Enhanced license question for the DMV guys

Got mine the other day, my friend got his the same day too. His came with a little holder, lined with metal to hold it in, mine did not. I called the DMV about it, and the lady said that they were having problems with the holders leaving marks on the licenses, so some got shipped without them.

She said that leaving it out of the holder won’t affect the licenses performance, but I just want to make sure. If this shit dosen’t work next month, it’ll literaly ruin months of planning and cost me a boatload. I know it’s odd to ask about the ‘performance’ of an ID, but it’s got some bullshit built into it that machines at the border read, kinda like an EZPASS i guess.

way to stick a GPS on you

You can always get another one to replace it. I believe there like $10 to replace a lost ID. It’s better then running into any other problems.

reading>you

license from 2005 FTW!
edit… i forgot my 21+ lic is from this year, but isnt a enhanced one. woot :slight_smile:

I have had the enhanced license for some time no. Under no circumstance get it near any magnetic field without a shield on it or it will erase the chip. Been there done that as they say and had to get a reissue.

So I wonder if customs will deny entry into Canada if the chip is erased? I’m under the understanding that you won’t as the license has more than one thing ‘built in’ to grant access into the country.

DMV is getting called Monday regardless.

HOW DOES AN EDLWORK?
The EDL contains a Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) tag with a
unique number that can be read by specialized equipment at select
border crossing locations.
The RFID tag does not contain any personal information.
Border agents will read the RFID tag or scan the Machine Readable Zone
(MRZ) on the back of the card, simplifying your border crossing. RFID technology
has been used safely for more than thirty years and can be found
in car keys, bank cards and security access cards. For added security,
your card will be issued with a protective sleeve for storage when
not in use.

I would like to think that if the ‘RFID’ tag is messed up, that they could still scan the “Machine Readable Zone”, but I’m still calling regardless.

As someone stated… They’re tracking you.

Waste of money, you should have just gotten a passport. My wife and I have looked into this and if either of us were to get hurt and need to fly home you would have to get permission from the US Embassy as the license doesn’t work for international flights, Canada or not.

Def getting passport, it would have just been too close of a call in regards to time.

Werd. I just looked into it because I had to renew. That would blow getting stuck in another country…

i got my passport card for another 20 bucks when i got my passport last year

No shit, were you able to get the passport card before the actual passport came?

it was the other way around, i went to the passport agency in boston MA, so u get them the same day most of the time, the passport card came in the mail afterwards since it wasnt an emergency

It’s not a waste of money for people who travel on the fly up around the border, such as the case for myself transporting cars all over the damn place. If I’m in mid haul and need to pickup a car across the border, and the passport is sitting in the safe back home some 500xx miles away then it does come in hand.

It by no means does not replace your passport and may not be perfect for the everyday person, but it’s not a complete waste for everyone.

Thanks

You got your greencard? :eek3
:ahh

No, j.k.
:tongue

;p;p;

The EDL suits me well, just fucking pissed that they didn’t send the sleeve with the thing. I’m simply going to have them replace it as if I lost/stole it, and hope that the replacement comes with the sleeve. Gay, I know, but I’ve got A LOT of money into my upcoming Montreal trip, can’t risk anything.

What the shit