kae help

i have a red 90 240 and the sohc engine blew so i got another 90 sohc and just finished installing it it running good but there are a few small problems

1. when the car is warmed up the idle is still at 1500 rpm and iv adjusted the throttle cable and does not help

2. i think the car is running rich then engine also shacks alot b4 it warms up

3. when i drive the car as im going through 1st as soon as i get to 4-5000 rpm it cuts out then i shift into second and it does then same and so on in every gear it wont let me go pased 4-5000 rpm

any help would be great

thanks

adjust down your idle to 700-750
then check your timing and your problmes should be solved unless you have a vacume leak.
Also you should of changed your pulgs if you didnt when you put the new motor in.

Yea, it definitley sounds like your ignition timing is out, and I pretty much agree with everything else jjm_240sx said.

You might also want to clean out your IAC if your running rich & idling high, those are both symptoms of a sticking IAC valve.

If you want to check for a vaccum leak and you have a guage it should read between 22 - 30 hg of vaccum.

Good luck man

P.S. If you dont have a guage for vaccum & think you have a leak there are plenty of other ways to check for it without a guage.

ok thanks for all the help and if someone could help me out with number 3 that would be great

well for number three it could result in not enough spark or not enough gas… Soo theres a few issues like a fuel filter, fuel pump or wires, coil… A few factors but theres ways to check but a fuel filter is a quick cheap fix and you should try that if you havent changed it before.

But thats my opinion. Before i had an issue where it wouldnt pass 4,000 rpm and it was because i only had 3 outa 4 cylinders working… one of the wires technically exploded on me lol soo id check with your wires/plugs/fuel filter… mayb your injectors… who knows :?:

fuel pump…timing mabey…but tell me this… was the newer motor that you put in idling just fine…becasue if it iwas then dont go screwing with the idle adjustment…becasue thats a half ass way of covering up the problem…

for the cut out related issue im just curious to know does ur speedometre work? if not then thats the problem and u need a new cluster…but thats just what im wondering

thanks everyone for your input i got everything working great hope to see you out there with your beaters :slight_smile: