engine isn't running right.

hi, my friend has an '89 240, sohc motor, completely stock.

-the car won’t idle properly, well it won’t idle at all, it just stalls.
-its very hard to get started.
-it revvs up nice and quick once it is running.
-whenever you take your foot off the gas it tries to stall.
-engine is very gutless, no power at all.
-backfires a lot.
-its not missing on any cylinders though.

check for any leaks on the intake system and vacumn system. if those arent it then check out the dizzy cap, wires and rotors. it is likely for worn dizzy caps, and it will make your motor powerless and run like shit and backfires alot.

^^^ sounds like that and u say the engine has no power could be ur mafs aswell…

hah, we’ve already done all of what was mentioned.

we just took a video of it trying to run, i can’t post it right now but i’ll be able to later.

have u thought that it could be the battery or alternator?

back fire is a sure sign it can be ur alternator…when my alternator went my car backfired like nuts…and if it wants to die when u take ur foot off the gas it gives me a hint it could be it…u never know unless ur actually there hehe…lets see the vid!

is the engine running rich or anything? i.e. any black smoke? there can be a possibility of the ecu being busted. or leaky injectors

no black smoke. battery is so good, and we drove it for about half an hour without the alt causing any problems so i don’t think its that, you’ll see what its doing later tonight. this computer sucks too much to try to post it, i’ll do it when i get home.

It sounds simple, but did u mess around with the ignition wires? Or perhaps the rotor? I’d say make sure that’s all good, sounds like a harsh timing problem.

the previous owner has clearly tried to fix it.

it pumps gas, has a new fuel filter, new wires, new cap+rotor and it revs so perfectly good above 2500 revving wise, just makes no power underload, below 2500 it seems fairly doggy. I’m leaning towards injectors and ecu too, i’ll be checking the ecu in the next few days and if that doesn’t solve it i’ll steal injectors from my friends old motor.

timing.

Andrew,