste of time and money which gains nothing.

The fact that you guys are trying to make sense of this, makes me smile.

I havent been able to tell what is classified as a “drone”. Do they make the distinction somewhere for the capability of autonomous flight? Do you need to register a basic quadcopter with no FPV and no autonomy?

What is an unmanned aircraft system (UAS)?A UAS is the unmanned aircraft (UA) and all of the associated support equipment, control station, data links, telemetry, communications and navigation equipment, etc., necessary to operate the unmanned aircraft.
The UA is the flying portion of the system, flown by a pilot via a ground control system, or autonomously through use of an on-board computer, communication links and any additional equipment that is necessary for the UA to operate safely. The FAA issues an experimental airworthiness certificate for the entire system, not just the flying portion of the system.

Correct me if im reading it wrong, but by that definition, isnt EVERY rc aircraft considered a drone now? What if I am flying a fucking RC blimp.

You’re correct anything have .5 lbs

HEY GUYZ, DO YOU LIKE MY NEW DRONE??

https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/model_aircraft_spec_rule.pdf

SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT.

(a) In General.–Notwithstanding any other provision of law relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if–
(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;
(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;
(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and
(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport)).

(b) Statutory Construction.–Nothing in this section shall be construed to limit the authority of the Administrator to pursue enforcement action against persons operating model aircraft who endanger the safety of the national airspace system.

© Model Aircraft Defined.–In this section, the term ``model aircraft’’ means an unmanned aircraft that is–
(1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;
(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft; and
(3) flown for hobby or recreational purposes

I know the original thing with drones was flying one without line of sight

Problem: With the massive increase in the RC/Drone hobby, especially ones that allow even entry level toys to fly beyond line of sight and into heavily traveled commercial airspace more and more commercial airline pilots have been reporting close encounters with drones in their airspace. No one but idiots contests the dangers of a drone getting sucked into a commercial airline engine.

Solution: Mandatory post-purchase registration of all drones over 1/2 pound. Mandate a serial number, illegible to anymore more than a foot away from the drone, be affixed to all drones.

Outcome: Ok, lets assume 100% compliance with the registration (won’t happen, but fuck it, go big on the HOPE). 6 months from now a commercial pilot narrowly misses a drone on approach to the Buffalo airport. So what now? The FBI can lookup how many drones are registered in WNY but they have no idea who was in the air at what time. Even if they go door to door and talk to every single person they still have zero proof of which drone was actually in the air. Not to mention who says it had to be someone with a WNY registered drone and not just someone visiting a friend and showing off their cool new toy? We won’t even talk about all the unregistered ones because, HOPE and all.

So what did we accomplish? We put another nonsense regulation on the books that did absolutely nothing to address the problem or make us safer but did manage to collect somewhere around 3.5 million dollars on the 700k drones that were expected to ship in 2015.

And that my friends is just another example of how incompetent our government is at actually solving problems. They’re pretty good at finding cool new ways to tax you in the name of safety though.

^ Like