E-testing, safety and insuarance.

Hey guys,

Thinking of buying a 240 with a swap and I’m wondering how easy it was to get through the e-test and safetying of the car. I realize that safety is the overall well being of the car and I’m not too worried about that. Little worried about the E-test thought cause it’s no longer the stock motor and my parents ain’t letting me get it if I can’t pass the test legally…their all about being legal:S Same thing goes for insurance, is there a way to have a low premium after you state to your insurance company that your car is swapped. And last question I guess is…any good insuarance companies for 18 male with a G2.

Not that it isnt possible to pass an etest legally with an SR swap but most of the time all the emissions equipement is pulled off at the time of the swap. On top of that japans standards arent the same as here so to answer your questions its going to be a crap shoot to pass an etest legally.

Not to rain some more bad news on your parade but if you mention the swap to your insurance company 99% of the time you’ll be dropped or they wont even pick you up and they’ll probably write a note for future insurance companies.

I dont want to discourage you from buying a swapped 240 but if you are hinging your purchase on the legality of the system then I suggest you look for something else. Get a 240 without the swap then maybe get an SR down the road when your parents arent all over you?

Just called up an insuarance company and said I wanted to know the price difference in insuaring two cars one with a swap and one without. Once it came down to the final nitty gritty they told me that it needed to under go an inspection to which I replied “I haven’t bought the car yet and I don’t want to if I can’t insure it” to which the operator guy put me on hold came back on about a minute later and said sure no problem we’ll insure it without this inspection nonsensce. I’m 18 had my G2 since January and I’ll be paying 224 a month for a 91 240 swapped. sounds good to me. got over my first hurdle my second is the e-test any suggestions or recommendation. Does pumping premium help? Secondly what’s looked for in a car when it undergoes a safety inspection.

THanks alot!

what does swapped mena?
motor wise?

when u test the car it is hotrod status cuz motor is swapped, u shouldn’t really have a problem passing. ive tested quite a few and so far they have passed

if it doesnt pass just get into the throttle body and make it run lean its not good to constantly with it but will not pose danger for just the safety and btw ur car should be taking premium gas correct?

haha and for insurance ur unlucky if u dont have hookups because i was offered 220 for a toyota supra twin turbo that had like 300 horses

Which insurance company did you talk to.

Hot Rod status isnt easy to obtain by the way. Just dont go into an etest and say oh yeah test it as a hot rod. You have to have a mechanic deem the car hot rod before the test.

^^ another option is getting a letter from a Nissan service manager stating, on dealer letterhead, that the car does not have the original engine

first - e-test it as is. its good to see where you stand and it may pass.

I was nervous about this happening with ym 180sx/ca18det
brought it in anyways and it passed everything with flying colours. it destoryed our e-test system.

second- if it fails, nissan dealerships can e-test a swapped car under hotrod status. this is how my sr coupe is currently e-tested, but this was doen by bthe last owner. all i know is he had it done at a dealership.

if it comes to this, no worries, hot rod status does not effect the price of insurance, altho i dont know how much the base costs are

third - don’t tell the insurance company about the swap. if they know its a turbocharged motor then you have higher premiums. i am currently getting stuck with this with my 180sx, not by choice, i had to have an inpsection done since its an import.

inspector asked me “is it twin charged” i said “no” he said “oh, ok, well that will help you out a bit”

fourth - good luck, have fun, be safe (Y)

Wow, that must be a lot of cars to inspect!

Again with the profiling? “No domestic cars are ever modified.”

Which company was this?

thats what i am going to have to do. but i am friends with the service manager or the kingston nissan and i know the main accountant so i am sitting well with that but it’s still going to be hella hard to pass. best of luck though let us know how it turns out

actually i am a licenced emission inspector and it is that easy to test it. if the motor diffrent its automatic hotrod test

hahahaha bla bla bla, I passed as if it was a normal S13, if your car is running right you should not need any of this HotRod nonsence.

Ok man look I have an SR20DET and I recently brought my car to a shop to get a “cat” installed b/c it had a straight pipe. I needed an e-test done and I wanted to pass it because cops have O2 sensors now with them and when they pull you over and suspect that your car isn’t running clean they will test it quickly on the spot, my uncle is a cop and he confirmed it. So I wanted to avoid it. My car passed on the 3rd time. The first 2 times it failed on the Nox, thats what I heard. After a quick tune it passed. I have a Hi-flow cat made for SR engines and if you need one let me know I will get you one. As for insurance don’t tell them any thing my car has been on the road for a month so I had everything done recently. I’m paying $220/month I’m 19 with a G license. Don’t worry about e-test. Bring it to a shop and tell them I need it e-tested and do anything to make it pass. Most likely if the engine is fairly new it is running clean and a quick tune up will do the job if it fails.