Totaled my beater, need to fix my 240...need an expert!

alright,

so i hit some black ice today, and smoked the guard rail rather than on comming cars. So my car is toast.

Now, my 240 hasnt been working since the week before the last meet of the year for 2006.

I have a '90 hatch, blew the HG and so i got a '95 ka and dropped it in.

The car was a headache ever sicne i dropped this thing in and it hasent started up. Problem solved after a while thanks to absolum!

So now i have a new issue. I changed over the TPS and TB and swapped in a TB and TPS off a '92. The car now revs past 3000rpm (it didnt before). But now the car wont idle unless you are giving it gas. it will just stall and die. But when it is running, there seems to be no issues.

ive spent hours tryign to figure this out and ive even gotten the shop to look at it. No one seems to know what the hell is going on.

So if anyone can lend me a hand with this or know what s going on, pm me please! i need a car asap since im now carless and i need to help my gf move back to london this weekend and i also need to get to work!

couple things:

tried 2 MAF’s, same crap.
EGR is not hooked up, and wont be (dont think it makes a diff on how it runs though).
p.s. not fully hooked up. just need to connect the low pressure line.
Brakes have been bled.
coolant system has not been bled yet.
NO tach or temp gauge hooked up.
exahust leak between the CAT off the headers and the downpipe-- just need to find a donut… Its not major
Heat doesnt work, dont remember why but something to do with the heater core or something not hooked up yet?

I did not do the swap myself. Got the shop to drop my engine in and bleed my brakes. I did the harness and such.

Anyone willing to help will obv. get something in return :slight_smile:

If you need more specifics, i can tell you what you need to know!

The car is located in mississauga near QEW and erin mills pky.

I hope to God someone can help me with this one!

pm if u can help or know what the prob may be !

Thanks!

How are your battery terminals and wires? I know after I did my DE swap, the car wouldn’t idle properly. Turned out that the battery wires were screwed? My car also had a lot of vacuum leaks. Do you hear a hissing sound from your engine?

I had a simmilar issue ended up being intake piping being cracked. Even if it worked fine before…its possible you could have cracked the intake piping upon removing to swap the TB. Its a longshot but worth the try. The cracks in mine were big.

i know there is a vac leak somewhere. Still gota figure that one out.

As for the intake pipe, its got some cracks, but no holes. I think ill stick on a aftermarket tube just to see how it runs.

and my batt wires and batt are good. Battery is new and the terminals are clean.

thanks for the help!

keep the suggestions coming or someone come and help me ! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

did you change the lower intake plenum as well? what cpu are you using 95 or 92?

peace

i didnt change the lower intake mani. I changeed just the TPS and TB.

And im using a '91 DOHC ECU.

And '91 Harness

91-'93 MAF

as far as i know the lower intake mani is different on the 92 than 95. if you want
the engine to behave like a 91 you should probably change it. it could be your problem

peace

Alex may be right. The KA I swapped into my car was a '96 motor and I swapped the intake mani for a '91 unit. The '96 motor is OBDII which is why this was required. I believe the '95 motor is still OBDI unless its a late model '95. I know Andrew from this board swapped a '95 without swapping the intake mani and had no problems.

I think you should sort out your vacuum leaks first and go from there.

yea this engine is still OBD1. So i didnt change it for that reason. Im not about to change it again if that will make the car run , i just dont have the time. I barely have the time to even make it to the shop to start it up every few days!

I have posted it for sale, just cause i didnt fix anything today and i spent another 3 horus at the shop today messing around wtih it and trying to fix the vac leaks. It seems to take a little bit longer now before the engine stalls out because i found a few vac leaks, but i think there is a couple more, i can hear them!

Since i need a car ASAP, i put it for sale along with my smashed up winter car. hopefully someone will trade/buy it for tomorrow and ill have a car to drive tomorrow!

thanks for all the help though guys!

fix the rest of the vacuum leaks, i am almost positive this will fix it.

i woudl but i dont have time and this is really bad timing for me. I need a car for tomorrow!!! i honestly think its vac leaks , but i dont have the time to fix it
, so who ever buys it will be their gain my loss

could it be your distributer needs to be changed? Im not sure if thats your problem but its not that far off from the same symptoms of, what happiend to my s13 a few days ago. car starts fine and drives but shuts off and stalls while in idle, if it goes below 500. its fine now though changed it

A simple mind makes for a simple answer, I agree with fixing all vac leaks. I had a random hole in my intake tract last year and it stalled for no reason and ran like a bag of asses. Till I plugged the leak.

For the record, you DO NOT need the lower intake mani for a 95 swap, I’ve had two in my car. Chris has had plently more then that too.

iacv?