Engine build thoughts.

I’ve come to the conclusion I want some more power from my motor. Minus turning the boost up and potentially blowing the current one, I will be building my spare block/head up. I’ve been debating on the 1.8 rods and pistons combonation for the pure reliability and cost of them, or going with a full Pauter rod and new Wiseco Piston combonation.

There is a company that can raise the redline on the ECU, upwards of 8,000rpm. I would only prefer 7,500rpm for some more usable powerband. My problem lies within if I use the 1.8 rods and pistons, since the rod is shorter, this poses a problem by putting more sideload on the piston’s themselves. Cost vs. Reliability are also another factor. I could potenially be saving 800 dollars if I do go with the 1.8 combonation.

My other issues lie within what to actually do to the engine. I’ve been talking with a few people about extensive internal work to be done to safely and reliably over-rev that high, and here are my thoughts so far.

Block:
overbore
hone
vac cleaning
magnaflux
checking the deck
deburring
red glyphol
knifedge crank
balance crank

Rods/Pistons:
1.8l rods and pistons shotpeened and balanced
Pauter rods/Wiseco Pistons

Head:
porting/polish
new OEM valves
RPW springs

If 1.8l rods and pistons are used, ARP main bolts and ARP headstuds.
If Pauter rods/Wiseco pistons used, APR headstuds.

Thoughts, suggestions?

spend money on standalone efi and push th ebone stock engines as far as you can. they pop, swap a new one in.

have’nt we all?

truth

why go with $1000 rods and $250 pistons, I’d go with arias, or JE pistons.

Sorry not a Weisco fan unless it’s in a bike.

my wiseco’s work fine in my car

agreed…

do they make ealge rods for your car?

I would not get anything “shot peened” esp OEM hyundi parts.

what is more RPM going to give you? if i recall correctly the stoke on the tibbys are fairly large like 90mm+ if thats the case you will need a new rod to hanndle the RPMs with a decent size rod bolts…i would say stick to the stock rev limiter and Raise the boost pressure

Also i really cant understand some of the wording…Always stay away from used rods and pistons…most machine shops will not even want to touch it if the shit is used…

Stock 1.8l rods and pistons would lower the compression to 7.8:1, which would allow for a crazy amount of boost. The stroke on the Beta motor is only 83mm.

What is the weekest link…on a honda it is the rods and pistons look at stenzals car pistons + rods + turbo 400 pump gas hp

as for 7.8:1 that is not a good idea… I personally wouldent run anything lower then 9:1 in any app

The weakest part is the pistons themselves. Rods can hold up to 425whp. The guys over in Korea run the 1.8l combo on 400whp applications with no issues.