Engine Management... Help

Ok, so now that my project is well underway (in the scraping parts together form…) i’ve hit a snag, what management system do i need? I’ve looked at the choices (JWT, AEM EMS, EPROMs) but i have one question that i cannot figure out on my own. I have search, but with no avail…

What the hell is a SAFC (II) , or a Power FC? From what i get, these are a form of Piggyback Injector controller… am i right? If so, do they just control ONLY the Fuel/Air Ratio? …

Thanks for helping the retard :oops:

AEM EMS is probably what you’re thinking of when you think Standalone. As far as I’ve been able to tell, it’s a pretty powerful ECU setup.

The SAFC stands for SUPER AIRFLOW CONVERTOR, and what it does is piggy-back into your ECU. With it, you can tune the car’s fuel/air ratio, which could result in more power if the factory has safely tuned ECU settings.

I think the Power FC unit is a standalone ECU as well, but one of the other Nissan experts will have to answer that one for you!

If you’re doing modest mods, the SAFC wil be fine. All a SAFC does is fools the ECU into thinking there is more or less airflow coming into the motor and the ECU compensates by adding more or less fuel.

I think it’s when you go above 400cc injectors is where you run into problems. I’ve been told by Clark Steppler that the ECU will start to fight the SAFC for control and win, going into some sort of lean condition allowing you to limp home. I have not experienced this firsthand, nor have I heard of this happening on anyone else I know of who is running an SAFC.

The Power FC is a fully programmable factory plug in unit. You unplug your stock ECU, plug in the Power FC and start tuning.

I’m not sure what the AEM installation entails and I believe that Reg at Sumaru’s Auto has a rather powerful standalone unit for sale as well.

Thanks info,I was wondering if the SAFC was a solution for my turbo project, as i plan to run either 370cc or 555cc injectors…

The AEM EMS from what i understand from the other Turbo Altimas, is a Replacement, with soemthing like 4 maps, and complete control…

If i do go 555cc injectors, would it be better to use a EPROM (Like Enthalpy or BikiRom)?

A SAFC will only do 150% over stock.

So if stock injector size is 200cc, a safc will only be able to handle 300CC’s. (example not true injector size of a KA)

EPROMS are great but i doubt enthalpy makes them for a FWD KA. And go with a reputable tuner not some backyard guy as tuning is the single difference between your motor going pop and you motor making power.

Any suggestions for a good tuner? Autodream said they can do a FWD KA… but i haven’t looked into what they can do and cant do…

Powertech Performance if you want them to do your whole turbo Setup, or for just a Tuner, www.monsterhorsepower.com RCTS Research and Development is the most knowledgeable tuning shop in Alberta so yeah that’s where I recommend

I am using a S-AFC on my RWD sr20 240. It has HKS 272, 780cc injectors, z32 maf and a GT35R turbo. I was having issues of leanning out between 7000 and 8300 RPM with the S-AFC. All I did was rewire my Walbro Fuel pump with some 12 guage wire from the battery and put in a separate relay. This will give more voltage to the fuel pump at higher RPMs. Now all my fuel corrections stay negative. For the money, you cant beet the system. I spent maybe 60 bucks on the rewire. For timing adjustments, all I am doing is bumping base timing up 2 degrees. It works pretty good if your tight for cash and you dont want to hassel with EMS. EMS is a truly hardcore system. If you dont have any experience with standalones than dont bother, unless you get it tuned by someone AEM certified.

Nate

Well, i was looking into different options

However the SAFC seems to hate the Altima ECM, thats why only about 2 of them several dozen turbo altimas (that are known) use them and they arent pushing more than 4 PSI

There is a guy whom is making a EPROM for the Altima (he has decided that its his mission) and swears he’ll have a setup ready for plugging and playing in less than a year (which to an altima turbo is quick) so i think i’ll let him try it out or the shop in calgary…

…So many Responses…and none from KA24 owner Sigh.
A SAFC will be fine for less than 7PSI with the 370cc and N60 Maf combo if you reatrd your timing 3 or 4 degrees.

Umm, as far as i know a SAFC will only allow for a 150% increase in injector size.

so 370cc (stock) X 1.5 = 555cc (max)

I have no idea how you are doing that with 780cc injectors.

Bang for buck you may want to look into the emanage option if you can find a good shop to tune it for your setup , the SAFC2 is great but it can only tap into whats there i am going to be running a APEXI NEO on my GTIR it will be fine with big injectors and silly boost, the power FC is a very difficult item to tune even with the commander

I also have a Walbro pump, they are unstable at 12V due to the small size of the unit, a better option to look at for fuel pumps is a Factory 300ZX or a GTR which are stable a 14V and can also flow better than the 255 Walbro,

Even better would be a Bosch Hi flow pump

I guess you could also try MegaSquirt…

Has anyone tried sds out of Calgary?

http://www.sdsefi.com/