Dunnville vs Toronto Motorsports - Track Reviews

Ok, take this with a grain of salt, as we all know I’m full of shit anyway.

http://www.torontomotorsportspark.com/raceway/artwork/atrackbig.jpg
Toronto Motorsports Park
Ok, based off this map the start finish line is at the end of the upper pits, and you run clockwise. We were running the full course when I was there and I was driving a '01 BMW 330i. You start off wide open, head down scrub a bit of speed turn in and the track widens out to probably 75ft or so and opens up into straight #2. At this point you are carrying a decent bit of speed, IIRC I was into 4th gear here. Brake hard, dodge the deer sized rabbit, and turn in. This is where the map is deceiving. Turns 3, 4 and 5 look like decent sweepers… and other than turn 1 they probably were the best sweepers there. The whole damn course was entirely to tight. And that was my biggest gripe. 3, 4, and 5 had decent flow leading into the 90 left hand turn. Brief scrub on the brakes and a bit of a late apex was working well for me in the left hander, the little jog in the track to the left was entirely more abrupt than it looks on the map. But you could stay WOT through it and get on the brakes HARD right after you crashed over the right hand curbing. Toss the car into what felt like a 15mph left hand and one of the most annoying turn arounds I’ve ever driven through. Then the final section leading upto the front straight again. This part was FUN and driving a varying line through it you could DEFINITELY set yourself up and gain some decent speed, sadly there was a giant concrete wall there which I didn’t want to go anywhere near so I was only going maybe 6/10’s through the final 2 turns. The track had good pavement, good curbing, and pretty good runoff. It is very much like a big BIMP (Batavia [font=Verdana]go kart track) without elevation changes. It’s a good place to go test and tune, but IMO is wayyy to small and abrupt. The track has almost zero flow and even changing my line I did NOT feel like I was being rewarded. Add onto that the price and the BULL SHIT sound testing the sprung on us out of no where. I doubt I will return. The contract said “acceptable sound levels” when we got there they sound tested every car and then tested all day on the track and several cars were not allowed to run for being over the limit (103db IIRC). Hell the STOCK BMW I was driving did 90db. What it comes down to, was I had fun, but I felt like I was being dicked around due to the sound regulations and from a price point it just doesn’t make sense for me. Add gas, tires, brakes, etc etc and I can do a weekend at Watkins Glen for maybe $100-$200 more. Plus, like I said, the course had NO flow, it really just felt like someone bent up a coat hanger and said “make that” to the paving guys. I’m sure it would be fun in a Formula 250 shifter.

Price per day (10am-4pm) ~$150
Top Speed ~100mph
Avg Corner Speed ~20-40mph
Avg Runoff ~50-100ft
[/font]

http://www.dunnvilleautodrome.com/pics/dunnvilleautodrome-trackmap-lg.jpg

Dunville Autodrome
I was just there on Friday for NYSpeed Trackday #1. I was driving Brent_strong’s S2000 on some SERIOUSLY lacking tires (205/55R16 RE92’s all the way around). So needless to say I was giving it up in some of the corners. But anyway, enough complaining as I’m 0/3 on my own cars right now. The track, as usual, is run clockwise. Coming down the front straight I was braking while either in 4th or bouncing the limiter in 3rd right around the “paddock bend”. Grab second turn in, WOT for a split second on the brakes hard again, brakes, late apex, WOT in 2nd. I was short shifting second at about 7900rpm and found that I could then got WOT in 3rd through the sweep and be at the hit the limiter in 3rd on the clubman straight. I definitely did a few 4 wheel drifts through the sweep due to tire selection. There was an odd section of pavement at the apex with a few bumps in it that helped unsettle the chassis, probably my biggest complaint other than the chicane barrels (but more on that later). From there it’s a spread out turn around, two fairly tight right handers that reward you for going early, then late with some decent exit speed heading up to the left hand kink for the turn around into the hanger straight. I noticed I gained on A LOT of people in the left kink here. Most people were braking way to early IMO as they were going into the kink. I was still on the throttle in 3rd until I was well past it. Something I discovered early on in the day when I botched 2 shifts trying to get my braking done early. The turn around was a real balancing act for me between vtec, no tires and what seemed like a slightly slick corner. But I used it as an excuse to drift around on a few laps :wink: Wide open down into dagmar, grab second, and go for it. It was REALLY easy to trail brake it into the right hander leading into the Curve Grande if you got happy with the brakes here, also made for an interesting setup into the curve. I found myself going WAYYYYYYY to early into dagmar for most of my first two sessions on the track, but corrected that in the second hour or so. The curve grande was another place where I found myself wishing we had 245’s or so on the car. I had A LOT of trouble balancing speed without sending the car into a significant amount of oversteer. A good double apex was allowing me to be well into 3rd by track out. Down the front straight and dive between the barrels used to mark the chicane… a gripe of mine. I dont mind the chicane, but I honestly would’ve prefered to see jersey barriers than those damn barrels. They made me feel like I could (and those that saw me can attest that I did) flat foot it through there. Most of the first few sessions I was lifting slightly in 3rd and turning in and going WOT through. At one point I had Zong (I think?) behind me and I flatfooted it at the top of 3rd through the barrels and just didnt turn quite enough and smashed the passengers side mirror into the barrel. The housing/paint etc were fine but the glass shattered into the car, all over me and the frame for the glass came in and hit me leaving a decent sized scuff on my helmet. Basically I feel that the chicane should’ve been jersey barriers to promote people to brake, or just a bunch of larger rubber cones so that if you pegged one the worst you did was leave some rubber on the paint that needed to be buffed out. As far as the track is though, it is 20x better than TMP in my opinion. The track has flow, high speed sweepers, varying approaches that actually reward you, tons of runoff room (except for maybe where the Hybrid car went off, but that’s because of the runway right there), and it’s FUN. I had a blast and will definitely be going back. It’s cheap, and a great place to test and tune, and the guy at the track (cannot recall his name) is very cool and just likes to have a good time. Very laid back atmosphere.

Price per day (4pm-9pm) ~$50
Top Speed ~110mph
Avg Corner Speed ~35-50mph
Avg Runoff ~75-175ft

Cliff notes: Dunville > TMP - BY A LONG SHOT.

And can an Admin move this to motorsports please. Wrong forum, sorry.

good read :tup:

moved to motorsports for ya

I disagree with your turn speeds. TMP is a lot faster even though (according to the respective websites) it has one more turn.

I ran TMP…1.864 miles @ 1:27.4x… 76.79 MPH
I ran Dunnville…1.375 miles @ 1:20.5x… 61.49 MPH

I dislike both courses equally as much (not that I am saying either is BAD), way too much 2nd gear action at both. But once you figure in the price it is a no brainer.

I loved the course.

The flow of the course was awesome. Spent a most of the time in second and third gear with a little bit of 4th.

For the price you couldn’t go wrong. the atmosphere was awesome and the owner rocked.

Good review :tup:

That was Monique at Dunnville - he isn’t the owner FYI.

I thought TMP had more flow than Dunnville, and that Dunnville was tighter and more technical.

^^^

Not saying you are wrong, but to each’s own. IMO TMP had NO higher speed corners other than the first one and the lines felt rushed and like garbage in almost all corners, IMO.

Not to start a debate here…but…

#1, you’re comparing a 330 w/ an S2000 for on track experience…

#2, each dB level is something like 2 or 3 times louder than the previous (91 is X times louder than 90)…but I think everyone agrees that never mentioning there would be a “hard” sound requirement and then springing it on us was fucking gay and wasted time.

#3, you’re comparing your drive in an S2000 on one track to your drive in a 330 on another.

#4, We had the track from 10am to 5pm (530 if we needed it, as per that dude that was there)…it was just so open everyone was tired by 4ish.

#5, you’re comparing a drive between a 330 and an S2000.

so were you driving a 330 on one track and an S2000 on another track?

You ran TMP…1.864 miles @ 1:27.2x… 76.95 MPH
You ran Dunnville…1.375 miles @ 1:16.2x… 64.96 MPH

After driving TMP again, in an e30, and a 350Z TT I can still honestly say I prefer Dunnville. TMP is much better for drifting through.

Mosport DDC > both,

still any track that uses second gear isn’t really a track, but just an excuse to burn up old r-comps.

Toe of the boot, second gear for a ton of cars :wink:

[quote=“MPD47,post:12,topic:14935"”]

After driving TMP again, in an e30, and a 350Z TT I can still honestly say I prefer Dunnville. TMP is much better for drifting through.

[/quote]

I completely agree. Neither is a great track by any means, but I definitely like dunnville a bit better.

[quote=“MPD47,post:14,topic:14935"”]

Toe of the boot, second gear for a ton of cars :wink:

[/quote]

Then you’re not trying hard enough :wink:

lol, I can take it in 3rd, no question there :wink:

TMP for me

Got into 5th in the straight, I like a track where you can get some speed

[quote=“jrod0187,post:18,topic:14935"”]

TMP for me

Got into 5th in the straight, I like a track where you can get some speed

[/quote]

You need Watkins Glen then, maybe the closest high speed track. I’ve had over 140mph indicated several times on the back straight. Imagine a fast car!

Yea Ive been dreaming of doing the Glen but that’ll have to wait a little while